• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 throttle cam, anyone here tried doing this modification?

mr.n

After trailriding the 5.0 for a year, I've learned to love the power. However I've noticed the throttle is quick to power.

So, to fix this issue I was thinking of making a cam for the throttle engagement. This would cause the throttle to engage slower at the start and quicker at the end. This is nothing new, see the picture below for a cam that comes from a car off the assembly line. (not a Ford)

Has Anyone done this? (Modified the throttle linkage at the throttle body with a cam mechanism) Results?

clip_image002_002.jpg

la77

Loc.
Alexandria LA
looks like a pretty good idea. the only glitch I can possibly think of is that your pedal may be way off the floor to begin with. maybe not but I like the idea of doing the same to mine.

justinoshea

Contributor
Loc.
Gilbert, AZ
there have been several theads about custom TB arms. the other option is to alter the pedal pivot. My bronco definalty has the whiplash issue.... "sorry officer, but this vechile has a locking differentail and sometimes the tires make that noise".... If I ever get around to doing something it will be a simple piece of metal with three holes in it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I did a similer thing. Wasn't to a 5.0, it was to a Holley pro-jection. Definatly worth it.

All I did was get a round pulley throttle wheel thingy from some junkyard bomb. It may even have been the cruise control wheel. Then figured hot to mount it off-center from the throttle shaft. starts as a long arm and the more throttle you give it the distance between the cable touching the pulley and the center of the shaft gets shorter. The further you push down the faster the throttle opens. Makes for a nice controllable throttle at tip in and when you start leaning on it you just keep getting more and more power.

It is great for calming down a jumpy throttle.

OP
OP
M

mr.n

I'm going to hit the junk yard, see if I can find something to use.
If not I've a torch, welder and like to tinker...

Best part, just got an explorer tb to try this with

So, would a French curve work best?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Not educatamated enough to know a french curve (probably not awake enought either the way I need to keep fixing my own spelling as well).
Mine started life as a simple round circle, no fancy shapes. If you look at a GM LS engine from a Camero or something like that you will see that GM made theres a scroll shape. I would like to run one of those but finding one in a junk pile is a little hard.

Also, don't forget total travel. Make sure you really do get full throttle when the pedal hits the floor for one. The other is to watch the total travel. Too little travel and it gets touchy again. Too much and the gas pedal is a foot off the floor and your ankle will hurt (I did one once that the gas pedal was higher then the brake, sucked major to drive for any distance)

OP
OP
M

mr.n

Also, don't forget total travel. Make sure you really do get full throttle when the pedal hits the floor for one. The other is to watch the total travel. Too little travel and it gets touchy again. Too much and the gas pedal is a foot off the floor and your ankle will hurt (I did one once that the gas pedal was higher then the brake, sucked major to drive for any distance)

French curve is like a teardrop, usually found in art stuff.

Agree, the total travel I'll try to keep the same as it is now.
Figure I'd try lengthing the first part by 50%, and shorting the end by 50%. I'll have to do the math, and make some drawings but this should be me in the ballpark.
Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
M

mr.n

French curve.
The radius continually increase.
I figure this would be a smoother engaugment of the throttle, will not know untill I try.

PMP-805C.JPG

OP
OP
M

mr.n

Bringing this back up.

I've a spare throttle body, and have designed the curve.
Looking at making the throttle pull from the back to the front, so I can run the throttle cable at less of an angle.
Got a Spare Mustang thorttle cable, now just need it to warm up so I can work. (It was -30* today, and that was without windchill)

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm interested to see what you've come up with - great idea!

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
For a stock Ford application, take a look at the Taurus SHOs (OK, not quite Ford since that's a Yamaha engine).

A buddy here locally adapted one to work on his.
Joe