• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cummins 4bt Luber Build Thread(Off road video added)!!)

OP
OP
Dbteak

Dbteak

I was wondering how the new house was going and wondering if your build was abandoned. I'm glad you posted. Be sure to plan a car lift in your shop even if you don't plan on putting it in right away. It shouldn't cost you any extra to put a cathedral ceiling and add a little extra concrete where the posts go.

I have over 20,000 miles on the bronco and I still love driving it. It has given me zero problems other than the fan and I get 24.5 mpg almost every fill up. I have made a couple of changes. My electric fan died so I changed it out for a mechanical fan with a thermal clutch. Right now the bronco is on the car lift going back together now. The clutch has always had a heavy pedal and if I drive it too much my hip starts killing me after a while so I decided to change it over to a hydraulic clutch. If it works I was planning on starting a thread documenting the change. I also changed the rear main seal (I have the tool to install the sleeve and seal if you need to borrow it) as it was wet when I pulled the flywheel. I also changed the oil pan gasket and the power steering gasket. I had a oil leak on the front of the motor that I could not find where it was coming from as it dripped about 2 drips in 8 hours. Oil leaks bug the s&%t out of me. The only thing left is the timing cover. I will pull the motor if I need to change that.

Doug

big a

Loc.
Fort Worth
Not abandoned my friend, just on hiatus. I have it parked 3 blocks away in my friend's garage. I go by every now and again just to say hi to the ol' girl, LOL!!!

That's the plan! I moved into automotive alley. Most all of my neighbors have shops and some sort of automobilia! It's a real cool neighborhood. Two of my neighbors gave me the same advice!

So far, I've ripped out the HVAC and tore apart half the house. I've moved walls around, rewired half the house and relocated a bunch of plumbing. I'm finally in the process of hanging insulation and then sheetrock!

As for the shop, I'm meeting with my builder in the next cpl days and then, I'll have a slab poured the end of next wk, weather permitting. I told my wife I'm gonna sleep on the concrete and give it a big hug, LOL!!! This has been a dream of mine for yrs! One thing I'm doing for sure is applying an epoxy seal to the floor as soon as it's cured for 30 days before I move anything in.

That's awesome! I fabbed up a new core support so that I can easily unbolt the front end to make engine removal and installation easier. Plus, I was able to mount the radiator, intercooler and condenser. I would've have liked to go with a mechanical fan, but there just wasn't enough room . I prolly could've gone with a 2.5" intercooler and that would've helped, but I had already bought a 3".

LOL! I understand the oil leak thing. My engine is a brand new Reviva rebuild from a Hostess van. Reviva puts gasket maker on both sides of the gaskets. I did the same thing and used blue locktite on the oil pan bolts when I replaced it after clearancing it.

I had a leaky oil pan on my '02 CTD Dodge because the bolts loosened up. Happened a cpl times. I added blue locktite and no more problems! It was a pain though cuz there was a hundred of those little bolts, LOL!!!

I'm glad you're doin well and the Bronco is running great! I can't wait! One day in the future you'll see my old thread resurrected :)

dobbs

Tested my gas mileage a few weeks ago. 705 miles on one fill up. I figured I had 3 gallons left. I didn't want to run the diesel dry. They can be a pain to bleed the air out. That's a 23 gallon BC tank and a Tom's replacement tank.

Doug

First off, thanks for all of the writeup, I really appreciate you taking the time to get this all together.

Can you describe how you plumbed the gas tanks? I know there's a variety of ways to get this done, and that a feed pump is needed, but was wondering how you have yours setup.

Thanks in advance!

-Ryan

OP
OP
Dbteak

Dbteak

The way I plumbed the tank was pretty strait forward. I used 3/8 supply and 5/16 return. I don't run a feed pump other than the fuel pump that is on the motor that supplies the injector pump. For the aux tank I just pump it to the main tank with a switch. I didn't really want to use a 6 port valve and all the extra plumbing. The only fuel filter I run is the one on the motor. In Nevada we don't have an issue with water in the fuel that often. I would think if you were going to double your horse power you probably would need another pump. Just guessing.

Doug

OP
OP
Dbteak

Dbteak

The bronco is running great. I had to change the seal in the atlas transfer case output shaft. The nut was loose and started leaking oil. The web site says to retorque after 500 miles???? Went fishing and camping a few times last summer and the fall was busy at work. I did sneak in a deer hunting trip though.
The fuel mileage has been steady at 24-25mpg. Towing the fishing boat the mileage dropped to 20mpg.

Doug

Attachments

• WP_20150620_001.jpg
    WP_20150620_001.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 219

big a

Loc.
Fort Worth
That's awesome Doug! My buddy just finished dropping a 4bt in his bronco ii. It's a blast to drive!

-Andy

OP
OP
Dbteak

Dbteak

Went to Medford for the bronco show and trail ride and met Jon who goes by Nashville Early Bronco on Youtube. He was making a video of the bronco show and trail ride and also took some video of my bronco. Here it is on you tube. He did a great job on the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOrFyx074SI

[youtube]GOrFyx074SI[/youtube]

Last edited:

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... Man that is sweet Doug. I have the 4B in my Bronco But I don't think mine is near a sweet as yours.
.. I can't imagine your tire not rubbing on an uncut ..

BonezTheGoon

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
Hey Doug, did you use a hydraulic clutch? I have an NV4500 and a hydraulic clutch assembly and I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out how and where to mount it to get things working well. I've looked through numerous pics here in your build thread and I can't seem to figure out how you got your clutch working for your NV3550. Do you mind a few words and or pictures to try and nudge me in a good direction? Thanks!

OP
OP
Dbteak

Dbteak

Hey Doug, did you use a hydraulic clutch? I have an NV4500 and a hydraulic clutch assembly and I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out how and where to mount it to get things working well. I've looked through numerous pics here in your build thread and I can't seem to figure out how you got your clutch working for your NV3550. Do you mind a few words and or pictures to try and nudge me in a good direction? Thanks!

I started a thread on how I did my hydraulic clutch.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252720

me109stock

The 4bt ran about 3k. Then there was the ford adapter, starter, inter cooler, etc. I don't look back to see how much I've spent, I just look at my checkbook and see how much I can spend tomorrow.;D

Love that quote about the checkbook - great outlook and a good attitude to have for any restoration/build project!