• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Floor pans to frame off - My cost so far

Smedley

Loc.
Snohomish
Just an FYI from my experiences over the last couple of years. I started my rebuild about 5 years ago. Build Thread -
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200781 I started with a bone stock 1970 wagon, with a 302. I had put a reman’d 302 in and it only had about 20,000 miles on it. All of the running gear, axles, transmission, t-case, functioned well. Only upgrade was disc brakes on the front. It was my daily driver. Floor pans were shot on both sides, so I decided it needed some attention. Well, floor pans turned into a frame off resto after taking a closer look at the body. Door post and pillars, rockers, inner fender skirts, kick panels, front floor pans, and rear quarters all needed attention.
Thus far I have purchased about $1,500 in new panels, and all have been installed. I found a local guy (also another former Marine) that is doing the body work for me at $50 an hour, which was much lower than any other shop around. Underside has been painted; the rest should be done within the next month. When done I will have $5-6,000 in bodywork done.
Initially I was only going to replace what was need to keep cost down. I was hoping to keep the restore around $15,000. After a little more thought, I have decided to do some upgrades. I am adding power steering, power brakes and a FiTech. All have been purchased. I also purchased a complete Centech wiring harness, and CJ Pony Part complete 2 into 1 exhaust. Also have a brand new stock height suspension (installed). There have been many smaller purchases to replace worn or rusted parts.
All told with body panels included, I am at about $10,000 in parts (your welcome TBP) with about $3,000 in labor for body and some mechanical (I had a local guy help me with install for motor, transmission, and a few other items, $40 an hour). So right now, I am at about $13,000, with about $3000 left to go on the body.
I’m sure I have left some things out, but right now, I’m at about $16,000 at this point.
I’m sure I will spend another couple thousand, putting it all back together with all of the little things that I will need that I cannot think of right now. If I had not decided to upgrade steering, brakes and fuel system, I think I would have finished it close to budget. Those three things combined were over $3,000.

This build is intend to be a daily driver again, not a show truck.

I thought I would offer this to help others as they decide on whether or not to take on a full restore. Be careful, floor pans get out of hand fast.

Will

Last edited:

chuckyb

Contributor
Thanks for sharing, it gets more involved and expensive as you go!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Great post!!! You are right, it is hard to STOP!! lol

I put on the brakes after realizing I STILL need to replace some sheet metal from the doors forward but after missing several planned wheeling trips I put a halt to all that needed doing and finished my 3 mo build that ended up taking 10months (with the last 4 months
of those being 14-16hr/days/7 days/week since I wasn't working)...

THANKS for this valuable post... rebuilding a Bronco is like the old Energizer Bunny...it keeps going, and going and going... lol

Good luck finishing up!

Galt72

Contributor
I needed to replace the door posts and wanted to paint it. 6 years and about 35k later it's finally seeing the light of day.:eek:

OP
OP
Smedley

Smedley

Loc.
Snohomish
my 3 mo build that ended up taking 10months (with the last 4 months
of those being 14-16hr/days/7 days/week since I wasn't working)...

Mine has taken 5 years, as I can only steal a few hours here and there each week. Teaching, parenting, and coaching all seem to be a huge time suck....lol

My punishment for dragging this out is driving a KIA mini-van.

Will

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
I am glad you posted this. I have been going back an forth should I do full frame off or just fix it and drive it. I have to stop myself sometimes from going hog wild and just start ripping it apart. I hope I do not need a lot of body work but I think I will be ok. You never know until you get in there and see whats up.

Glad you are making progress.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
A few of the other members here have advised to never keep track of the costs, the mental and emotional trauma are not worth it.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Some day I'm gonna sit down with a calculator and my receipt book and start adding, its gonna get ugly fast, lol.:cry::(

fosgate150

I was going to replace the floors and front door posts... 3 years later and I am just now re-assembling it!! It is easy to say the project grows quickly...

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
The old saying is that it it is cheaper to buy them done then to do it yourself...

But where is the satisfaction in that?

Besides, you get to add a number of tools to your collection. Plus all those take-off parts.

Paint and body is a budget killer, followed by all the small items that add up...

MarcFrateschi

I'm almost in the exact same situation. 5 years ago bought 5k in all new steel. This year it was starting to come together nicely and I let my dad talk me into a coyote engine. I had no idea what a rabbit hole I was about to go down but my build is now around 30k and will be an unpainted tub with a brand new chassis and drivetrain. Oh well. Money is good for one thing...spending!

Good luck on your build.

1971lubr

Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Ha! I started exactly the same way. I needed to replace floor pans and patch a few rust spots. 19 years later and well north of $20k, I have a restored Bronco. The bodies are the killer, replaced about 70% of mine to truly be rust free. That was around $15 with paint, steel and labor.

67RT

Bronco Guru
That can't include paint. And he has gotten help on the cheap. Good for him. I think hard to do all of this for under 25k if using outside help.

Mikesimp70

I'll add my $.02 to this discussion. I don't want to burst any bubbles but ...anyone considering tackling this needs to be Eyes Wide Open.

Im about 60% of the way through a frame up. This is definitely NOT for the faint of heart! I believe I read somewhere that you should just figure 2x in cost and time from what you think it will be. This thought has kept me sane through the process.

It all starts with what you buy up front. My body/frame was solid bones but had been rode hard on the outside and drivetrain/suspension was worn out mechanically. I bought it right. It had been sitting behind a barn for 25 years and had 101k on the odometer.

If I was asked what it would cost all in, I would tell you that if you buy yours right, and have skills to do most of the mechanical yourself you can get there in 2 years and not a dime under $50k. If you can do all the mechanical and body work then you might get under $40k. If you expect to have others do all the work you should be thinking $75k and up depending on bells and whistles.

These are just round numbers but is my opinion so far.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Some day I'm gonna sit down with a calculator and my receipt book and start adding, its gonna get ugly fast, lol.:cry::(

I would not spend the time doing it, I would spend it working on the Bronco. lol

You think one is bad, you ought to try and own/work/wheel on 2 EB's. And have a 3rd EB project on deck...

Means to an end.

Attachments

• frame rig 014.jpg
    frame rig 014.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 100_1917.jpg
    100_1917.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 54

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
That can't include paint. And he has gotten help on the cheap. Good for him. I think hard to do all of this for under 25k if using outside help.
I have more than 16k in my mostly trail rig, new front suspension, paint and body not done yet:(