• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Borgeson set screw safety

jperry1290

Just completed my borgeson collapsible shaft install and it put the set screws in per borgesons instructions. I don’t know how well I trust the set screws and I read on other forums about the screws breaking. I have also read that drilling all the way through and using a bolt weakens the shaft.

Any recommendations? History with these?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The set-screws typically work fine, as long as you have at least a dimple in the under surface and use Locktite to make sure the set screw never comes out until you want it to.

I would think that a through-hole could weaken certain types of parts. There are also tapered set studs from the aircraft world that can work if a set-screw doesn't seem enough.
But those usually go all the way through too I think. There was a discussion here a few years ago about that. Might be able to find it if someone doesn't have a link saved.

Regarding weakening parts, I'd prefer not to if I didn't have to, but it seems to me that a shaft that's fully captured 360 degrees by the yoke, would have a hard time letting that weakened condition manifest itself.
I don't know that for a fact. Just seems like it's safe when it's within it's confines.
If it's a wide split yoke, there might be some lack of support, but even then I'm not sure how much it is.

But here's the real bottom line as far as most Bronco steering boxes are concerned:
Number one rule... NEVER drill the input shaft all the way through!;D
Has less to do with weakening the shaft however, as it does messing up and buggering the critical torsion bar that's inside the shaft.
To my way of thinking, that pretty much eliminates any concern about weakness, since you would not be drilling.;)

Now, on the upper shaft... That's a different story and I think you can drill it if you feel like it.
But again, I'm not sure we've ever discussed the set-screw not being enough if it was thread-locked, and the locking/jam nut was thread locked as well.

Maybe there have been cases cited here in the forum and I'm just not remembering them?
Wait for others to throw their comments in the ring to see what the rule is.

Paul

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Just completed my borgeson collapsible shaft install and it put the set screws in per borgesons instructions. I don’t know how well I trust the set screws and I read on other forums about the screws breaking. I have also read that drilling all the way through and using a bolt weakens the shaft.

Any recommendations? History with these?

The only time I've had trouble with the screws breaking was when I tried to take them out after years of being loc-tited in position! I used the red and after that lesson-learned, I started using the blue.

I've never had any come loose over the years. That being said, I like to check them semi-frequently too to make sure nothing's amiss.

Todd Z.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
But here's the real bottom line as far as most Bronco steering boxes are concerned:
Number one rule... NEVER drill the input shaft all the way through!;D
Has less to do with weakening the shaft however, as it does messing up and buggering the critical torsion bar that's inside the shaft.
To my way of thinking, that pretty much eliminates any concern about weakness, since you would not be drilling.;)

There is one other very good reason to avoid drilling the input shaft of the steering box. The end of the shaft has an o-ring that seals it to the torsion bar. Without that o-ring seal the fluid (and I mean ALL the PS fluid) will leak out.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
You can swap out or modify the set screw to be able to "lock wire tie" it..a common aviation application and prectice, to make sure a bolt or nut will not come loose.

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
I've through-drilled and used set screws in steering shafts over the years and have had no issues either way. I don't think power steering shafts experience very strong forces.

My current shaft is a mix of Flaming River joints, a collapsible PS lower shaft with the joints removed, and part of a manual steering shaft as the upper piece. Works great and looks good.

Jebus

Loc.
Longview, WA
I completed a new column and intermediate shaft a couple months ago, used locktite on the allens, locknuts and splines. I then index marked all parts. Took a while to stop checking that lower one at the steering box before driving. I think it is safe if installed properly and inspected occasionally.

I will add that in the heavy equipment industry, any critical bolts not safety wired, are index marked with at least a paint pen...