• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3/16" double flare adapter

Oatmeal

Broke the the pin on my 3/16" double flare adapter so, I figure I'll go buy another one.....yeah, right%) Seems when I can find them, you have to buy the whole set (found a KD set of five for about $15) but, I don't need or want a whole new set. Finally did find a couple of places that sell them individually so, I figure might as well buy a couple 2 or 3 since it isn't uncommon for these to break and I mean, can't be too expensive since a whole set of five is only $15 but, $12 for a part that can't cost them more than $.05 to manufacture:eek:! I can buy a complete double flaring kit (decent quality one at that) for about $20-30 (mine is a good quality Imperial Tool brand)...... Just irritated and ranting:mad:.......I guess I'll have to pay, what I believe is an outrageous price, for it. Bastards!-----------Hans

4lofun

Been there ..I bought 2 last time...thought they were about $4 each..can't remember where but it was a parts store...

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
i just purchased another as well since one of the guys broke it off.
i ended up getting mine from my snap on guy. couldn't find it anywhere else.

don't forget to use a lube on them..

OP
OP
O

Oatmeal

i just purchased another as well since one of the guys broke it off.
i ended up getting mine from my snap on guy. couldn't find it anywhere else.

don't forget to use a lube on them..
What did it cost you? Always use lube--------Hans

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
After 30 years of complaining , cussing and breakin..I finally bought the right answer..the Pro model from Eastwood.

OP
OP
O

Oatmeal

After 30 years of complaining , cussing and breakin..I finally bought the right answer..the Pro model from Eastwood.
Yeah, that would be nice but, I wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost......they're pricey:eek:-------Hans

OP
OP
O

Oatmeal

4 bucks, what a deal
That is! I'll have to stop by my buddy's shop when the Snap-On guy's there and pick up a couple. Oh and just for the hell of it, I called up Harbor Feight tools customer service and I can get them individually as a replacement part for their double flaring kit for $1 ea + $2.25 shipping! Even if I buy 5, it's still $2.25 shipping but, it takes 6-8 weeks to get them?:? Anyway, I'm going to check out the flaring tool at their store to see if they would be compatible with mine (some of them are too tall) if so, I'll go ahead and order them....what the hell-------Hans

patrickmitton

Loc.
kerby Or.
When you buy harbor freight JUNK,you get home and it broke on the ride home. I have dropped stuf as I opened the package and it BROKE, Snapon at least is always replaced..

OP
OP
O

Oatmeal

When you buy harbor freight JUNK,you get home and it broke on the ride home. I have dropped stuf as I opened the package and it BROKE, Snapon at least is always replaced..
Dude relax, it's just the flare adapter, not the whole tool. The guy at the tool store said, that it is very common to break the 3/16 adapters and probably why they ask $12 for them.......because they know they have you over a barrel. The Snap On one is $4.50 but, I have to see one to make sure it will work with my flaring tool (an Imperial.....not junk). However if I can pick up 5 or 6 cheapies for the price of one (the $12 one is made by Imperial) why the hell not.......there's really not that big a difference in strength, it's just a machined button with a pin. While I do admit a lot of Harbor Freight's stuff is junk, they do have some decent stuff for cheap. Think of it this way, if you're broken down (on the road or the trail) would you rather have no tools or cheap tools to fix your shit ;)--------Hans