• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

6 cylinder radiator

twodogs

I recently bought a 6 cylinder radiator and hose kit from Tom's Bronco Parts.
I have a '74 with a 200 inline 6. When I have the radiator mounted with the hose attached, there's no way for the lower hose to reach the water pump outlet. Their kit included a Gates 20706 lower hose. Is anyone using the TBP radiator, and if so, what are you using for a lower hose? Thanks.

Edit: Here's a pic showing how the lower port of the radiator is lower than the stock original, which makes the hook-up nearly impossible. (Cutting the hose to clear the frame doesn't help either....I've already done that).

Attachments

• IMG_5488.jpg
    IMG_5488.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I can't find a ready made lower hose to fit my Bronco "6". I use a universal flex hose. The upper hose was in stock at Car Quest last time I needed it.
Good luck

OP
OP
T

twodogs

Hi, I can't find a ready made lower hose to fit my Bronco "6". I use a universal flex hose. The upper hose was in stock at Car Quest last time I needed it.
Good luck

Thanks much. I was guessing that would be the case. I searched through all of the hose inventory of three local parts stores, to no avail. It's frustrating that TBP sells the radiator and the lower hose, with the impression that the two will marry just fine. It won't happen.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If the truck is needed or a daily driver, you could probably cut the down leg in that hose and put in a piece of tubing with clamps. Just make sure the tubing has a roll bead or a little welded bead around the circumference of the tube

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is the earlier hose different from your 200? Radiator the same and just the different hose maybe?

Paul

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
That's the same Gates number listed everywhere for the lower. I noticed the continental brand is preformed like the Gates but says "cut to fit", all three brands on Rockauto are 20"-20.2" long. I know I've replaced them on my two 66 170 and didn't have issues, I'll try to find what I ordered.

OP
OP
T

twodogs

If the truck is needed or a daily driver, you could probably cut the down leg in that hose and put in a piece of tubing with clamps. Just make sure the tubing has a roll bead or a little welded bead around the circumference of the tube

Aside from using flex hose, I'm beginning to think that will be my only option. Even with flex hose, I haven't found one that is 1 1/2" on one end, and 1 1/4" on the other.

OP
OP
T

twodogs

Is the earlier hose different from your 200? Radiator the same and just the different hose maybe?

Paul

The lower port on the new radiator is lower (~2") than an OEM radiator for a six cylinder. However, the hoses aren't any different, so you can't connect them without causing the hose to collapse. I was going to just drill new holes on the mounting flanges of the radiator to raise it up, but you can't do that without hitting the hood.

OP
OP
T

twodogs

Did you call TBP and tell them what was going on?

Oh yeah. Their response was to drill the radiator flanges to mount it higher (can't due to hood clearance issues). Regarding the hose, they only said that "it should work."

OP
OP
T

twodogs

That's the same Gates number listed everywhere for the lower. I noticed the continental brand is preformed like the Gates but says "cut to fit", all three brands on Rockauto are 20"-20.2" long. I know I've replaced them on my two 66 170 and didn't have issues, I'll try to find what I ordered.

The hoses will work great on an OEM radiator. The issue seems to be the aftermarket radiator that's sold today. As I mentioned in another post, the lower port for the radiator is lower than an OEM, and therefore the stock hoses won't reach. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I can't find a hose that will reach...and not kink/collapse.

Somewhat along these lines. I had to order a used part from another vendor. I mentioned that I was looking for a radiator and hose combo for a six cylinder. He said that he decided to not even sell them due to fitment issues, with the lack of a suitable hose being the biggest problem.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
The hoses will work great on an OEM radiator. The issue seems to be the aftermarket radiator that's sold today. As I mentioned in another post, the lower port for the radiator is lower than an OEM, and therefore the stock hoses won't reach. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I can't find a hose that will reach...and not kink/collapse.

Somewhat along these lines. I had to order a used part from another vendor. I mentioned that I was looking for a radiator and hose combo for a six cylinder. He said that he decided to not even sell them due to fitment issues, with the lack of a suitable hose being the biggest problem.

Dang, I see. And that's disappointing for something that should be pretty simple to take care of during manufacturing a replacement part.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Where does the lower port on the radiator fall in comparison to the front cross member?

Any chance you could cut the hose where the white sticker is, attach the hose to the radiator going under the cross member then use a piece of tube to lengthen where you cut it at the sticker?

If you still have the original 6-cyl radiator, take it to an old school radiator shop and have it recored.

66CTBronco

Contributor
Loc.
New england
I just had mine recorded with an oem (up in their attic) bucket header core. New hose fit just a little stretch but it fit ok. I wanted to keep the FoMoCo on the top tank and knew nothing about figment issues with new radiators!
C

OP
OP
T

twodogs

Where does the lower port on the radiator fall in comparison to the front cross member?

Any chance you could cut the hose where the white sticker is, attach the hose to the radiator going under the cross member then use a piece of tube to lengthen where you cut it at the sticker?

If you still have the original 6-cyl radiator, take it to an old school radiator shop and have it recored.

I'm pretty sure I can concoct something that will either go under the cross member, or one that stays on the top of it. Both will involve cutting the hose that they say "should fit." I'd like to avoid creating a Rube Goldberg contraption but it looks like I'm headed that way. Sure would have loved to know about fitment issues prior to spending the money on one, not to mention shipping costs :p

I would love to put an OEM radiator in it but I don't have one. The original owner swapped it out for a Mustang radiator at some point. It "works" but the way it's mounted is pretty pathetic.

OP
OP
T

twodogs

I just had mine recorded with an oem (up in their attic) bucket header core. New hose fit just a little stretch but it fit ok. I wanted to keep the FoMoCo on the top tank and knew nothing about figment issues with new radiators!
C

Guard that one!

OP
OP
T

twodogs

PSA......Happy to report back that I found a molded hose that will work if you buy the TBP six cylinder radiator. The Dayco 70308 lower hose is the one you want to get, and TBP does not sell that hose, as of this writing. Do not try to use the interchange to see what part fits, as the new aftermarket radiator lower outlet is lower than the OEM radiator. Here's a pic of the Dayco hose, as well as the thing installed on my '74 200 cid inline six.

Attachments

• IMG_5543.jpg
    IMG_5543.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5546.jpg
    IMG_5546.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 19