• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Advice Needed-Power steering not lining up

71 BRNCO

My truck has been sitting now for about a month because I have needed new power steering. Since the roundup. I bought a saginaw pump looks just like the one that is sold by wildhorses and I bought the wild horses bracket. My pump uses the key style pulley so I purchased that as well from summitracing to match my pump. I got the hose from wildhorses and that fits as well. When I finally got everything back together after pulling the radiator the pulley does not line up. Its close forward and back but it is pitched out quick a bit. Anyone have this problem when doing a conversion to a gm style pump? any tips, tricks or ideas. I will have a picture tomorrow to show everyone. its driving me crazy I just want to drive my rig. Thanks bronco friends

kyle

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
Here's a pic of mine.... if it helps. Let me get this right. It's properly shimmed front to back, but it's crooked?? Are the brackets correct and installed correctly??

Attachments

• EB Steering Pump 009PS.jpg
    EB Steering Pump 009PS.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 124
OP
OP

71 BRNCO

Joe, thanks for the picture. My pump looks very similar so the set up should work fine. I have the long stud bolt which is attached to the cyl. head or block (can't remember which), then I have the spacer ( i think its factory), the the wild horses brackets, then the factory bracket that attaches to the waterpump, then the nut. I am currently not running the factory cooler. So I probably need to make up for that space with a washer??? I just don't get it. Basically the top of teh pulley is set back towards the firewall and teh bottom of the pulley is kicked out towards the grill.

The other question is that its a key style pulley. Should you be able to grab the pulley and have a tiny bit of back and forth movement. What is the proper way to install the pulley. Line it up and beat it on and stick the nut and and drive it down?? Maybe I need to take the pump to a shop and make sure the pulley is installed correctly?

Lastly on the wild horses bracket their are four holes that lined up with four holes in teh pump. the bracket on the right side sat flush to the pump. the other two holes more on the left hand side had a gap between the bracket and the pump. I put two bolts in and just tightened down lightly, I am wondering if I need those bolts or if I need to make a spacer.

Some mentioned teh spacer with the wild horses bracket. what is that all about???? I did get anything with the bracket. Help!!!

thanks everyone
kyle

OP
OP

71 BRNCO

shifter,
looked at the wildhorses bracket online and didn't find anything about a shim. Can anyone shed some light on this? I really want to get this done to be able to actually enjoy my bronco this weekend.

If you look across the engine from the side of teh fender that pulley is pretty much in perfect alignment but the pulley angle is whats way off. It is def. to far off that it will throw the belts all the time. There must be a shim but I don't want to just some washers in different places.

Alot of people have done this, has anyone else had similar issues. PLease continue to post pictures or diagrams.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
The two bolt holes on the bracket that you mentioned that werent lining up should have a 1/4" or so spacer between the pump and the bracket. I purchased the pump and bracket from WH and the spacers came with the bracket kit. I would say this is the cause of your problem. Call WH I bet they would send them to you if they were left out of your kit. you could also do the same with a few washer on each bolt to make up the 1/4" gap of find a metal Collar at the hardware store and cut two 1/4" or so pieces to fit. This would probably work the best since its sort of a pain to get the spacers ligned up between the pump and bracket.
Good luck

OP
OP

71 BRNCO

Man I thought there was something not right and then I thought maybe it was because I didn't buy there pump and that it was different. I am trying to get everything in my engine compartment either polished aluminum chrome or powdercoated so I went with an all chromed out pump. that makes some sense. I may have pulled those two bolts in a bit to far and that could be part of the problem. Probably not the whole problem though because that pulley is pretty far out of parallel. I guess I will call WH today and see about overnighting the hardward that I never got! are there supposed to be other shims?

thanks fo the tip tjk

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
I also got a new bolt from them the one that goes into the block and they sent it to me with about 10 washers to use for shim to shim the pump and bracket forward. i didn't need to use them though. i'm running a 353 and have a duffs spacer that bolts to my block for the 351 so this could have taken up any shimming that would have needed to be done. So you can use some washer behind the bracket to shim it forward if needed but definately get those spacers between the pump and bracket to get the pully squared up straight where its supossed to be.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
I am about to do the Saginaw pump with the Wild Horses bracket. I didn't want to start a new post, so I found this one and will add my initial findings

Yesterday I went to a friends who owns a Jeep repair shop, we grabeed a few saginaw pumps he had lying around and none of them fit.

I have searched for how many of you had modified the bracket, but didn't find any real great pics, but I got a idea on what I had to do. So I took a grinder at his shop and started grinding. and finally got it to where the pump will fit. We also made some spaces to take up the gap in the two left side screws for the pump.

I will attach a picture of the bracket modification I had to do and the two spacers we made.

I still have a few little questions
(1)Does my mod look like what the rest of you did?
(2)Since I allrady have the stock power steering, I was told that my stock long bolt would work with the Wild Horses Bracket, do you know if that is true?
(3)Do you think I will neet to space the braket out to make it line up?

Attachments

• sagbracket.JPG
    sagbracket.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 26
  • sagspacer.JPG
    sagspacer.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 12

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
DonsBolt said:
I am about to do the Saginaw pump with the Wild Horses bracket. I didn't want to start a new post, so I found this one and will add my initial findings

Yesterday I went to a friends who owns a Jeep repair shop, we grabeed a few saginaw pumps he had lying around and none of them fit.

I have searched for how many of you had modified the bracket, but didn't find any real great pics, but I got a idea on what I had to do. So I took a grinder at his shop and started grinding. and finally got it to where the pump will fit. We also made some spaces to take up the gap in the two left side screws for the pump.

I will attach a picture of the bracket modification I had to do and the two spacers we made.

I still have a few little questions
(1)Does my mod look like what the rest of you did?
(2)Since I allrady have the stock power steering, I was told that my stock long bolt would work with the Wild Horses Bracket, do you know if that is true?
(3)Do you think I will neet to space the braket out to make it line up?

I had to grind the WH bracket as well. I have a saggy pump with the giant resevoir (Dual returns) so, maybe that's why. Also, to hold the pump on the WH bracket, I had to ovalize 1 hole, and both bolts are on the same side of the pump shaft, not one on either side. I don't really like that, but it works...

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
P/s Brackets

Yes I Had To Put Spacers 'washers " Under Mine Made Me Mad But I Guess There Are A Lot Of Pump Almost The Same...