• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Can I ground a 24volt battery to the bronco?

jonpblewis@yaho

Loc.
San Diego, CA
I want to run 2 small 24 volt electric motors in the bronco. I don't know Can i add a small 12v batt in series with the optima to get the 24v. Then 24v power to the + on motors with on/off switch on the motors - grounded back to the bronco body? I would probably need a battery isolater to keep the 2nd batt charged from the alternator. Out of my area of knowledge here. So idea's and a simple wire diagram would be helpful.

Jebus

Loc.
Longview, WA
A simpler way to seperate the two different pressure circuits is to use a 12/24 DC to DC converter to a small pair of 12 volt agm batteries wired in series for 24 volts.

The DC DC converter then becomes your pressure regulator/voltage pump to the 24 volt circuit from the 12 volt circuit. Isolating the 24 volt circuit closes any potential ground loops and nasty flyback from collapsing 24 volt fields.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Lots of ways this can be done. What amps are they pulling? How much run time? Without knowing the load it is impossible to figure a way to power it. Need more details.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
This shows (& the caption explains) 2 ways of wiring a 24V load onto a 12V vehicle:

(phone app link)

For your application, your motors would be wired in parallel where that shows a single Winch motor. Each switch must be rated to handle more current than the total of all motors at peak (starting) load.