• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Back yard find! The HMS/Sealund race bronco

OP
OP
Gud Racing

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
boy..if i was a little boy at the store and saw that thing driving down the street...my balls would drop ;D

looks better with those rims on her! +++++++

it still looks longer then a normal bronco tho??

what tires are on it now?

It is a little longer. It was stretched 10" in the front. Its now sitting on 35" race Wranglers.

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
tires look good on it.

what about lift? it don't look much taller over stock,they just make the wheel opening bigger? what the measurement from the bottom-middle of the wheel opening to the top of the fender?
sorry for all the questions :p

OP
OP
Gud Racing

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
tires look good on it.

what about lift? it don't look much taller over stock,they just make the wheel opening bigger? what the measurement from the bottom-middle of the wheel opening to the top of the fender?
sorry for all the questions :p

Ask away! I am happy to answer whatever you got. Lord knows I have asked enough myself. I think it just has 3.5" lift. But it sits high. The body is also not as tall as a stock body, and it may be moved up a little.

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
ya the body looks like its been shortened, not 100% if i like it... or if i would do it.
i would want to still use the stock tail light's. (what did they do for that?)

wonder if you can use those panels to make a mold to make new one's....and sell some to me?? lol ;D

glad the questions are not a problem lol not sure what it is...but I'm really taken with that thing. maybe cus i love baja,bronco's,anything classic, and history. would be my guess. lol

OP
OP
Gud Racing

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
The body is 26" tall. It would be the same as if you cut the rockers off and moved the flares up. That is about the same as my Yellow Horse bronco.
The bronco looks very tall in person but it sits dead even as the green snow plow. The Green plow has about 3" of lift with 33 mud kings.

I really have lucked out with the wheel and tire combo. I bought them for Yellow horse about 5 years ago but didn't end up using them because they aren't very street friendly. When I got them the wheels had never been mounted before. They are what Thunder racing used in the 70's. 10" back 8.5" front. The tires are an updated version of what it had too. 35" race Wrangler MT's. I still have the factory spoke wheels that it had for years but I think they look better on my 79 than they do on Gypsy.

OP
OP
Gud Racing

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
air-small.jpg

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
Yup, 351C.

I haven't spent any time looking up numbers. I have been too busy trying to get all the water out and get it cleaned up first.
I had a little set back last night. The oil pump is froze up. :-[ Well a least now I know why the distributor broke and what the lower end looks like! I also figured the pan was going to be a mess with rust. I drained about 4 gallons more of water out of the pan but, you'd never know it! :eek:
I sure would like to know what they put in this motor to repel the water like it did. ?:?

_MediaCard_BlackBerry_pictures_IMG0.jpg

>>>>>> the pan might have been coated with some stuff put in the motor called Polydyn ...... here's a link to scooters old website > http://pages.prodigy.net/clyon/_import/pages.prodigy.net/clyon/index4.html .... polydyn >> http://www.polydyn.com/ ..... polydyn also had quart bottles meant to be poured in like a slick-50 & was suppose to somehow coat your motor & I believe around that time scooter put it in a few of his broncos & most likely this bronco too..............

1975stroppebaja

Bronco Guru
Holy moly! How did I miss this thread for this long? Congrats and what a find! I'm really looking forward to following your progress on this.

I'll try and dig through my old mags and stuff and see if I have any pics of her.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Holy moly! How did I miss this thread for this long? Congrats and what a find! I'm really looking forward to following your progress on this.

I'll try and dig through my old mags and stuff and see if I have any pics of her.

Make sure you check the link he posted from the trip home from Houston ;)

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
welp...we might be starting our own race circuit heir in Utah. ;D

if this dose happen, i might rebuild my bronco just like the The HMS/Sealund race bronco!

all i will pretty much need is a mildly built 351c, gears, 35's, about a grand or more of DOM tubing,and some window net's :cool: should be able to go race then.

OX1

Bronco Guru
With all those paint schemes, which one are you going to restore it too???

OP
OP
Gud Racing

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
welp...we might be starting our own race circuit heir in Utah. ;D

if this dose happen, i might rebuild my bronco just like the The HMS/Sealund race bronco!

all i will pretty much need is a mildly built 351c, gears, 35's, about a grand or more of DOM tubing,and some window net's :cool: should be able to go race then.

Heck yeah! Do it! ;D

OP
OP
Gud Racing

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
With all those paint schemes, which one are you going to restore it too???

I haven't decided which paint scheme yet. Most likely one of the Bandag versions. Early or late I don't know yet.

OP
OP
Gud Racing

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
Looking thru some old catalogs I found this strange picture. the plaque says 1st place finish in the 1981 Mint. But in the pic it has a metal body? We think the picture is from 1986. I guess in that race they had to change the body a little per the SCORE rule book.

Notice the bottom "owned by Thunder Racing" not Hal Sealund. This is after Hal sold most of his shares off of Thunder Racing.

I wonder what happened to that body? ?:?

image001.jpg

66Bronco

I found this picture while looking in some old magazines.

scan0001-vi.jpg

Gotta keep this thread going....

-Terry