• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer EFI Mass Buy Feeler.

rastiss

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wichita falls, Texas
i'm in on one! and likely gonna do a second in the near future. i'll have to have you supply the harness but i have pcm. this will be for my son's 55 f-100 i talked to you about....

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Sorry guys, I've been neglecting the board. I've been really busy between my day job, race weekend, and working on these harnesses.

Rastiss, have no fear, I'll get you covered. I have you down for the second round.

Shoot me a pm with your PCM code and I'll see if I can't grab a harness for you this weekend. You were planning to run the 4r70w correct?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Sorry guys, I've been neglecting the board. I've been really busy between my day job, race weekend, and working on these harnesses.

Glad to hear that you are keeping busy... ;D I am busy putting my motor back together after it returned from the machine shop. Sending the Bronco out mid July for some body work. No big hurry on my harness Garry

stock74

Will this conversion work on a Bronco with a manual transmission? Would it require a different computer than the one that comes from an explorer with an automatic transmission?

stock74

Sort of a broad question but how much of my existing '89 mustang EFI components on my Bronco could be re-used if any? Are and of the sensors interchangeable?

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sort of a broad question but how much of my existing '89 mustang EFI components on my Bronco could be re-used if any? Are and of the sensors interchangeable?

ditto on the above question. i have most everything for the mustang conversion (intakes, fuel rails, injectors, dizzy, tb, maf, etc) but would consider going with explorer setup. i even have the baumanator and 4R70w with a stock harness rewired by kolibar.

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Yes it will work with a manual trans, I simply disable all of the auto trans functions in the PCM when I flash it.

As for Mustang EFI parts interchanging with the Explorer setup, it gets tricky. There are a lot of variables. But the short answer is I would run all Explorer components.

O2's will work just fine as long as they are 4 wire sensors.

If you are running the 96-98 Explorer setup you can use the Mustang 19# injectors. The Explorer injectors are said to have a better spray pattern and are supposed to be more precise though.

As far as other sensors go, many could me made to work, the problem is most of them have different plugs from the Mustang stuff. It wouldn't make much sense to hack up a good Mustang harness just to use the plugs for the Explorer setup. With the Mustang stuff getting harder and more expensive to find you'd be better off selling it as a whole and using the cash from it to purchase the Explorer stuff.

stock74

Yes it will work with a manual trans, I simply disable all of the auto trans functions in the PCM when I flash it.

As for Mustang EFI parts interchanging with the Explorer setup, it gets tricky. There are a lot of variables. But the short answer is I would run all Explorer components.

O2's will work just fine as long as they are 4 wire sensors.

If you are running the 96-98 Explorer setup you can use the Mustang 19# injectors. The Explorer injectors are said to have a better spray pattern and are supposed to be more precise though.

As far as other sensors go, many could me made to work, the problem is most of them have different plugs from the Mustang stuff. It wouldn't make much sense to hack up a good Mustang harness just to use the plugs for the Explorer setup. With the Mustang stuff getting harder and more expensive to find you'd be better off selling it as a whole and using the cash from it to purchase the Explorer stuff.

Thanks for the reply! Sounds like it is simple enough for you to setup up the PCM for a manual transmission. Your answer to the mustang components confirms what I was thinking would be the best option which is selling the system. Thanks for confirming that for me.

Sorry to high jack the thread. Maybe this is not the place to ask but how much would a complete mustang conversion with components that are in good condition and low miles go for?

/thread high jack

Thanks Again!

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
It really just depends on what people are willing to pay. FeeBay seems to be commanding top dollar lately. I've even seen guys asking $300 for an A9L on Craigslist. I sold one a year ago on Craiglist for $150, only took 2 days, 50 E-mails, and 30 no-shows.

You can probably get realistic pricing in the classifieds here or over on Corral.net

FWIW I have a complete 91 Mustang 5.0 engine, PCM, and harness listed locally for $700 that hasn't had much interest.

stock74

It really just depends on what people are willing to pay. FeeBay seems to be commanding top dollar lately. I've even seen guys asking $300 for an A9L on Craigslist. I sold one a year ago on Craiglist for $150, only took 2 days, 50 E-mails, and 30 no-shows.

You can probably get realistic pricing in the classifieds here or over on Corral.net

FWIW I have a complete 91 Mustang 5.0 engine, PCM, and harness listed locally for $700 that hasn't had much interest.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like I have some homework to-do. Not sure at the moment if it makes sense "money wise" to do the conversion. Though it would be really nice to have OBDII and newer electronics. Hmmm... Decisions, decisions.

tcjones76

Loc.
Tyngsboro, Ma
I started the tear down of the Mountaineer. I should start my own build thread.

Attachments

• 2013-07-04 13.29.27.jpg
    2013-07-04 13.29.27.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 333
OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Nice. Do a build thread for sure, with lots of peektures!

Tom Dummer

Loc.
Scappoose, Or
Just realized I wasn't subscribed. I hope this build we are doing doesn't take so long that EFI is outdated technology by the time we are ready to fire it up! Going much slower than I hoped!

Tom Dummer

Loc.
Scappoose, Or
I bought the project for my son & I to build 2 1/2 years ago and we just now rolled the Exploder into the garage last Saturday to get the motor out. 3 days later the motor is still sitting tight in the explorer.

Mark in Memphis

I bought the project for my son & I to build 2 1/2 years ago and we just now rolled the Exploder into the garage last Saturday to get the motor out. 3 days later the motor is still sitting tight in the explorer.

That sounds about right. Our Broncos are like old men. They are set in their ways and not open to a lot of rapid change. You can't just go throwing a bunch of new parts into the old Bronco, you've got to build up to it slowly. First you get the two vehicles on the same property and you let them get to know each other for a while. Then gradually move the two vehicles closer and closer until they are side by side. That way when you get around to doing the swap the parts won't seem as foreign to the Bronco.

Personally, I've got several parts laying in various positions around my shop doing just that.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I just want to say that I took delivery of my ECU and Harness from Garry...

It is very clean, sano job, all the Ford connections are marked, along with the individual wires... and he supplied the Explorer relay box with the rewire.

Garry called me with a lot of questions and he has provided me with the wires in the locations that I need to work with my 68 and the Centech harness.

The harnesses (3) (engine, 4R70W, and power) have fresh wire loom and are prewrapped with tape. I feel the quality is as good as I would do, and I am very type A about how I do things.

I am eager to get started on my rig, but it is at the body shop and when it comes home I will need to pull the 289 and 3 speed, then clean and paint the frame before I can get started.

I feel that I can recommend Garry's work, by what I have seen so far... I am looking forward to the day I can turn the key

Doug