• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Heater Motor Upgrade

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
Since I've been asked a few times about this; I figured I'd post it again:

It is about that time of year that we should be preping for winter.

This is something that I have done and originally posted to the list about 6mo ago. Use the motor & cage from a 78 1/2 ton chevy pickup. Carquest part number #208971 (motor) & #209109 (cage). It is about a 30 min upgrade. You will need to cut the opening in the heater box larger. (I used a dremel tool). Use the cage as a guide. Then secure with some self tapping screws. The results are amazing. Cost under $40...

I will write a tech article with photos for this shortly also.

Last edited:

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
I am doing your upgrade now! I am takig aprt the entire heater though for reseal and rust proof the interior so I will put the squirrel in the back and not have to dremel anything.

Fathom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
HotWheels said:
....I will write a tech article with photos for this shortly also.....

Can't wait to see what you got, thanks for your time and effort...

And posting the part numbers is too cool! :cool: :cool:

Thanks

Fathom

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cali77Bronco said:
I am taking aprt the entire heater though for reseal and rust proof the interior so I will put the squirrel in the back and not have to dremel anything.

Only thing wrong with that Cali77 is that it sounds like you wouldn't be able to remove the motor again for replacement or maintenance without removing the whole assembly.
Maybe that's not as big a deal as I make it sound, and you shouldn't need to pull it out for decades, but it's definitely more trouble if you do.
Make sure to double-check that the motor works before you put it all together too!

Last edited:

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Now that everyhting is cleaned out, with the motor warmed up I can only hold my hand over the heater outlet for 10 seconds because of the heat. I think that will be fine in a halfcab. Thanks for the help though

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
It's just like Xmas morning when I learn new cheap upgrades for my
Bronco(s)!
THANKS MEN!! ;D ;D

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
HotWheels said:
I've got a simple fix for that rattly tire swing that everyone seems to be amazed by....
So give already!!
It is the only rattle I have not got rid of.
TOFIC

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Ill take anything you have Hotwheels for tips ! Finally figured out the defroster. The door was froze up in the heater and when you pulled the cable out it just slid in the little clamp deal for the cable that hooks to the control rod and the door never opened. A little penetrating oil and some messing with it and it works great. Took the hoses off and blew a lot of crap out of them too.

forestguy

Loc.
Reno, NV
Just wanted to double check those part numbers. The cage is steel and not plastic?? I had the number crossed to Napa parts and that is what they came up with. Just want to know I am getting the right one.

Thanks in advance,
Rodd

Huskerbronco

Loc.
Lincoln, Nebraska
I did the heater motor and cage mod last night. What a differance!!! Before you could hardly feel the air from the defrost duct. Now it flows so good I think it will keep the side windows clear.

It has been geting cold here in Nebraska this will help alot.

Thanks HOTWHEELS

forestguy

Loc.
Reno, NV
Thanks guys, I will be doing it this weekend. Just got the re-seal kit from Wildhorses today.

It is getting cold here too!!!

Thanks again

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
forestguy said:
Just wanted to double check those part numbers. The cage is steel and not plastic?? I had the number crossed to Napa parts and that is what they came up with. Just want to know I am getting the right one. Rodd
forestguy Rodd, can you share the Napa part numbers?
thanks! ;D