• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BC Broncos WAH w/ Ballistic Panhard Mount

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
Just wanted to get a quick sanity check on my plan. Right now I have the Wild Horses track bar riser which is incompatible with the BC Broncos Wristed Axle Housing.

I could probably cut back the WH track bar riser to make the WAH fit but I dont feel good about modifying such an important part.

My thinking is to cut off the WH riser completely as well as the stock track bar mount and install the Ballistic Fabrication track bar mount:
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Panhard-Trackbar-mount_p_1399.html

which should leave plenty of room for the BC Broncos WAH.

Then I would just need to figure out the track bar situation w/ Rod end on one side and bushing on the frame side. I know BCB sells a track bar like that but I'm not sure the dimensions are right. I'll probably just fab up my own.

sound like a plan? Am I forgetting about anything?

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I don't think the bracket will take the left/right abuse that it must. Notice how wide the WH bracket is? I designed one with the same idea as the WH bracket (wide) several years ago but have never been able to come up with a way to explain where to put the track bar mount hole. I have had it on my racer and crawler for several years and it holds up fine and is smaller than the WH bracket. If you are interested give ma a call. As far as the track bar if you set it up right it can be straight and have heims on one or both ends.

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
thanks Chuck, would you or anyone else with the WAH mind taking a picture of the Dana 44 w/ WAH and tape measure like so?

448347932_BL6w5-XL.jpg

thanks,
dan

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
I don't think the bracket will take the left/right abuse that it must. Notice how wide the WH bracket is? I designed one with the same idea as the WH bracket (wide) several years ago but have never been able to come up with a way to explain where to put the track bar mount hole. I have had it on my racer and crawler for several years and it holds up fine and is smaller than the WH bracket. If you are interested give ma a call. As far as the track bar if you set it up right it can be straight and have heims on one or both ends.

BTW Chuck - I definitely appreciate your wisdom and experience but what is it about the Ballistic panhard mount you dont think would hold up? Is it the leverage placed on the welds because of the increased height above the axle center? The stock Bronco panhard mount is welded on 2 sides. The Ballistic panhard mount would be welded on all 4 sides. I'd be really impressed if that thing pulled off of the axle.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I was suprized at the side pressure when I mounted a prototype lower mount to the radius arm cap. The side load pushed the radius arm off the diff. wedges and distroyed the C bushings doing it. This was during extreme conditions of the Baja 1000 but I don't think you want it to happen while making a tight turn in a parking lot either.
The bracket you are looking at might work fine but from the pictures it looks to not have enought base for the height. I will post a picture of my prototype that I know works. baja tested. As I posted before I don't have it for sale yet but you can make one.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Here you go. If you need a diff. picture let me know.

Attachments

• web201.jpg
    web201.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 71
  • web203.jpg
    web203.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 62
  • web204.jpg
    web204.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 66
OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
thanks for the pics, Chuck. It looks like i'd need to cut my riser back to about 6.5-7" does that sound right? or right around where the 2nd bend starts on the WH riser.