• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Headliner and Insulation

Bronco Maniac

I have not found a lot of info through my searches on headliners. I just put my top on and want to install a headliner and insulate it well. Put the top on due to going to SC and the chance of rain.

I know of the cardboard and fiberglass options. I think the cardboard only comes in white. Someone told me you can paint it. Have not looked much at the fiberglass. Another issue is the top is on and a full family roll bar. I do not plan to take it off. Hoping I have room to get a headliner over the cage and installed. May have to take off but would rather not???

Have you made your own headliner? What type of materials have you used?

What materials have you used to insulate. I have seen something about insulation you can get at the big box stores. Not sure of the name. I have heard of Dynamat and Hushmat or something like that. This may just be for the floor.

Any recommendations or comments would be appreciated.

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
The big box store stuff is for hvac applications but does work for insulation and sound detonating

Lawndart

Loc.
I used hushmat, specifically the HushMat 10401 kit. Covered with a common replacement cardboard headliner. All fit under my rollbar. The mat really quietened things down and stopped any "oil canning" of the top when driving down the highway with windows down.
33109910526_562e3c36e2_c.jpg

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
One of the members from Alaska had a nice write up a few years ago, but he had the top off.

RFP panels would leave you a smooth or textured surface. When I get around to it I'll be using a home made lizard skin. Ceramic beads and latex paint. Much cheaper than buying lizard skin. The current plan is to add some insulation over the beads then RFP panels. Getting the radius on the ends will be the hardest part.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Last edited:

GloNDark

Used the Noico product on my hard top last fall before I put it back on. I sanded, cleaned, degreased and then installed it. Was a huge pain in the butt, have the top off made it alot easier. Then installed a new cardboard headliner from Wildhorses.

I was mostly doing it because I wanted to replace the headliner. I was tired of the snow fall everytime I opened the window. The sound deadner was a bonus for me. I am really surprised at how much it helped with the sound. It made the inside of my Bronco feel more like a "newer" car with a full top. Zero tin can sound.

OP
OP
Bronco Maniac

Bronco Maniac

The big box store stuff is for hvac applications but does work for insulation and sound detonating

I used this on my roll up shop door. Really insulates well. Would not know what to use to stick it on the top. I guess you could use some kind of 3M spray adhesive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bronco Maniac

Bronco Maniac

Thanks guys. I might use either the HVAC stuff or the Eastwood Dynaliner with the Noico.

If I use the HVAC insulation, any recommendations for adhesive?

OP
OP
Bronco Maniac

Bronco Maniac

I used hushmat, specifically the HushMat 10401 kit. Covered with a common replacement cardboard headliner. All fit under my rollbar. The mat really quietened things down and stopped any "oil canning" of the top when driving down the highway with windows down.
33109910526_562e3c36e2_c.jpg

That looks nice. Do you have a similar pic of your finished headliner?

OP
OP
Bronco Maniac

Bronco Maniac

One of the members from Alaska had a nice write up a few years ago, but he had the top off.

RFP panels would leave you a smooth or textured surface. When I get around to it I'll be using a home made lizard skin. Ceramic beads and latex paint. Much cheaper than buying lizard skin. The current plan is to add some insulation over the beads then RFP panels. Getting the radius on the ends will be the hardest part.

Where do you buy RFP panels?

Tom Hartz

Go check out the Bronco I built (Tony,s 69). I used Dynamat, it has a custom soft head liner and a family cage. I would not change a thing, very happy with the finished product.

OP
OP
Bronco Maniac

Bronco Maniac

Go check out the Bronco I built (Tony,s 69). I used Dynamat, it has a custom soft head liner and a family cage. I would not change a thing, very happy with the finished product.

I usually do not look at the builds since they are soooo long. Man that is one sick Bronco. Great job. Lots of ideas there.

tvall

I used the insulation from TBP and the cardboard headliner. I took it to an upholstery shop and had them install the insulation and cover the cardboard with a vinyl that matches my seats. Looks great and has held up for 3 years so far.

OP
OP
Bronco Maniac

Bronco Maniac

I used the insulation from TBP and the cardboard headliner. I took it to an upholstery shop and had them install the insulation and cover the cardboard with a vinyl that matches my seats. Looks great and has held up for 3 years so far.

That is a good idea. A friend said he has installed the material on the cardboard before. As long as you have some help he said it was easy.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I used the foil backed foam from Home Depot. Used spray glue to glue it to the roof. The headliner went right back over it. It's really quiet, and stopped the oil can noise the top made when driving with the windows
open.

h