• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco 4wd Center on rear quarters of Stroppe Kit Baja

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I recently received this 71 Bronco from Florida. It had only been there since 81 or 82, and early pre-80s history is known to be a CA truck having gone through stroppes based on documents. But as I helped unload off the truck I saw "Bronco 4wd Center" on right hand quarter panel, impressioned in paint or may be a decal underneath. I seem to remember some similar name about a Bronco shop in the south, but maybe not. Anyone heard of or remember a place called Bronco 4wd center? May have been Los Angeles or Florida based operation. Thanks!

Attachments

• here1.jpg
    here1.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 321
  • here3.jpg
    here3.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 304
  • here4.jpg
    here4.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 300
  • Here.jpg
    Here.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 299

House

Minutia Militia
Maybe Gudenkauf, Duff, Strecker, etc will remember them...?

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
Didn't Fairway Ford in Placentia bill itself by different specialty names back in the day?

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
Fairway had "Gravel Grabber" products.

Todd Z.

I was actually referring to a nickname for a corner of the place (like when a large dealership will have signage on a separate lot like TRUCK CENTER).

I seem to recall ads for Fairway Ford with some kind of name like that, but targeting the 4x4 buyer.

OP
OP
BajaBronco

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'll get into the old magazines and see what I can find.... The logo/stripes look late 70s at earliest.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I was actually referring to a nickname for a corner of the place (like when a large dealership will have signage on a separate lot like TRUCK CENTER).

I seem to recall ads for Fairway Ford with some kind of name like that, but targeting the 4x4 buyer.

Aha! I understand what you mean now, Dave.

Todd Z.

House

Minutia Militia
I have seen a few "Gravel Grabber" ads from Fairway Ford 4x4 and RV Center...

House

Minutia Militia
Not Bronco 4WD Center, but Four Wheel Drive Center with Bronco parts and a Stroppe dealer! ;D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 202
OP
OP
BajaBronco

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Still working on this. No news from previous owners estate either. House I think you need to come down here and spend a sunday going over this with a fine tooth comb with me.

75Denver

This is awesome!! What news have you collected thus far? I'm not sure if I missed it but is the paint original to its initial order? Did Stroppe shop ad that touch or do you think it was the Bronco 4wd Center? Lastly, how'd you come about this rig!?

OP
OP
BajaBronco

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey B, YEah, and it kinda looks like the same paint job as yours! We were thinking that here the other day. No news on Bronco4wd Center. I feel like that may have been an 80s thing it was involved in. Came with a book that outlines life since 9000 miles and one year old. It's an early 71. GLK25XXX. Outlines a re-body in '74 and "Complete Baja paint job". Has from Stroppe: PS, floor shift (was 3 now 4(added 77), braces, dual shocks, st wheel, filtron filter, flexalite, rollbar, tach, air cleaner, 4v with holley, headers. I think that's it.... Anyway, documents support install at Stroppe(Catalog with items all circled and prices updated) so do bolts, etc. Owner of this rig sold it in '81 to by the "travel trailer Baja" I used to own. This was his first Bronco. What I'm trying to also figure out is whether it was converted with all Stroppe parts BEFORE or After body swap (roll, another similarity to yours) in 74 or before...which would have made it a Grabber Green Metallic KIT Baja! Swwwweeeeeeettt! ANyway, I got it thru a guy who wanted to verify if he had a Baja. He was a flipper and had bought it from an older guy in FL and thought he maybe had a production Baja. I explained what it was and he said, well, I bought to flip...you want it? I said YES!

OP
OP
BajaBronco

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ya, House is right....light Tab cactus is there, but in the bed...along with swamp memorabilia. In the form of LARGE DED SPIDERS

OP
OP
BajaBronco

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's a few more photos.

Andrew

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 80
  • cat.jpg
    cat.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 222222.jpg
    222222.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 83
  • ps.jpg
    ps.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 86

House

Minutia Militia
Well, short story is this Bronco has a new stable here in Northern CA.
It sure looks like a crusty ol hag, and has been coined the name 'Swamp Thing',
but the tub is surprisingly rust free, and I really like it! I have really been enjoying
going over all of the Stroppe installed goodies. Very cool stuff. Still trying to track down
more history, as there are remote clues here and there that point in different directions.
1972 and 1973 Baja 500 badges on the dash hint to a race or chase past, and a nice
Dymo Tapewriter paragraph on the glovebox door hints to a Baja tour rig of some sort.
Anyway, will keep looking for clues. Let me know if you guys run into anything!

Attachments

• bajadash.jpg
    bajadash.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 59
  • glovebox.jpg
    glovebox.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 69