Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat

Old 11/09/17, 07:28 PM   #1
RPM289
Contributor

Do into others what you would have them do to you. Matthew 7:12

Phenix City, AL
eBay: RPM289
Garage
How many of you guys are running 2 batteries?

I have space in the back to run 2 batteries just wondering if i need them or just overkill? I am running GM 1 wire Alt and painless harness only 2 100w off road lights so far LOL. Plans are for 4 more lights up top and marine sound system.

"VOLCANO" 1970 Bronco, "LIGHTNING" 1995 Lightning, "EARTHQUAKE" 1965 Pro-street Mustang, "RPM289" 1966 Mustang restoration project... can there be to many projects?
RPM289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/17, 07:36 PM   #2
bronconut73
Contributor
Bronco Guru

How did you do that?

Orlando
Garage
Two Optimas under the hood.
One on each side.
Manual switch on both.
Winch wired to auxiliary/drivers side battery.
3G but going to 4G with Explorer swap.

'73, 3.5" sl, XL RS9's, F-250 mounts, Duff Long Arms, 1" bl, 35" MTZ's, C-4, twin sticked, P.S., built 351W, F&R Detroits, 4.11's, chromo axles, 11 leaf packs, SuperJoints, Chevy front disc, BC rear disc, BC Vintage a/c, Scat Procar 2K seats, 3G, Alpine/Pioneer, Bear, Cobra 148 GTL/Texas Star.
bronconut73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/17, 07:43 PM   #3
Yeller
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Rogers County OK
Garage
Used to but found with modern alternators it is really not necessary. It takes a Lot of winching to need 2

Driver of the Broncno

The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.
Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/17, 07:45 PM   #4
bknbronco
Bronco Guru

BRONCO ENVY.....Its a Jeep thing!

North Metro, MN
batteries are great for short term power......really your charging system should be able to handle the load. I dont see the point of 2 batteries. I too am adding a sterio........about 3 times the power my alternator will even put out. Should i add more batteries? NO.....should i add a bigger alternator? YES.

If women cant find you handsom they should at least find you handy!
Gota love the snowball effect...Thats broncoing for ya!
68 frame off project with glass tub and fenders
bknbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/17, 07:47 PM   #5
bronconut73
Contributor
Bronco Guru

How did you do that?

Orlando
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeller View Post
Used to but found with modern alternators it is really not necessary. It takes a Lot of winching to need 2
Tru dat,

But I use mine so I can have lights and stereo all night in camp and still be able switch over to the auxiliary battery to crank up in the morning. Then once running I bring the dead battery back on line so the 3G can charge it back up.

'73, 3.5" sl, XL RS9's, F-250 mounts, Duff Long Arms, 1" bl, 35" MTZ's, C-4, twin sticked, P.S., built 351W, F&R Detroits, 4.11's, chromo axles, 11 leaf packs, SuperJoints, Chevy front disc, BC rear disc, BC Vintage a/c, Scat Procar 2K seats, 3G, Alpine/Pioneer, Bear, Cobra 148 GTL/Texas Star.
bronconut73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/17, 09:15 PM   #6
gnpenning
Contributor

I have more questions than answers.

Mt
Garage
I ran 2. One for the replacement in the camp trailer when it would get low . Swap and charge while playing. Never had to worry about leaving the stereo on in the back woods.

70. 302, 3 spd, Duffy 3.5 lift. Future project
74. Dirty blue. 302, C4, ps, Ford frt disc, 4:30 31 spline curries, tru trac frt, Detroit rear.
76. 302. C4. Future project.
gnpenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/17, 09:28 PM   #7
blubuckaroo
Contributor
Grease Monkey

The Ark was built by amateurs, but the Titanic was built by professionals.

Ridgefield WA

My Gallery
What's the % you actually use the Bronco on trails?
And this is all about you, and not for bragging rights.
Probably less than 2%.

Most Bronco builds are more show than go.
Sure, there's the "salvage title" that runs the "Dusy" but, most Bronco owners are watching for paint damage.

Anyway, why do you need two batteries?

'77 Ranger/cut F&R/PS/PB/Vintage Air/2" suspension lift/1" body lift/T tie rod conversion/33-1050-15 BFG K02 tires/ 302/ Edelbrock 500 CFM 4 bbl/Aero Tanks/ Hooker Headers/ dual ex/ NV3550/ B&M shifter/ JB FabTwin Sticks/ 4.11s/rear posi.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/17, 09:37 PM   #8
taipeichris
Contributor
Bronco Guru

"Some men are born great, some men achieve greatness & some men drive Broncos"

Los Angeles, CA

My Gallery
Cool

RPM289,

I've always wanted to run two batteries to jump start myself but I always park backed in, facing downhill so if and when I do have a dead battery I popstart the old girl and I'm good.

Blubuckaroo,

I live to go camping with my Bronco, even if it's just car camping off PCH. But I think my license plate frame says it all...

Now can I get this pic to post? Nope! Way too much effort before dinner. I've flipped it, rotated it and still it's dinner time.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1725.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	434566  
taipeichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/17, 09:48 PM   #9
Bukin 67
Contributor
Bronco Abuser

I ♥ being stroked

s/w of Disorder

My Gallery
Garage
2 Optimas mounted in the rear corners, just inside the tailgate. I run a 200+ amp alt also. Always good to have redundancy parts and power options when you're out in the middle of nowhere.

"The Bukin'eer" 67 Sport. All unoriginal
Bukin 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/17, 11:08 AM   #10
blubuckaroo
Contributor
Grease Monkey

The Ark was built by amateurs, but the Titanic was built by professionals.

Ridgefield WA

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taipeichris View Post
RPM289,

I've always wanted to run two batteries to jump start myself but I always park backed in, facing downhill so if and when I do have a dead battery I popstart the old girl and I'm good.

Blubuckaroo,

I live to go camping with my Bronco, even if it's just car camping off PCH. But I think my license plate frame says it all...

Now can I get this pic to post? Nope! Way too much effort before dinner. I've flipped it, rotated it and still it's dinner time.

An extra battery for camping is a great idea! You can run a shower, lights, and electronics on it. Sort of like an RV.
Just make sure you install a battery isolator on the camp battery so you can still start the engine after watching movies and playing games all weekend.

'77 Ranger/cut F&R/PS/PB/Vintage Air/2" suspension lift/1" body lift/T tie rod conversion/33-1050-15 BFG K02 tires/ 302/ Edelbrock 500 CFM 4 bbl/Aero Tanks/ Hooker Headers/ dual ex/ NV3550/ B&M shifter/ JB FabTwin Sticks/ 4.11s/rear posi.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/17, 06:45 PM   #11
Skiddy
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Lookin at yer booger welds

Shawnee, OK

My Gallery
Garage
I used to but not now. now if I was out camping, running lights or whatever I would have two for sure. kind of like having two in the boat a must have

Tried True Ford Blue RIP my brother Mstark
74 Bronco with Mustang 5.0 EFI w/painless harness, C4, 4.56 gears, D20 twin stick, 35's, 2.5" SL, 3" BL, rear spool, Grizzly front locker D44, full cage, 5pt harness. bla bla
Skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/17, 07:05 PM   #12
5001craig
Contributor

Stock is what you make soup with.

NE Indiana
eBay: 5001craig
Just one battery for me in the Bronco but I don't winch or even have a radio. Two in the pontoon starts after being at the island too long with the stereo cranking...

And here's your pic right side up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taipeichris View Post
RPM289,

Blubuckaroo,

'74 Explorer 408W/C4/Atlas 3.0/35 spline rear/discs & Grizzly's front & rear/Duff Monster 3.5" with 4-Link Rear/2" BL/Painless...

My build thread.
5001craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/17, 07:06 PM   #13
sykanr0ng
Contributor
Bronco Guru

"You say overkill like it's a bad thing"

Greeley, CO
Well, I was thinking of just one BIG battery, but this thread reminded me that part of what I'm building for is overlanding/expedition style travel and camping so a battery or two in the back may be a much better idea to have.

... I've got skills, ingenuity and no regard for maintaining any kind of historical preservation or authenticity...My Dad called that sick and wrong
www.coloradoclassicbroncos.com
sykanr0ng is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/17, 08:50 PM   #14
jmangi62
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Hasta la vista,baby!

Omaha
Garage
I've got 2 Interstates under the hood, I have lots of lights, winch, stereo and future plans call for a air compressor and other goodies, only running a 100amp alt for now, may switch to a bigger one later. You can't really see them but one is in the original spot and the other one is on the dr side just like the original one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0062.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	434608   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0063.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	434609  
jmangi62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/17, 11:33 AM   #15
RPM289
Contributor

Do into others what you would have them do to you. Matthew 7:12

Phenix City, AL
eBay: RPM289
Garage
I do alot of outings with kids at church so extra power if I'm lighting up the fields to play ball or whatever they need to see. I was not thinking when i got the GM alt no idea what output is on it but may not be enough.

"VOLCANO" 1970 Bronco, "LIGHTNING" 1995 Lightning, "EARTHQUAKE" 1965 Pro-street Mustang, "RPM289" 1966 Mustang restoration project... can there be to many projects?
RPM289 is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat