• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tin and Tar - First Time 68 Bronco Resto

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Yes the videos are definitely helpful. There is another on YouTube that deals with the conversion with a Dana 30 also which is very helpful. The video also suggested to paint the new hub and rotor assemblies to avoid them rusting. I went with the Warn Premium but kept the old stuff in case I ever want to switch back. The Warns go on real nice and easy and look good too.

OK good to know, glad I'm getting all the info before hand! I hate making more trips then I have to! ha ha

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Did not get anything done last week bronco related...had a massive storm come through and it wiped out power for an entire week at the shop. Here's a few pics...

Pops out surveying the storm damage in the hummer
IMG_6953.jpg

IMG_6954.jpg

IMG_6949.jpg

IMG_6957.jpg

IMG_6956.jpg

Did a lot of this waiting for the power to come on!
IMG_6702.jpg

IMG_6840.jpg

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
finally got a few more things done this week. I mounted my original mirror to the windshield frame that I got from Tom at the bronco Ranch. Hooked up my hidden antenna to my retrosound radio. I actually can pick up stations now and use my tunes in my truck which is nice. I removed my old radiator over flow tank as I stated earlier in this thread that it had malfunctioned due to powder coating it and loosing a major portion of solder that held it together. JB weld just didn't hold up where the cap twists on and that gave last year so I've been running a bypassed system. Well, I have a new one that I plan on cerakoting and getting it back to looking original. I cut the PS cooler off the old bracket and re welded it to the new one. I also pulled the PS as it was a used item and was leaking, so I figured I might as well replace it while I had to get the old tank out.
IMG_8416.jpg IMG_7231.jpg IMG_7288.jpg

I also got some work done on the transfer seat. I ran some beads on the seat tray supports and finished the bend and tacked in the up/down control arm. I also clamped the actuator on there to test out how well it moves and it looks great! I just need to make a spacer at the bottom so that actuator runs more parallel to the arm. I also thought about making my own clamps to hold the arm that swings the seat out but I found these 2" id steel clamps on ebay and hoping these might work for attaching my arm to my rollbar.
IMG_7306.jpg s-l400.jpg

Lastly started the tear down process on the front drums and plan on going with Disc up front!
IMG_7292.jpg IMG_7241.jpg IMG_7266.jpg

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Finally got my overflow tank done and the new PS pump back in!
IMG_7231.jpg IMG_7613.jpg IMG_7657.jpg IMG_7764.jpg IMG_7762.jpg

Spindles are off, ujoints at the shop being replaced, hubs cerakoted to match rims
IMG_7686.jpg IMG_7625.jpg IMG_7641.jpg

custom set of wiper arms for lou at LAL customs!
IMG_7812.jpg

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Brake install is slowly creeping forward. I have both spindles and caliper plates mounted. I also got my hubs and rotors put together minus the bearings. I probably would have finished that part of it BUT.. I cheaped out on the bearings when buying the kit and thought I could get some from the local part shop, well I was right but I was disappointed to find out they were Chinese bearings and not wanting to do this over I took them back and picked up some Timkins. Hopefully next week I'll have it back together. I also snapped a bolt off on my diff cover. Tried welding some nuts on it but they kept breaking off, tried an easy out and that kept slipping so I threw a hail mary and tapped the easy out in, welded it, then welded a nut to that...TOUCHDOWN lol. I also visted HOWARD and checked out his operation. He's got a great little shop and some cool things going on!

IMG_8268.jpg IMG_8275.jpg IMG_8298.jpg [

IMG_8245.jpg IMG_8258.jpg IMG_8231.jpg
Few parts I picked up through the bronco connection auction, all blasted and ready to be powder coated.
IMG_8291.jpg

The myth the man the legend with his bronco and ever evolving grill project!
IMG_8197.jpg

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
"...the myth, the man, the legend..." Rydog, you are too funny! More like "the dupe, the dunce, the doofus..."

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Brake job almost done....just need to mount my new prop valve bracket and connect the lines. Thank god as I want to get back to my transfer seat project.

IMG_8298.jpg IMG_8364.jpg IMG_8366.jpg

chuckyb

Contributor
Hi Ryan, the surge tank looks great. Lots of great work there.

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Get that seat done! I am excited to see the finished product!

Thanks Ben, I'll have more pics after next week. The powder coating biz is starting to take off so it chews into my free time. I have two kids helping me out with stuff but theyre only part time but now that this brake job is done, one can help out on powder coating and the other w/ fab work!

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
Ahhh... the brake conversion brings back memories... But such a great feeling when you hit the pedal the first time. haha

I think that bronco you got with the PTO winch bumper should come down south. ;)

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Ahhh... the brake conversion brings back memories... But such a great feeling when you hit the pedal the first time. haha

I think that bronco you got with the PTO winch bumper should come down south. ;)

Like yours it needs new bushings plus front axel seals! then it might be worthy!

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Pretty productive week, got the prop valve mounted, brake lines connected and went to bleed the brakes aaaaand rounded off a stupid bleeder nut on the passenger drum. I posted up questions and thoughts and the consensus was to replace the drum cylinders. Then after thinking more about it those rear wheel bearings probably have never been replaced so I decided to go all out and pull everything. I was able to get the drivers side out pretty easy but the passenger side is giving me hell. I'll be taking a trip to auto zone to rent a slide hammer puller next time I can get back to it...

Anyways, besides one step forward and 5 back on project nightmare (disc upgrade worm hole) the transfer seat project is moving forward. I got it mocked up and everything clears, so i took it out and welded it together. Next step was testing weight on it. I made a tubular bracket that we bolted to the 4x8 post in the barn and put it to the test. i had my buddy jake sit on it first, pass, then had him lower it, pass. Then had him lift himself up...semi pass. I may need to upgrade to a 1000 lb actuator. The 400lb one works but its a little slow. I think my tube slide suffered some heat distortion so its a little tight. It has started to work itself loose but a 1000lb will work like a pro so thats why I'm giving it a semi pass.

IMG_8571.jpg IMG_8579.jpg

IMG_8625.jpg IMG_8629.jpg

IMG_8634.jpg IMG_8635.jpg

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
Nice! Is that the 400lb one or the 1000? I hope the 400 still. Itll slow down with you bodyweight some right?

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Nice! Is that the 400lb one or the 1000? I hope the 400 still. Itll slow down with you bodyweight some right?

It's the 400lb and yes, gets a little sluggish because the tubing that slides together got a little tight after welding. I'm hoping it'll work itself free but I feel like a 1000lbs will work ALOT better and not have any issues