• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Broncos in the Weeds

OP
OP
Mono

Mono

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mono said:
I recently got a leed on a(What I belive to be)a 66 roadster that has made it's final resting spot far from the CA coast, up here in MN.
Somebody spotted a Bronco behind a repair shop, but told me it wasn't worth looking at> What bronco isn't worth taking a little peek.
It was Red, Soft top and doors, squared off bumpers, Gray dash, fender mounted mirror. 66roadster/or a wana-be Hmmmmmm?
Before I could snap a few pics of the rotten carcus, the owner told me it wasn't for sale, and he's going to fix-it-up someday. Yeah right!
Stay tuned......... I plan to take a closer look, and snap some pics(tonight).

Isn't everything for sale for the right price!

OK! I had to run to look at it during my lunch break.
It's alot rougher than I thought. There is a hole where a front fender mounted mirror could have gone> So maybe it's a roadster wana-be? Who knows....it's shure fun Hunting these old classics down in MN. Just wish there was something left for once!

I could use the roll bar.........
It had a Aux. heater in the back...........
Hmmmmmmmm......That's it!

**Note the NOS button on the T-case shifter. I'm shure she was a screamer in her days! Ha!

Attachments

• 66_1.JPG
    66_1.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 415
  • 66_2.JPG
    66_2.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 494
  • 66_3.JPG
    66_3.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 558
  • 66_4.JPG
    66_4.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 383
  • 66_5.JPG
    66_5.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 398
  • 66_6.JPG
    66_6.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 431
  • 66_7.JPG
    66_7.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
What really aggravates me is that they used sand for years out here and it did and does still work fine, they use it on the side roads. Every main road is covered in this orange salt crap that rusts out everything underneath, plus it rusts chrome wheels, bumpers and etches aluminum ones. That Costa Rica one is going to be tough to beat but I think Cleveland and Minneapolis guys can compete with it. Most of them end up on the roof out here if you dont have studded tires

Grover

Loc.
luhavull
I think LSUPete still uses that Bronc when he is in Costa Rica. Looks like hell but no one is going to steel it either.

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
YEP, I use that one when I'm rarely in Costa Rica, but my tenant uses it every day.

By the way, it doesn't look anything like THAT anymore. I got rid of the doors and sunk the roof off the end of my dock. I sanded the entire thing down and used three gallons of Durabak on the interior AND the exterior.......without fixing any of the dents. It has a 3.5" lift from Chuck and 35" tires on 15x10 wheels. It has a 351w w/ a C4 and exhaust that exits in front of the rear wheels.

I love to take it into town and MAKE the locals get the hell out of the way. Trust me, if you've never been to a third world country, you just have NO idea what a pleasure it can be to run their asses off the road.

:cool:

OP
OP
Mono

Mono

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Found more this weekend............
This one is a 77

Attachments

• Resized_77 3.jpg
    Resized_77 3.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 364
  • Resized_77 2.jpg
    Resized_77 2.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 384
  • Resized_77 1.jpg
    Resized_77 1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 306
OP
OP
Mono

Mono

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's a 66 half cab I spotted!

Attachments

• Resized_66teal1.jpg
    Resized_66teal1.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 285
  • Resized_66teal2.jpg
    Resized_66teal2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 236
  • Resized_66teal3.jpg
    Resized_66teal3.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 308
  • Resized_66teal4.jpg
    Resized_66teal4.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 266
OP
OP
Mono

Mono

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And another one!

Attachments

• Resized_tealterd3.jpg
    Resized_tealterd3.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 225
  • Resized_tealterd2.jpg
    Resized_tealterd2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 215
  • Resized_tealterd1.jpg
    Resized_tealterd1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 225

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
Mono said:
OK! I had to run to look at it during my lunch break.
It's alot rougher than I thought. There is a hole where a front fender mounted mirror could have gone> So maybe it's a roadster wana-be? Who knows....it's shure fun Hunting these old classics down in MN. Just wish there was something left for once!

I could use the roll bar.........
It had a Aux. heater in the back...........
Hmmmmmmmm......That's it!

**Note the NOS button on the T-case shifter. I'm shure she was a screamer in her days! Ha!

if those are the slotted aluminum mag wheels, i'd grab those in a heartbeat!

sbingham2

Loc.
Cedar Park, TX
It really is sad to see all those old Broncos rusting away. I lived in NY for quite a while, and so many of the classic cars and trucks were destroyed by road salt. When I was younger (and broke), I don't think I bought a single used car that didn't have rusty rockers, floorboards, and fenderwells.

I live in Texas now. I picked up my 70' Bronco two years ago. It had spent the better part of its life sitting out in the open on a deer lease, but the only serious rust was on the floorboards, everything else is solid.

We should set up a fund to buy these old Broncos and give them to the less fortunate, i.e., folks who drive Jeeps, Blazers, etc...

ransil

Bronco Guru
In addition to salt they use cinders from either the mills or power plants around here, nothing like black rocks flying all over the place.

OP
OP
Mono

Mono

Contributor
Bronco Guru
eds66bronco said:
if those are the slotted aluminum mag wheels, i'd grab those in a heartbeat!

What should I know about those slotted wheels?
I was paging through all my Bronco Drivers last night, and found a set mounted under a stroppe Bronco. Are they just an aftermarket wheel?
Thanks For the info.........
JohnM

Attachments

• 66_wheel.JPG
    66_wheel.JPG
    4.2 KB · Views: 2,148

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Looks like the wheels in the pics were the factory Ford aluminim slotted mag option from about 76-79. They look to shallow to be the desired Stroppe ones. The Ford rims were 6.5 inches wide. I have a set on one of my Broncos, and they look pretty good. Jeepster has a set on his too.

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
mp said:
Looks like the wheels in the pics were the factory Ford aluminim slotted mag option from about 76-79. They look to shallow to be the desired Stroppe ones. The Ford rims were 6.5 inches wide. I have a set on one of my Broncos, and they look pretty good. Jeepster has a set on his too.

yup, should have looked a bit closer, thought they could have been stroppe wheels, but that is one of my favorite rim designs regardless. plus you could send em off to champion and have a set of killer beadlocks made ;D

OP
OP
Mono

Mono

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's a local Bronc' that I'm still kickin' myself over.
I had just bought my house(2003)when this one rolled out for sale in Motley, MN.
Strapped for cash I couldn't come up with the $1200 starting price the shop was asking :'(
Lesson learned: always have a Bronco Reserve fund!

Attachments

• Resized_Resized_motley4.jpg
    Resized_Resized_motley4.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 279
  • Resized_Resized_motley3.jpg
    Resized_Resized_motley3.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 433
  • Resized_Resized_motley2.jpg
    Resized_Resized_motley2.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 264
  • Resized_Resized_motley1.jpg
    Resized_Resized_motley1.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 328
OP
OP
Mono

Mono

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's one I spotted this last weekend
66 rear Bumper.............

Attachments

• Resized_P1010013.jpg
    Resized_P1010013.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 277
  • Resized_P1010014.jpg
    Resized_P1010014.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 305
  • Resized_P1010015.jpg
    Resized_P1010015.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 196
  • Resized_P1010016.jpg
    Resized_P1010016.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 230
  • Resized_P1010017.jpg
    Resized_P1010017.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 282
  • Resized_P1010018.jpg
    Resized_P1010018.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 299

agent_orange_71

Loc.
Bluefield, WV
Im starting to think mono is broncolove in disguise. He's got a heck of a knack for finding these things. I know where a bunch (15 or so) are like this. Ill have to take my camera next time Im in the area.

OP
OP
Mono

Mono

Contributor
Bronco Guru
agent_orange_71 said:
Im starting to think mono is broncolove in disguise. He's got a heck of a knack for finding these things. I know where a bunch (15 or so) are like this. Ill have to take my camera next time Im in the area.

I get it from my dad. His love for classic boats takes us on all the "Back roads" looking for that undiscovered "find". While he's lookin' for boats, I'm looking for Broncos!
Here's a link to an article on his shop, "The Boat Works"
http://www.acbs-bslol.com/Boatbuilders/Larson-Crestliner.htm
We're planning another trip this weekend!
Broncos here I come!
If your in minnesota, please lift your garage doors, so I can find a NICE one!
JohnM