• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Quality Duraspark Module Available

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Ford dealerships tell me they can't offer actual Ford modules made in the USA. Those from the after market have a poor reputation. The You Pull It I went to yesterday had at least a dozen that were all after market. Only 2 of them had any type of brand name. The others were a complete crap shoot. The only assurance is that the car or truck was wrecked, so it must have been running to crash. Some NOS modules turn up on ebey, but outside of a photo that can show Motorcraft cast on the case, a stick on label that says Duraspark tested tough, and a blue strain relief, what would we look for? There seems to be a large number of modules that fit this description. My new '77 Bronco had a module that would get hot and kill the ignition. The truck would only run after the module cooled down. So the '77 part is one I would avoid. Later Motorcraft modules worked for many years with no problems. What have have you found?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You think you might just have had one of the few bad factory modules? Maybe another one would give you better service even with the same part. Just wondering.

Did you replace it with the standard aftermarket stuff over the years? Or are we talking about another Bronco, that you no longer have and doesn't apply to what you're working on now?

Standard Motor Parts used to have a stellar reputation, but like most stuff these days, I don't rely on the old name any more. Just too many have gone off-shore with their manufacture to save money so we could keep buying cheap parts, or they could make more profit. Which in itself is not a bad thing of course. Only when quality goes kaput.
And unfortunately, the old names are not what they used to be even when they are made here! Cheaper is just that. They may keep the jobs here, which is great, but if they can't pay less in salaries, they pay less for cheaper materials. Oh well...

So with all that, I would have to say, for a Blue Grommet module, you could use the Ford Racing one if they still offer it. Or an MSD brand.
Don't know if you're one of those that won't buy MSD if it was the last module on the planet, but I sure had good luck with both of mine. Gonna sell 'em too, one of these days. When I find them...;D

Hopefully someone will have good personal experience of a more recent vintage to pull from.

Paul

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I don't know of a source for new other than NOS. Another place to look at the bone yard and online is at the AMC/Jeep stuff. They used Ford duraspark modules on the 304/360/401 engines. I have a couple of full size Jeeps and they both have the blue strain relief module that the Bronco uses.

Sporto

A few years ago, before converting to EFI, I was in the same boat. I had a Duraspark module (aftermarket) go bad on me in Friday afternoon traffic. I kept a spare in my tool box and was on my way in a few minutes. The spare was an OEM module and at the time, I was unaware of the unreliability of the aftermarket ones. Needless to say, I used the Motorcraft one with no issues.

Now during my search for another spare, I turned up some interesting sites that discussed this very topic and some interesting solutions to it. See below...

Don't want to create a a ruckus...;D however it may be worth a look, since the AC Delco modules are about 20 bucks on eBay.

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/ign...y-trick-hei-module-inside-duraspark-case.html

http://www.carbdford.com/tech/HEI/hei.htm

Rich

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If those are the discussions about putting the HEI modules in the duraspark boxes (or just leaving them out or on the distributor itself, then that's what a lot here have done already. Been a semi-popular mod in fact.

Now after commenting, I'll actually go read what you linked to!;D

Paul

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
I can't get on the HEI bandwagon. I've been stranded several times because of HEI modules. The only Ford module that ever failed me was an "Extra Performance" Ford Motorsports module built by MSD. Go figure.

OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Well, Paul I'll expand on my history with Duraspark. The '77 was replaced with another of the same vintage. There were no others at that time. The second one worked far longer so I think Ford was working on the problem. When no.2 died in the early '90s, one of my friends who was a UPS mechanic got a module part #D9VZ-12A199-A on the box for the discount price Ford gave UPS. This one was stamped E8PF 12A199 AB so it was made in or later than '88. The D9 on the box must mean it was the standard replacement part, no matter when it was made. This module has worked flawlessly for over 20 years. Just today I found the same module NOS on ebey and bought it. When these come up on ebey or in junk yards buy them. My problem ie. getting a backup is solved. Hopefully others can benifit from what I learned.

djhudson05

Is there any way to test the duraspark modules, other than connecting them to the vehicle,to see if they are good? I have a few modules, but not a running vehicle to connect them to right now.Not sure what condition they are.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I've had good luck with duraspark modules from Napa. You can hook them up to a vehicle and it may run, but that does not guarantee they are good. I had one that work great for about a hour then craped out, let sit for a minute, then it would work again.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is there any way to test the duraspark modules, other than connecting them to the vehicle,to see if they are good?

Seems like I've seen some troubleshooting guide like they have in the usual manuals, but don't see it in either Haynes or Chilton's. Maybe the factory service manuals?
I actually have a Ford Duraspark Tech book but haven't seen it in awhile. Pretty sure I didn't lend it out to anyone, but you never know.

Maybe someone like Viperwolf1 will know.

Paul

OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Wish I could help. Even the '77 shop manual isn't helpful. Now that I think about it, the over heating module was the reason I got the manual. I do remember the UPS mechanic saying the company had no problems with the '88 replacement modules and they had hundreds of thousands of Ford trucks to keep on the road, a great source of info. I plan to test the new module and a coil I picked up at the U Pull It, by using them on the Bronco for at least a month.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Keep looking...

I would only pickup Motorcraft modules as spares. Probably not many originals left on the road anymore like you're finding out... I ran with two on the front drivers side fender and two in my tool box bolted to the floor in the back... off brands were always "off"...

OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Wow. I thought one that works, and a NOS back up would be enough. Three backups has to be enough! I think the best source is the liquidators that buy up parts that dealerships and fleet operators no longer have room for. Junk yards, have to have some too, but most owners and repair shops bought after market replacements. UPS made every effort to use OEM parts. Reliability is their first priority. They even evaluate mechanics in terms of how few on road break downs they have. Off roading has the same concerns. We can find ourselves in a bad place in many ways. Preparation is key. The parts and tools to deal with break downs in the boonies is a lot more involved than just having a spare tire.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Seems like I've seen some troubleshooting guide like they have in the usual manuals, but don't see it in either Haynes or Chilton's. Maybe the factory service manuals?
I actually have a Ford Duraspark Tech book but haven't seen it in awhile. Pretty sure I didn't lend it out to anyone, but you never know.

Maybe someone like Viperwolf1 will know.

Paul

I have no idea what you did with it Paul.;)

There really are no documented test procedures for the module itself. There are procedures to test everything other than the module and you can diagnose a bad module by ruling everything else out. About the only way to test a module is to put it in a known good system and see if it works.

Attachments

• duraspark troubleshooting[1].pdf
    136.3 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I'll look today, but it's a safe bet that anything of new manufacture is of Chinese manufacture.