• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clutch options and Center force dual friction experience

Joe473

Most likely going to end up doing a clutch soon. I put a hurting on my luck 4 years ago when the stroker was new and I was still running 3.50 gears. A few questions.

Is there an 11.5" clutch/flywheel application that will fit the bronco or M5R2 bellhousing and have the 10 spline disc? Is 11 inches the most I can get? I think most 11.5" clutches were big block transmissions with thicker input shaft

Does anyone have experience with the center force dual friction? Holding power of it vs. Standard LUK? Are there holding tq ratings? Anyone using one with an engine that makes over 425ft lbs of tq? Any issues with internal slave having issue with extra release force? What's the release like?
Are the counterforce clutches really that much better with stock pedal effort?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
The centerforce dual friction is a beast. It grabs and holds. It will not slip. That’s good and bad. I ran one and actually managed to shuck the pucks off one side. Yeah shouldn’t be possible but I did it anyway
ea54454dface0c2f1603d6700476eb4e.jpg

I didn’t like the cfdf simply because it wouldn’t slip enough for my taste off road.
Most people like them. Not sure if they make a disc and plate to match your application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
A lot of owners use the Centerforce Dual Friction successfully. The design caused it to be a bit abrupt for me. I prefer the Centerforce II which has a full surface disc, rather than the individual pucks of material.
The Dual Friction may be what you want for high performance use, but from a driveability point, the Centerforce II disc is nicer to use.
Both use the same Centerforce clutch cover.

OP
OP
J

Joe473

A lot of owners use the Centerforce Dual Friction successfully. The design caused it to be a bit abrupt for me. I prefer the Centerforce II which has a full surface disc, rather than the individual pucks of material.

The Dual Friction may be what you want for high performance use, but from a driveability point, the Centerforce II disc is nicer to use.

Both use the same Centerforce clutch cover.
Thanks, do you think the center force 2 has significantly more holding power than the bronco LUK clutches?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Thanks, do you think the center force 2 has significantly more holding power than the bronco LUK clutches?

I can't answer that, but both are excellent products.
The only difference in I can tell is that the Centerforce has centrifugal weights on the diaphragm levers. That's suppose to add clamping force, but that wouldn't happen until the engine's RPM is up.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've run both LUK and CFII clutches in my '77 F150 with a 429 and NV4500 for a bunch of miles, and they both feel quite similar to me. That said, I got about 30% more life out of the CFII, not because it is necessarily a better friction material IMO, but because it clamps a little harder with the centrifugal weights, so it slips a little less over the life of the clutch. FWIW, CF supplied modified LUK pressure plates on my kit, and it wouldn't surprise me if the disc was made by LUK as well.

OP
OP
J

Joe473

I've run both LUK and CFII clutches in my '77 F150 with a 429 and NV4500 for a bunch of miles, and they both feel quite similar to me. That said, I got about 30% more life out of the CFII, not because it is necessarily a better friction material IMO, but because it clamps a little harder with the centrifugal weights, so it slips a little less over the life of the clutch. FWIW, CF supplied modified LUK pressure plates on my kit, and it wouldn't surprise me if the disc was made by LUK as well.
Thank you, were those 11.5" clutches with the Nv and 429? I'm a little over 20k miles. Early on in its life with 3.50 gears I launched hard a few times and the Luk didnt hold. I have time left but it grabs high and thinking about biting the bullet and replacing it at the end if the summer.

I dont want something that chatters and is only in or out. Based on what I researched that would not be the dual friction.