• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Heater Motor Upgrade

OP
OP
HotWheels

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
Mark Troy said:
forestguy Rodd, can you share the Napa part numbers?
thanks! ;D

here's the whole deal on the heter upgrade:

This is something that I have done and originally posted to the list about 6mo ago. Use the motor & cage from a 78 1/2 ton chevy pickup. Carquest part number #208971 (motor) & #209109 (cage). It is about a 30 min upgrade. You will need to cut the opening in the heater box larger. (I used a dremel tool). Use the cage as a guide. Then secure with some self tapping screws. The results are amazing. Cost under $40...

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
HotWheels said:
here's the whole deal on the heter upgrade:
This is something that I have done and originally posted to the list about 6mo ago. Use the motor & cage from a 78 1/2 ton chevy pickup. Carquest part number #208971 (motor) & #209109 (cage). It is about a 30 min upgrade. You will need to cut the opening in the heater box larger. (I used a dremel tool). Use the cage as a guide. Then secure with some self tapping screws. The results are amazing. Cost under $40...
thanks Hotwheels, I've been up with the thread, but I don't have a Carquest around here and forestguy did the Napa homework and might have those p/n's easily at hand. ;D ;D

forestguy

Loc.
Reno, NV
I am happy to put the Napa numbers out for everyone.

Carquest # Napa #
208971 455-1039
209109 655-1406

From Napa it will cost just over $40.

Time to rip things apart.

Kidney

Just did this to mine as well. It willl deffinitly make a big difference. The only complaint I could think of is that the new motor (maybe it's just the one I bought I dunno) is a bit noisy as compared to the original unit. I really don't care but maybe others might. Hopefully I bought the right unit but the one I picked up only had one conection while my original had two wires. Confused me for a second but it hooked up just fine. Great tip HotWheels Maybe this year I wont have to drive with my windows down to keep them from fogging up and freezing inside the cab. I now know how the cave men felt when they created fire. I sat in my truck for like 20 minutes admiring my new found heat ;D

cbfomoco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WV
so if it is just one wire is it still two spedd and wich one do you hook it up too??? thanks

Kidney

cbfomoco said:
so if it is just one wire is it still two spedd and wich one do you hook it up too??? thanks

Like I said I might have picked up the wrong one. but....I had one black wire and one orange maybe red wire dunno it was dark. I hooked the redish wire to the connector and I connected the black one to the body of the motor. It still has two speeds. It deffinitly works alot better.The low setting on the new fan is like the high setting on the old..lol I hooked it up the first time incorrecetly and all it did was blow air out the other way. BTW I highly suggest cutting out the hole with the heater box out. I did mine while it was in the cab with a dremel and a rotozip blade and it made a big mess with all the dust.

OP
OP
HotWheels

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
Kidney said:
Great tip HotWheels Maybe this year I wont have to drive with my windows down to keep them from fogging up and freezing inside the cab. I now know how the cave men felt when they created fire. I sat in my truck for like 20 minutes admiring my new found heat ;D

no problemo. we are all in this together. trying tokeep our rigs and selves happy. ;)

forestguy

Loc.
Reno, NV
Just like everything else I try to fix on my baby, once I get into it, there are several other things I need to fix while I am there. So I still have the heater box out and working on some of the stuff behind the dash. I will let everyone know when I am done.

Also, the reason it wasn't blowing air it the first place was due to all the leaves and crap packed in the air inlet.

I can't wait to see the difference the new blower motor makes.

forestguy

Loc.
Reno, NV
Now I have ran into a little problem. I tried to test the new motor out and I get nothing. :mad: I hooked the red/ orange wire to the terminal on the motor and then grounded the motor and get nothing. I am not sure what I have done wrong. I was going to post some pics, but I can't figure that out either.

Kidney

If your blower was working before then you might have blown the fuse. I accidently bumped both wires together and coudn't figure out why my motor wouldn't work but I looked at the fuses and I had blown one. Also the black wire needs to be ground on the motor itself. If you noticed the black wire is originally grounded from the motor to the metal side of the heater box at least mine was.

Hope thats right..b/c thats how I did mine and it works really well..

mountainlivin

Loc.
colorado springs
wow!!! i was just browsing this morning, found this post went and bought the parts and installed the new motor. Wow!!! now that was a great tip. thanks. I was getting ready to get one of those $160 after market heaters. you just saved me some cash. this is a great sit. it is nice having a heater that blows

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
forestguy said:
Now I have ran into a little problem. I tried to test the new motor out and I get nothing. :mad: I hooked the red/ orange wire to the terminal on the motor and then grounded the motor and get nothing. I am not sure what I have done wrong. I was going to post some pics, but I can't figure that out either.
You can hook up a 9 volt battery to the motor wires to check if the motor is operational.

forestguy

Loc.
Reno, NV
I am thinking I have a grounding problem. Will grounging it to the backside of the heater box, where it bolts through the fire wall work? I want to try and keep all the wires as hidden as possible. Anyway, here are a couple of pics.

Attachments

• blower motor.JPG
    blower motor.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 1,424
  • heater box.JPG
    heater box.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,460

forestguy

Loc.
Reno, NV
I will try the 9 volt battery test, or I was thinking I could use my battery charger and just put the aligator clips in the correct places.

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Thanks

Thanks, a buddy of mine said he just did this upgrade to his Heep so I figured there was some informaiton this...so I checked the threads and guess which was on the top of the list....I plan to do this upgrade. I will also try to take pictures..

Mike Strickland
President
www.BigCountryOff-Road.com

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
If it means anything to anyone we have access to these units as well. My supplier carries two brands, an econo line equal to what you find most other places, $37.00 Canadian (reg. $51.00). They also have new Semiens units at $70.00 Canadian (reg. 93.75). But shipping is a hinderance, as to Califorina it is $15.00, so it makes it not cost effective. (Unless the US dollar goes up past $1.21 or you wanted to buy something else with it, hint, hint, LOL) I would imagine the only use I can be is if you wanted the Semiens unit, which might not be available every where. Or the discount I get actually was greater than cost plus shipping.

71 BRNCO

Now that everyone has had this mod for awhile....is everything still working perfect and only one person has made a coment about it being loud. Anyone else noticed this. I am leaving at 12 to go and buy the parts.

so I just use a dremel to enlargen the hole and put the new motor and cage asembly into the heater dril the holes and screw it in. sound like the electrical setup is the same as stock. a few more thoughts please
kyle