• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Suspension Lift - who is best?

Brent13

Loc.
Colorado Springs
I think my next major move on my 74 will be all new suspension. Will eventually run a 33x10.50, possibly 35" tire. My truck has a lot of new front end parts, drives and stop very straight, but rides like crap, and bumps cause some flighty feel. I think suspension is shot, along with it two different brands of shocks. Going with 3.5" for sure. May do 1" body lift down the road.

I am wanting to build a really solid off road Bronco with excellent road manners also. Off road wise, nothing too crazy, but certainly not looking for a camping suspension as some are described. I am looking to do the medium to slightly difficult trails.

So of all the 3.5 offerings, who is considered the best. I will budget about $1500 for this improvement. Looking to add dual shocks at the front, rear is up for debate. Will be adding bumpers and winch. Will likely never add a hard top, will go with a soft top for sure.

Have looked at Duff, Tom's, WH, and Bronco Graveyard. Who has the very best 3.5?

Thank you

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My personel preference is WH's. I think they have some of the better leafs as others will attest. Go with Bilsteins for shocks. You won't need duals with those. Remember there's other areas that typically need attention when lifting 3.5" like drop track bar bracket/adjustable track bar, drop pitman, extended brake lines, leaf shims, fuel filler, longer driveshafts etc..

If you want to off road on a "regular" basis and be semi aggresive, the list "can" get excessive as well as the cost. Disc brakes, lower gears, stronger axles/joints, steering etc..

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
I would go with Duff for the 3&1/2 inch lift kit. I used another mentioned that came with a project and it was awful on the street without the front and rear swaybars I had to install.

doghows72

Bronco Guru
I would highly recommend WH. I've had both kits mentioned and I definitely prefer the WH. I did a 2.5" lift and 1" BL. You might consider doing a 2.5SL with a 2"BL. Lot less to deal with on the suspension side.
And yes upgrade to Bilsteins they are awesome duals are not needed ever unless you plan on jumping it. Just my 2c.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I run bc springs on mine. Happy with thrive and flexes good off road. If you want some flex to it you may want to look into longer radius arms but you will lose some road manners. Shocks go single bilstiens. Just get the f-250 mounts for the front and save some $$. When you get to the brakes go hydro. Way better braking with the bigger tires.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
Well I had a 3.5" rancho lift its crap now I have a 3.5" Duff lift much better and a wild horses 1" that I still need to install but the 3.5" lift will clear 35"s if you cut the fenders. One thing to keep in mind right now and don't let this sway you but if you want your lift kit now most vendors don't have rear springs I know Duff's does but last I heard none of the others did. You could use a lift block for now and get the springs you want from any of the other vendors later just putting that out there.
My next two upgrades for my suspension will be long arms and bilsteins.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
You cannot go wrong with Duff or WH.

Both fantastic vendors that really support our hobby.

Next thing is shocks....

Are Bilsteins the best?

Well....yes...yes they are.

But you "can" use the shocks that come with either Duff or WH and be very happy. Maybe get the Bilsteins later.

I would just get the Bilsteins now.....but the Duff 70/30's ain't bad Bud....

It is a great time to be an eb owner. Lots of aftermarket support.

Last edited:

bax

Contributor
Old Member
The very best 3.5 kit is JD 3.5'' monster lift. It got all you need.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I have the Wild Horses lift and couldn't be happier, it is a 5.5 in. Suspension but it rides great on the street,haven't used it off road yet.:cool:

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I have the Wild Horses lift and couldn't be happier, it is a 5.5 in. Suspension but it rides great on the street,haven't used it off road yet.:cool:

Really???? Get off the road and tell us how it works.

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
I have the WH 11 leaf springs and Bilstein 5100's in mine and as Dave67fd noted at MEB in June, it handles and rides decent on the trails. It was a night and day difference in ride over the 5 leaf springs on the street.

brandenpro

Loc.
Salem, OR
I have Toms 3.5" coils and leaves. Did the f150 tower upfront and WH shock jock in rear. Then bought Bilstein 7100's all around. 1 shock is plenty on each corner. The ride is great and saved quite a bit of $$$ going this route.

broncbuster

I run BC coils and WH leafs. I've tried several set ups and this works best for me.

Blueboy

Hello all,

I am new to the CB forums, broncos, etc.

I have read many of the forums on lifts for street broncos that are a year or more old and was wondering if anyone has changed their mind on the lift they chose or if the vendors have changed their products so that there is a new better choice.

What would you suggest for a 3.5 SL street bronco that has a 1 inch BL. It will be a grocery getter, kid dropper offer, and downtown driver. Bringing hubcaps back with stock wheels and 31 or 32 inch tires about 9 inches wide. Open to suggestions.

I have read great things about the Duff 11 leaf and the BC Broncos set up.

I heard the Duff will sag in the front in a few years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I heard the Duff will sag in the front in a few years.

I'd be curious to see where you heard that, how long ago it was said and what vehicle it was referring too?

What is more typically said and more normal for most coil springs is that they will settle up to a 1/2" after "broken in"

Settling = good/normal

Sag = bad

Welcome to the greatest classic car and offroad community :cool:

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
My crawler is a real hodge-podge of vendor's products! WH 3 1/2" coils, Duff's long arms, F250 shock towers, CAGE 8-pack leafs with 2 leafs removed, Cross Ent inboard rear shock mount, WH Wrap Trap, etc.! All installed one upgrade at a time over about 10 years. Plus some other products from BC and Tom's.

If I was going to build one from the ground up today I would probably go with a full Duff system - I really like their long arms and 4-link rear set up. But you can't go wrong with a WH system or a BC system - all good stuff.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I'd be curious to see where you heard that, how long ago it was said and what vehicle it was referring too?

What is more typically said and more normal for most coil springs is that they will settle up to a 1/2" after "broken in"

Settling = good/normal

Sag = bad

Welcome to the greatest classic car and offroad community :cool:

X 10... can't go wrong with Any of our vendors

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Duffs 100%. Not a big fan of the WH or Toms suspensions (make a number of other good parts thought). I have had a lot of Broncos, the best handling at highway speeds as well as offroad is the Duff's suspensions. USA made springs is another deciding factor.