Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat

Old 04/13/17, 09:33 AM   #1
clintOK

Driftwood
Garage
Quiet please!

Can anybody help with the awful road noise/tire noise/exhaust noise I get when driving my bronco? It's a rhino lined tub on 33's with 2.5 inch lift and bcbroncos top (I know it won't be whisper quiet!) I need carpet but but do I dynamat and carpet? Just carpet? I have wakeboard speakers on the roll bar and I can't hear the stereo unless I blast it full power. Which I am sure is hurting my already degraded hearing from a lot of shooting sports. What is the best/most cost effective solution to getting this thing easier on the ears? Any help appreciated.
clintOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/17, 10:01 AM   #2
Slowleak
Contributor
Bronco Guru

"Free men do not ask for permission to bear arms"

Lilburn, GA

My Gallery
Garage
Dynamat, or equivalent, under the carpet and everywhere you can put it. I just redid my doors with a dynaliner type product, MLV, and new felts. Doors are often overlooked.

77 Ranger, a/c, auto, ps, pb, all original.
Slowleak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/17, 10:05 AM   #3
spap
Bronco Guru

So. Cal.
Dyna mat , carpet felt and then the carpet.. got to enjoy the noise haaa

77 5.0 4R70W 3.5 sl 1bl PS pb 35 mt
spap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/17, 10:10 AM   #4
clintOK

Driftwood
Garage
Carpet felt wasn't something I was finding on the regular bronco part sites. That's why I asked on here before buying stuff. Good thing there are guys like you to help dummies like me out! Do you think it will help much with noise reduction even with the soft top or am I just wasting money?

Now who should I buy from? I would like a pre-fit kit
clintOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/17, 10:48 AM   #5
Slowleak
Contributor
Bronco Guru

"Free men do not ask for permission to bear arms"

Lilburn, GA

My Gallery
Garage
Quiet please!

Ditto on the felt.... I did that too. I don't know of anyone who sells a full felt kit including the wheel wells. I know Tom's has a full floor kit. I did mine myself. It's really not difficult. I have felt over foil backed foam which is over a dynamat type product. I got foil backed felt from JC Whitney and spray glued it to the foil backed foam. You will notice a difference even with a soft top.

Last edited by Slowleak; 04/13/17 at 11:51 AM..

77 Ranger, a/c, auto, ps, pb, all original.
Slowleak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/17, 11:13 AM   #6
blubuckaroo
Contributor
Grease Monkey

The Ark was built by amateurs, but the Titanic was built by professionals.

Ridgefield WA

My Gallery
Carpet and padding will keep some of the noise out, but some will still get through. You need to pad the rest of the interior to absorb those sound waves. If you don't install padding in the top, sides, and doors, the sound will just bounce around inside the cab like a tin can.

A good example of this is in school gymnasiums. Since you can't put mufflers on the spectators mouths, padded panels are attached to the walls and ceiling to catch the sound waves.

I used some of that foam sheeting from Home Depot attached with spray glue between the top braces and installed the headliner right back over it. I used the same stuff under the side panels and inside the doors.

It's not necessary to get 100% coverage, but it all helps to trap those sound waves.

'77 Ranger/cut F&R/PS/PB/Vintage Air/2" suspension lift/1" body lift/T tie rod conversion/33-1050-15 BFG K02 tires/ 302/ Edelbrock 500 CFM 4 bbl/Aero Tanks/ Hooker Headers/ dual ex/ NV3550/ B&M shifter/ JB FabTwin Sticks/ 4.11s/rear posi.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/17, 11:43 AM   #7
Rustytruck
Contributor
Bronco Guru

honest the bolder ran under me

El Monte CA
Once you get rolling with the basics then go to Bronco hut and get the fiberglass liner panels for the top and bed sides and stuff the space behind them with insulation.

https://broncohut.com/collections/fiberglass

1974, stock 302, C4, BFG KM2 33x12.5x15, 8in rim, detroit rear, trutrac front 4.11 gearing, Warflairs,2.5" lift, chevy disc conversion, Hydraboost, owned since Christmas Eve 1977
Rustytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/17, 12:14 PM   #8
69Gumbi

Happy wife Happy life

Tehachapi ca

My Gallery
Garage
Has anyone put any kind of sound deading under floors ?
69Gumbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/17, 12:31 PM   #9
Weazer2003

Garage
Dynamat and carpet helped me out a LOT. I have a louder exhaust, and my floor was also lienex'd and before carpet it was crazy loud while driving. Seem to just echo off all that metal. Now it's waaaaay queiter. I'd say far less than half as loud as before. It's worth it for sure. Top up or down.
Weazer2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/17, 01:16 PM   #10
jw0747
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Texas
http://www.cabelas.com/category/Hear.../104381280.uts
jw0747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/17, 01:43 PM   #11
spap
Bronco Guru

So. Cal.
It interesting about doing it under the floors. My wife s expedition is lined underneath the whole bottom with a ford foil based product and in the engine compartment
Just wonder what would stay up there through all the mud and water

Old 04/13/17, 01:44 PM   #12
spap
Bronco Guru

So. Cal.
Oh and felt really helped with the heat from the engine too easy to work with with 3m adhesive too

Old 04/13/17, 01:46 PM   #13
Broncobowsher
Total hack

Adapt and overcome

Maricopa, AZ
Road/tire noise is from tires. Don't care how much you blanket the body you are still fighting the noise. Change the tires to something that rolls quieter.

What fan do you have on the engine. Fan roar is generally a huge noise generator. Going to a clutched fan (like the Explorer front dress) can really quiet up the fan.

Exhaust is so simple I am not even going there.

Aftermarket open air cleaner? Those allow a lot of intake noise. Factory style will be quieter.

"She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro"-Zapp Brannigan
“How hard can it be?”-Clarksonius 4th century BC.
Full throttle, it either solves the problem or ends the suspense.
Broncobowsher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/17, 02:55 PM   #14
76YETI
Contributor

KC METRO

My Gallery
Garage
The road noise, exhaust and overall clanking is therapeutic for me.......but mine isn't a Daily Driver

76 Ranger U151
76YETI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/17, 03:02 PM   #15
73azbronco
Contributor
Too much time on my hands

Aridzona
Be careful on the dyna product which has the glue on tar like surface dynaliner. I avoided using that over the hot areas.

What I found for use in mine is 2 versions of dynamat: Dynapad and dynamat. One is pretty hefty and has the tarlike stuff encapsulated between layers. I also went to an upholstery shop and bought enough of that silver backed fluffy carpet backing stuff for about $40, like slowleaks stuff above. I am going to use dynaliner on the walls of the rear quarters behind the 1/4 panel, that stuff will stick there no issue, didnt want to use that stuff right over the engine/tranny tunnel. Nor glue anything to the floor incase it did get wet from rain or such. I am doing what is shown above, cutting panels and taping it all together with this industrial nuclear powered tape. Duct tape on steroids.

As noted above, underspray really doesn't help, and once you cure the floor and 1/4 noise, the last place is the firewall which Im using the WH firewall factory looking replacement plus another layer of my silver backed upholstery material.

Tire noise is probably worn tires. i just replaced my KM2's that had 25,000 on them for same version new. Like night and day, My jeep is quite at 80 again, i never realized as they wore they got louder, like B29 loud.

73 Explorer , 347stroker, NV4500 D20, Quadrajet spreadbore with manual altitude compensation, 4.1 ARB, Moser CTM Currie, 78 FSB disks, 76 Tbird calipers. 3.5 WH suspension lift, 2" Body lift for NV clearance.

Build here:http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...69#post1759569
73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat