• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3G alternator off the shelf upgrade?

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Burned up my stock 75 amp 3G alternator this weekend. I know there are pricey aftermarket upgrades (mean green, powermaster, etc). Are there any off the shelf bolt in 3G upgraded with same mount pattern and snout depth--maybe an application for a heavy duty police package, Town Car, truck, etc?

Thought I would check before I replace it. Search function does not like "3G" as input--too short.

OP
OP
mp

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Motor is a pretty stock 90 5.0. Do I actually have a 2g alternator?

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I do not trust parts store "off the shelf" alternators (or starters for that matter). I have had very bad luck with Autozone's 3G alternators - both remanufactured and new. All have been replaced/refunded under the warranty they provide (in very short service lifes I might add).
I spent the money on a Powermaster 3G alternator and it has been trouble free ever since. I take mine to places where it is a long walk back to civilization, so the peace of mind I get from my expensive starter and alternator is worth the price.

This being said, out of pure paranoia (and bad luck), I carry a junkyard OEM 3G alternator as a spare whenever I venture off the pavement.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
x2 what TN1776 said... new stuff is crap...really is! Coils, alternators, starters, bearings, ujoints, etc. It's all fueled by us wanting cheeep stuff instead of quality. Rant over... :)

Buy a used Motorcraft one and if it needs rebuilding, take it to an old Ma and Pops rebuild shop (or do it yourself) but research the internals first to make sure they aren't Chinese crap too.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
When it comes to current day auto parts "lifetime warranty" means the lifespan of your patience with replacing them again and again.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Same debate on another EB list..."rebuilt" 1 wire GM for $40, lifetime replacement...