• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

AFI wiper motor problem

twisted 66

Contributor
Loc.
Norcal-Tracy
I have done the electric wiper upgrade you get from WH and changing the passenger side to 80 and the driver side to 110. Problem is it only seems to have a 90 degree sweep. The pic shows the wiper pattern that cleaned the dust away as well as where the wiper sits when off...Is this normal or do I have something set up wrong?...Thanks in advance

Attachments

• PC260035.jpg
    PC260035.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
Just pm'ed you if they are in fact 110° motors you should get more movement out of them than that. It looks like they are 80° motors which will give you a sweep pattern that looks like that.

OP
OP
twisted 66

twisted 66

Contributor
Loc.
Norcal-Tracy
I did confirm they have the correct part number indicating a 110 degree motor, pn#AFI 34010 stamped on the back. Maybe something is off inside, I am going to WH tomorrow to see what they say..

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you did it per the manufacturer's instructions, I don't see how you could have done anything wrong. But I was under the impression that we pre-set them at the correct spacing before you get them.
So did you actually change the driver side too? If so, you might try putting it back the way you got it just to see what happens. If this is the '66 in your name, then the passenger side is the only one you need to change.

Either way, I'm sure you can compare at the shop, or exchange it if nothing pops right out as out of whack.

Good luck.
Sorry I won't be in tomorrow to at least say hi.

Paul

OP
OP
twisted 66

twisted 66

Contributor
Loc.
Norcal-Tracy
If you did it per the manufacturer's instructions, I don't see how you could have done anything wrong. But I was under the impression that we pre-set them at the correct spacing before you get them.
So did you actually change the driver side too? If so, you might try putting it back the way you got it just to see what happens. If this is the '66 in your name, then the passenger side is the only one you need to change.

Either way, I'm sure you can compare at the shop, or exchange it if nothing pops right out as out of whack.

Good luck.
Sorry I won't be in tomorrow to at least say hi.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

The only one I changed per your instructions for the 66 was the passenger side. Hopefully I can get it figured out tomorrow morning at your shop.

OP
OP
twisted 66

twisted 66

Contributor
Loc.
Norcal-Tracy
Can anybody with these AFI motors verify how far the blade sweeps compared to mine in the above pic?

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
My '68 has the AFI motors. Definitely sweeps farther than that.

OP
OP
twisted 66

twisted 66

Contributor
Loc.
Norcal-Tracy
I talked to the tech support line and sent him pictures as well as the cam plate inside the motor. He said there might of been a manufacturing problem in the degree hole locations on the cam plate. They said my cam plate should look like the one in the instructions which is attached, clearly it does not as seen in my pics. Their suggestion is to move the wiper down several inches away from the seal to clear more rain in my view. I am going to run it and probably drill another hole in the plate and lengthen the transmission rod plate to see if I can get it to go further.

Attachments

• PC270001.jpg
    PC270001.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 26
  • PC280001.jpg
    PC280001.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 24
  • MRV Wiper book.pdf
    604.7 KB · Views: 7

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
My cam plate looks the same as your sorry I didn't get a chance to message you yesterday I took a picture of it so you can compare them but as stated I am getting more movement out of mine not sure why.

Attachments

• IMG_20151228_175715884.jpg
    IMG_20151228_175715884.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 14