• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Shipping a 66' hood

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So I have a hood another member here could use for his 66' any clues on crating and shipping? I've shipped lots of parts over the years but don't have a clue about shipping or boxing up a hood.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Take 2x6 and make a square frame around the hood. I would use redwood to cut the weight some. Take flake board and cover one side. And screw it together with drywall screws. Then place the hood inside with allot of cardboard support on both sides so the hood doesnt bounce around inside. Cover the top with flake board and dry wall screw that down. Check that a 2 x6 width is enough or 2x4 may do or maybe have to move up to 2x8. Just have to check what will clear with the bend and height at the front of the hood. This will add significant weight but it has to ship by truck anyway and its not like your going to find a 66 hood lying around when you need one.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Some will say ship Greyhound to save money. If you go this route, you better slice open a mattress and stick the hood inside as they will beat the crap out of it in transit.

Personally, I'd crate it up with lumber as suggested. Build the frame plus one side. Pad the bottom, put the hood in, pad the top, screw the rest of the lumber to the frame to seal it up.

Roadway, SAIA, or even Fastenal would be good choices for shipment.