Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat

Old 11/09/17, 03:11 PM   #1
Bill R

Unable to start Bronco

I have not started my '76 Bronco in about a year and it did not start yesterday when I gave it about four good tries. I stopped at that point to ask if anyone has any suggestions (for someone that is not a mechanic). The fuel gauge was on empty and I put in about 3 gallons of fresh high octane gas and I have a good strong battery. It has been hard to start in the past and I think it may be the carburetor (or maybe the operator).
  • Are there any procedures that are helpful after the engine has not been started for a long time?
  • Should the gas pedal be used when starting?
  • Is using Starting Fluid in the carburetor a good idea?
Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Bill R

Last edited by Bill R; 11/11/17 at 08:41 AM..
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/17, 03:25 PM   #2
BUCKWILD

S**T'LL BUFF OUT

OROVILLE NOR CAL
Dose the engine turn over? if so yes you need to pump the pedal a few times but it will take some tine to pump gas to the carborator. starting fluid is ok,brake clean works too.

66 F/W 60'S LOCKED UP 331 EXPLORER C6 203/205
BUCKWILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/17, 03:34 PM   #3
NicksTrix
Bronco Guru

Dream Big

Denver, NC
eBay: NicksTrix
take some of your fuel and fill the fuel bowl through the vent. work the throttle and see it squirt into the intake. you now have fuel in the system. slight splash out of your bottle won't hurt you. don't overdue it. add some spark and it should light off.

don't be surprised if your fuel pump is toast. the fuel these days kills rubber based parts like pump diaphragms, accelerator pumps in the carb..
if you know you are going to park it for long periods of time, use your fuel selector and cut it off, let it run out of fuel...

NicksTrix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/17, 03:36 PM   #4
half cab
Contributor
equestrian patcher

ride like the wind bullseye

ms

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R View Post
I have not cranked my '76 Bronco in about a year and it did not crank yesterday when I gave it about four good tries. I stopped at that point to ask if anyone has any suggestions (for someone that is not a mechanic). The fuel gauge was on empty and I put in about 3 gallons of fresh high octane gas and I have a good strong battery. It has been hard to crank in the past and I think it may be the carburetor (or maybe the operator).
  • Are there any procedures that are helpful after the engine has not been cranked for a long time?
  • Should the gas pedal be used when cranking?
  • Is using Starting Fluid in the carburetor a good idea?
Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Bill R
Yes give up n sell it to me

76 SPORT 351W C4 PDB
half cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/17, 03:40 PM   #5
half cab
Contributor
equestrian patcher

ms

My Gallery
Garage
Seriously. ..pump the pedal as the motor is spinning over. Like said could be several things but if it was empty it could take awhile to prime up. You have two tanks or one? I didn't notice if you said .

I don't recommend using starting fluid.

76 SPORT 351W C4 PDB
Old 11/09/17, 04:43 PM   #6
Bill R

Thanks for the replies. The battery and starter are doing a good job and the engine is turning over strongly but it is not firing. I only have one gas tank. Bill R

From NicksTrix: "if you know you are going to park it for long periods of time, use your fuel selector and cut it off, let it run out of fuel."

What/where is the fuel selector?
Old 11/09/17, 04:50 PM   #7
Slowleak
Contributor
Bronco Guru

"Free men do not ask for permission to bear arms"

Lilburn, GA

My Gallery
Garage
Unable to crank Bronco

What have you done so far besides cranking and pumping the pedal? Like Nick said, fill the carb bowl, check for fuel squirting in the carb, or dump a little gas into the carb and crank it..... then let us know what happens.

77 Ranger, a/c, auto, ps, pb, all original.
Slowleak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/17, 07:42 PM   #8
half cab
Contributor
equestrian patcher

ms

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R View Post
Thanks for the replies. The battery and starter are doing a good job and the engine is turning over strongly but it is not firing. I only have one gas tank. Bill R

From NicksTrix: "if you know you are going to park it for long periods of time, use your fuel selector and cut it off, let it run out of fuel."

What/where is the fuel selector?
You wont have one if only one tank. Can you remove the breather and see if gas is squirting when you work the throttle? Can you confirm if it firing or not?

76 SPORT 351W C4 PDB
Old 11/09/17, 11:11 PM   #9
Bill R

When I said it is not firing, I should have said as I was trying to crank it there was no sound of the engine beginning to run. I will check for the gas squirting in the carburetor tomorrow. I will also try pouring some gas in the carburetor.
Thanks to all who replied, Bill R

Last edited by Bill R; 11/09/17 at 11:24 PM..
Old 11/09/17, 11:55 PM   #10
BajaBronco
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Collect Them All! (some vehicles not for use with some sets.)

Petaluma, CA

My Gallery
Garage
Bill, I 2nd the motion to check for fuel squirt from carb... I always check this almost first thing on any Bronco I'm trying to start that has sat for any length of time. Even a small amount of moisture in the carb will gather at the bottom of the jet pathway and keep it from squirting at the venturis. Good luck and report back to us.

www.BajaBronco.com
'69 Stroppe Bronco Racer "Blue Torch" Kaysinger Racing
'66 Stroppe Racer Minor/Bayer/Unser/Jones #3
'68 Stroppe Racer: Rod Hall's former truck
'72 Baja Bronco "Tampico" yellow
'72 Baja Bronco Trail / Shop Hauler "Orange Roughy"
BajaBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/17, 02:07 AM   #11
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
What they said. It could be as simple as a weak pump (from sitting) is just having a harder than normal time priming itself from the tank.
Usually when a pump gets weak it will struggle to initially prime, whereas it can pull pretty hard when the engine is already running. To that end I've succeeded in getting a few weak pumps to start sucking by putting some gas directly into the float bowls so that the engine can run on it's own for at least several seconds to get fuel back into the lines.
Just putting some gas down the through is not always enough. It might start that way, but runs out of gas too quickly.

Even new pumps (well, ESPECIALLY new pumps!) will have this problem if they sit too long.

Good luck.

Paul

'71 Wagon, 3.5" WH, F150 disc brakes and steering, 4.11 33x11.50 Thornbirds, Kayline soft top, Hanson bumpers. "Built, not bought"

'68 LUBR, 2.5 + 1 WH, 31x10.50, 4.56, Explorer and 4R70w by EFI Guy, WH disc brakes, Hanson front bumper, Warn winch. "Bought, not built"

www.wildhorses4x4.com
DirtDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/17, 09:06 AM   #12
sprdv1
Contributor
REBEL

Guess you better call the Whaaaambulance

Lees Summit-Missouri

My Gallery
Always something Bill.. Good luck

sprdv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/17, 12:09 PM   #13
Bill R

I removed the air cleaner this morning and saw the bowl with flapper and two openings (not sure of correct terminology). I worked the throttle linkage next to the carburetor and could not see any gas being squirted. I then had someone pump the accelerator pedal and still did not see gas being squirted.

I poured a small amount of gas into the bowl and the engine sounded like it was cranking for just an instant and then went to the sound of the battery turning the starter. I did that several times with the same result. I didn't know how much gas I could safely pour in the bowl so I just poured a small amount.

I appreciate the help of everyone. I am no mechanic but I do have time, basic tools and walking around sense so maybe we can make some progress together. Thanks, Bill R
Old 11/10/17, 01:05 PM   #14
69broncofun
Contributor

That's a horrible idea. What time?

DFW
Garage
Hope you get this fixed. Sounds like you are on the right track. Good Luck
69broncofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/17, 01:09 PM   #15
ledslinger29

Sounds like a fuel problem