• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Alternator belt

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Does anyone have a part number for the alternator belt that is slightly narrower than this one? It’s riding high in the pulley and giving me a good squeal for longer than I like. Thx!
538d36fc721b16a713636862abf8e13c.jpg
13b9ca4397a1909687f5958246d200fa.jpg

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
That Gates looks to be a bit longer than your current belt. I use this site to look them up and compare. My belt, a 15395, is too narrow so I’m going thru the same thing.
https://www.vbeltguys.com/search

yep -- good catch, thanks! I was able to cancel the Amazon order. I used the link you gave and then found one at a local Autozone that I think will fit. I'll pick it up in the morning and give it a shot. Thx!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Looks like a 3G alternator on a single V-belt. Well known for squealing.
Maybe a slightly larger diameter pulley is a better fix?

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Looks like a 3G alternator on a single V-belt. Well known for squealing.
Maybe a slightly larger diameter pulley is a better fix?

That's the setup. I'm accustomed to an occasional quick squeal on start-up, but since I put on this new belt it's gone crazy. This Gates belt is thick and sits high on the pulley. Hard to see in the pic, so I'm thinking if I go back to a thinner belt like was on there (that I threw away because I'm a knucklehead), I can get back to the quick squeal on start. What larger dia pulley would I use? Don't mind making that swap while I'm screwing with it...

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This belt cured my squealing on my V-belt high amp alternator. But I cinch it pretty tight. And I keep it on a NOCO .75W tender. V-belts are supposed to ride high on the pulley--not run flush with the pulley on the OD is what I'm trying to say.

y0sVmNx1lzJI-LYSkkDZKgAgQCPyJLBPkLizzlNYnaAZpuutOqjfGl6rODk2g1UzDUGEKmN8WolVmt73OptKmUkyo5YDr5UlR_MEECxIWE3dWpDFrA_ImgDT4RWBvgpy3Xygg39xpvNiRynvco046YhHLVV13QN4mZJPuVPTaZhsltrXnP7XCNioHdtowuyi8IAmbSaVOwbHUdNizFYJu7u0QJkUTY1sAKtBEPo6a24WnMMdFG6eJdDBTUkaoGPwsmT3g8Alw5RsLsUML9lrMsYYmYQ9N4CCBmPc4B7epSzfo-ER8-cPW6pzvaoCmhlisqgTdz5z0dXCqWJLPop8U5rT-lQPG0V_qZF-7aNQZ2FfDMYxlFbKWw4Tx6fgGEvp60Yuy0NhOsoxzVo_RsYGuaSc92ErrOkcqwu-QgEmKQspUzj94ddrB9W--nOV2HvtT35jPfpXtMAHAB09Jx_e_4eaxx0yTwGaXAVKxCtIx70x88E-thE6FRD9KglQzPXXTwkLIhuvqc1X-KEx-m1pUhOYt6RpvlbJuJnMcmOcJBRZPJSZcACHRAgEm8RpAykXqea9tRofuMpRJz3FPwU2fJ6CaolJQtDa095vfTL4=w539-h958-no

Here's how mine rides:

dR2w1CCibxMcwqw_VcUmXvkyOPcee6QIYE5HEdNc59v0RZf_9rgi6J4SVWYelEZ5lQlvMJWDFc3FWqQ0QZwF6IlQC8_ceOSvSYbKUt5PufrpdNF7jD_eSKfo9c355vk2IdxGDdFK_aN9uwGKb5b8hyWkwOn37f9EUzDybp-p1VKcmnqQRozl4z6yVE6QsGTwXvR08DeKzzOJyQ4yBw7M5DRlp68vJaFQDwALA87Ch2gejy9Ja-JmXXCwKzp11q9z5ZtNBdHueJJieblApf0Z0Q9ZPFgQYkWPlblQlBPC7MHP3ztqQc9WMZ5oyl9hcnxB91QjaiUguCRctfsqea-lZxFjcduF5q3bV7XggSSgCEhK3EXzPlA38K1tTnLjfl0-55ZL5zbjuP-JXdSDrI5hwJpHhgEadPTGKJ5cJSOZQMoFIWVGk8Wikeaw99zRKMmL1zb4iI9eP8daSJTVlOt0vvF6JotAWhxCwF_0x6hOnDriU2LdJU6mzQH9myMLPFX-rbekVJRANRBYtSKBv_hEfomRqlTmPArdsFAMvxuKs5IfnnYeizzEPWkO9ZbiZpS-wT4RWaMgoLpmbJ_djFNryUradO8v-twrIgL1TJuc=w539-h958-no

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
This belt cured my squealing on my V-belt high amp alternator. But I cinch it pretty tight. And I keep it on a NOCO .75W tender. V-belts are supposed to ride high on the pulley--not run flush with the pulley on the OD is what I'm trying to say.

That's the belt I referred to earlier in the post, but it will actually be a couple inches too long for my application. My water pump pulley is a little smaller than stock.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. 6841 Is not the correct belt. 6841 is for Fractional Horse power items. It's not for automotive.
... It's been to long since I was in the parts Business. But lets say the 6841 has 41* angle & Automotive angles are 38*. I Could be off on those numbers.
... So If you need 38 & you put a 41 degree belt in place then it only touches a part of the pulley .. The complete surface does not touch. & you get a squeal.
.... But what I'd do on this set up I think I'd try & find a wider Alt pulley. Swap Pulleys.
............ Now heres another problem . If you use too narrow a belt. It may bottom out in your pulleys . Again if it can bottom out then it's not getting a complete pull. & More SQUEAL.
... so if any of the belt is sticking out over the top of one of the pulleys . You need a new pulley.. All the belt needs to be in contact with the pulley.
... Also if you run the 6841 series belts on automotive pulleys then they will wear in a round circle & A new belt will not stop the squeal.

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Well, Autozone came thru! No squeal, No mas! This belt was a fraction narrower than the Gates belt, so it seated into the pulley perfectly. Not sure what the “15” is, but the 385 is belt length. Mine is 38.5”, a little smaller than stock because of my small diameter water pump pulley.
e90b3cd90c30cc77401a508d1b37d7d9.jpg
1bb450f9f1f0efac2ffe640882dc6534.jpg

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Good deal! I have the Duralast 15395 from Autozone so mine is an inch longer. I’m going to try the 15385 so I can get the belt a little tighter. I have switched to a smaller waterpump pulley and need the shorter length. Your old belt looks like it might be metric......

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Good deal! I have the Duralast 15395 from Autozone so mine is an inch longer. I’m going to try the 15385 so I can get the belt a little tighter. I have switched to a smaller waterpump pulley and need the shorter length. Your old belt looks like it might be metric......

I bet this one works for you. I don't even have a squeal on start up anymore, so I'm pretty jazzed!!

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
If I remember correctly 15 tells you it's a 3/8 belt if that front number had been 17 then it'd have been a 1/2 wide belt.
... Your correct on the 385 being 38 inches long ... The 5 most belts it was 5/10.
But one belt company the 5 was for 5/8.'s. I'm thinking the 1/8s company was Goodyear.
... Remember Guys I started in the Part business back in 1967 & GOT pushed out in 1995.
.......Another story from the past ... One day the WareHouse owner & 3 more men. Shows up at my store. iT WAS THE DRIVER of an INDY CAR ABOUT 1970
STP was his sponsor . They stayed about 30 minutes.
... Memories tells me it was Mario Andretti.
Wish I had that picture.

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
If I remember correctly 15 tells you it's a 3/8 belt if that front number had been 17 then it'd have been a 1/2 wide belt.
... Your correct on the 385 being 38 inches long ... The 5 most belts it was 5/10.
But one belt company the 5 was for 5/8.'s. I'm thinking the 1/8s company was Goodyear.
... Remember Guys I started in the Part business back in 1967 & GOT pushed out in 1995.
.......Another story from the past ... One day the WareHouse owner & 3 more men. Shows up at my store. iT WAS THE DRIVER of an INDY CAR ABOUT 1970
STP was his sponsor . They stayed about 30 minutes.
... Memories tells me it was Mario Andretti.
Wish I had that picture.

That would have been an awesome picture to have!!! That dude could drive!

Uncut1970

I’m having some pretty awful “squealing belt syndrome”

I am running a new Wild Horses Alternator, V-belt with a Goodyear belt.

It seems to go away eventually (sometimes). Other times, it just squeals all the time, very very loud...

Any help would be appreciated

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
All the usual suspects for helping:
1. Tighten the belt even more. (not a great idea, but can help temporarily)
2. Larger diameter pulley. Gives more surface area as well as changing the ratio. Does slow down the alternator slightly, but not only is it not much, but the 3G's can put out scads of amps at lower rpm anyway.
3. Dual-groove pulley. More surface area and a spare belt in case one breaks out on the highway or trail.
4. Different type of belt. Brand or design. Notched, ribbed, grooved, smaller or angled differently. Whether it helps or not depends on what's on there now.
I think the guys were saying above that the Goodyear belts they were using were more prone to squealing than the others. But don't quote me on that, 'cause I have not re-read all the posts.

Good luck.

Paul

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I sold the Goodyear belts for many years ... As the wearhouse came in & took my GATE BELTS AWAY. & Gave me GOODYEAR. i WAS REALLY P.O. at 1st but the local FORD House wanted my GOODYEAR BELTS SO I picked up a better new account because of the swap . SO I Shut up.
Most of my customers said my Goodyears didn't squeal as bad as others . Back in the day DAYCO Made auto zones belts . they were not very good in the old days.
..... A LOT of times belt slip or squeal was from someone having 2 different size pulleys on their motor.
Look & make sure all pulleys are the same width. Make sure one normally the alt pulley . Has been ruined by at some point running th wrong belt in it .
MAKE Sure all pulleys are V SHAPED NOT a ''U'' shaped . Running fractional H/P. Belts in V Groves make the V groove wear into the U shape. This will help it slip. & As was said by putting a larger V Groove on you Alt. the pulley will turn a few RPM'S LESS helping with squeal . But also remember when the larger pulley is installed onto your alt. You now have gained some fraction of more/ longer
surface touching the belt . Again helping stop squeal .
..... iI Found a smaller V DUAL Groove pulley from a Jeep at the wrecking yard. for my BRONCO ,when it was Gas. I put it onto my Water Pump. Hoping to make the pump turn faster for more cooling... Didn't fix it either . Nothing did so I went to the Diesel motor.
& That pulley I was trying was like a 5inch instead of 6 inch I had. & I did have to take it to a lathe & drill new bolt mount fan hole in it . It now had 8 holes . But that did work fine. I wasn't sure when I did it.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
I went with dual groove pully on WH higher amp alt......tough to get two belts that are the same "exact" length so one belt is really tight compared to the other one. I read you can purchase "matched belts" but have had no luck finding them in the length I need. Squealing is under control with the two belts but not sure how long the bearings will last as the one slightly shorter belt is pretty tight. So far so good after around 8k miles with Gates belts.