• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351w fuel injection

Tell_Sackett

Loc.
Santa Cruz Mountains
First a little background. I picked up my first EB just before Christmas after looking for around a year. When I got it home and took it for a spin the problems started to show up. Tie-rod ends shot, carb a little gummed up, 2nd gear syncro barks when down shifting as well as the charging system not working. I got most of that worked out when a rod knock started to develop. Pulled the engine and sure enough, the rod bearings were shot. So with that and the cylinder walls showing some wear, I decided to just leave it out and rebuild/fuel inject it. Which brings me to my q's.

I have located a 93 (i think) bronco that has been totaled, (actually, upside down in a canyon for at least the last 10 years) with a 351w in it. The story is that it rolled down there as a brand new car. I am still trying to track the property owner down to try and get permission to drag it out but think that it would make a good block to work with. I know that the intake is going to be too tall, but BC makes the adapter to use a truck lower and car upper. What else off of this could I use? I think the fuel rail would work as well as the ignition system maybe? What about the ECU?

I am on a limited budget but if this works then I am hoping I can get the truck for free. What else would I need?

Thanks for any help

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Interesting. I wonder if the engine got hurt much in the roll/fall.
It could work out.

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
If you want it to be plug and play get the RJM harness and A9l comp., The front dress will work but not without modification to the core support.. I just did this conversion 2 years ago, I used the alt. bracket and the BC multi bracket for my saginaw pump, the pulley on the sag comes off of cheby luminas... there was a thread on here a few weeks ago where the guy was running the front dress off of an f250 (96-97?) with no modification issues or you can use the 5.0 explorer front dress. I am also using the 92-93 explorer radiator with a taurus 2 speed fan.. If I were to do it again though I would use the 2 speed volvo fan as it is removable from the shroud..

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
I think you'd be much better ff with an A9L or A9P ecu. I would not recommend depending on one that has been sitting in a canyon for 20 years.

OP
OP
T

Tell_Sackett

Loc.
Santa Cruz Mountains
I think you'd be much better ff with an A9L or A9P ecu. I would not recommend depending on one that has been sitting in a canyon for 20 years.
OK, so another ecu would be a good idea, but what about other parts? I do have the 79 351 engine that I removed from my 72 so there are parts there, (head, ps pump, ext). I think it may be worth dragging this thing out even if all I can get out of it is the block plus scrap value, although as Bronconut mentioned, who knows how much damage was done in the original crash. One thought that I had was to use the block out of this and put my carb stuff from the old engine on it so that I can drive it while collecting FI parts.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Who knows what kind of shape the engine is in after sitting for so long. There is a good chance it's pretty far gone. I'd bet most of the fluids have long since drained out, etc. So it may be a rebuildable engine, may not be.
Being a 1993 model its very likely still a flat tappet cam as 1994 was the first year of the roller 351 blocks. Not a huge deal but flat tappet cam choices are not as great and since the motor oil these days has too much of the zddp additive removed, you'll need to add it back in - just something to consider.
As others have said its easier to work with the Mustang harness and computers (EEC-IV). Later computers/harnesses can work but are not as well supported.
The computer itself, that's another crapshoot. They are pretty reliable and there is not much to go wrong with them, but if its been exposed to moisture in the wrecked vehicle it may not be any good anymore.

Fuel rails... not sure. I am running the Explorer rails on my 351. I like the cleaner look of the regulator and hoses connecting on the back, and its far easier when the regulator is on the same side as the throttle body.

As you said the lower manifold can be made to work with car uppers with the BC adaptor. I considered going this route until I found a good deal on a lightning lower. That with the Explorer, Cobra or tubular GT40 upper is a pretty slick setup.

I believe that Bronco will have the external fuel pump so it may be another piece you can salvage, along with fuel lines that you might be able to adapt to your rig.

If you can get down to the proposed donor vehicle and scope it out that may answer some of these questions. For me personally, I'd rather just piece the system together rather than having to deal with getting rid of the rest of the donor vehicle.

Good luck.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Welcome to ClassicBroncos.com and congrats on the Bronco purchase!!

I have located a 93 (i think) bronco that has been totaled, (actually, upside down in a canyon for at least the last 10 years) with a 351w in it. The story is that it rolled down there as a brand new car.
I never was that good at math, but before I ran out of fingers and toes, I figured that if it rolled as a new vehicle in 93, it's been in that canyon for 20 years!! I think it would be impracticle to think that you could use that engine without a complete rebuild, and that's being very lucky that, at this point, the block is still useable.

But... For free, I guess it's worth the effort to take a look.

What else off of this could I use? I think the fuel rail would work as well as the ignition system maybe? What about the ECU?

I am on a limited budget but if this works then I am hoping I can get the truck for free. What else would I need?
Yes, the truck lower, BC Broncos adapter and the 5.0 upper will get you the hardware. I used the same truck fuel rail on my EFI. Grab whatever you can get: coil, MAP sensor, etc.

The truck EFI is a banked injection. Not too many chose to run that, so technical support may be limited.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Assuming that engine is still good, I would still tear it down and toss new gaskets and seals in it first. That will give you the chance to do a decent visual inspection.
If it's been sitting upside down for any amount of time don't even think about hitting the key. The cylinders will likely be full of oil.

If you are going to keep the engine stock I wouldn't hesitate to run the factory PCM. If you are thinking of hotter cam or heads, you would be better off running the Mustang MAF setup.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
If you do get it PM me. Ive got a BC Broncos 351 truck to Mustang upper intake, throttle body, and mustang upper I will sell you for the cost of the adapter and shipping of the whole pacakage. I bought it and decided not to use it and I just dont feel right returning it, I have had it too long.