• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Duffy's 77 Build Thread- Restomod, daily, re-uncut

OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I finally got my vent windows done. Both of them needed new posts, all new rubber, both were dipped in the rust eating solution and then detailed and then I clear coated all the galvanized pieces. I used all stainless hardware and painted the springs. I brushed the stainless, which I still need to work on, it's a little splotchy. I am getting rid of all shiny chrome or shiny stainless on the exterior of the bronco. These little guys took a lot of work.

Attachments

• Vent Windows.jpg
    Vent Windows.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 358

Germd

Duffy,
Looks like you're well on your way to making "lemonade out of lemons". Great job of the small parts detail. Wish I had a powder coater nearby I could trust.
Interested in more details on your vent windows. I'm debating just buying the whole window and hardware new -vs- rebuilding my originals.

OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What would you like to know? The rubber uses rivets that you have to set in. Which are a pain. Same with the posts. I just used a medium green scrubby and got all the swirl marks out of the brushed stainless, I couldn't be happier on how they look.

If yours aren't rusted away, you should rebuild them. I didn't like the feedback on the new ones.

The small parts are all I have to work on, so I am going very over the top:) Next I am detailing out the gas door parts and filler tubes. Then I will start on my 4r70w. I am going to detail it all out, powder coated pan, stainless bolts etc... and a new lokar shifter.

I should be getting the tailgate stuff back from the powder coater this week.

OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I got the fuel doors and filler necks finished. The rear filler neck has some issues, it looks like someone had trouble getting a cap off at some point. I straighten it out as much as I could. Toms said they will have new ones at some point. So I will probably use it till then.

The insides had this crazy yellow substance on them, it smelled terrible when contacted with water. I stripped both, chemical dipped them and painted both. Then got new door bumpers and cleaned out the plastics. The rubber for the plastic door is a pain to deal with! Took me like an hour to get everything off, without breaking anything.

Attachments

• Gas tank door 1.jpg
    Gas tank door 1.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 249
  • Gas tank door 2.jpg
    Gas tank door 2.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 260

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Takes a lot of time and effort to detail each part as you go.

Great job!

OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks guys! I got a bunch of parts back from powder coating.

Hinges, security post and door strikers are powder coated satin silver. I tried to match the satin silver color of my mirrors, looks pretty close to brushed stainless or billet aluminum.

The rest is just powder coated satin black like the rest of my parts.

Attachments

• IMG_4040.jpg
    IMG_4040.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 414
OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The ass is back on the frame! It may someday be a bronco again! Now its time to paint the rear end, then hopefully the front end back installed and install the motor and tranny next week.

Attachments

• IMG_4050.jpg
    IMG_4050.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 460

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Looks great! The slow clean up/restoration of the many little parts takes forever it seems.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I got the fuel doors and filler necks finished. The rear filler neck has some issues, it looks like someone had trouble getting a cap off at some point. I straighten it out as much as I could. Toms said they will have new ones at some point. So I will probably use it till then.

The insides had this crazy yellow substance on them, it smelled terrible when contacted with water. I stripped both, chemical dipped them and painted both. Then got new door bumpers and cleaned out the plastics. The rubber for the plastic door is a pain to deal with! Took me like an hour to get everything off, without breaking anything.

Have you figured out what to do for the little foam gasket that goes between the plastic piece and the sheet metal ?

I searched high and low and couldn't come up with anything.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Explain what you are talking about more?

Between the plastic part on the neck of the fill tube and the inside of the sheet metal there is a very dense closed cell foam gasket to keep it sealed up tight to the body.

I ended up reusing mine even though it wasn't in the best shape.

OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't have them. I wonder if I could it for a ford truck. They seem to use the same doors as did a little later broncos.

OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Started working on my 4R70W install. Advanced Adapters instructions are a joke, literally worse then just googling. The heating the aluminum and cooling the bearing and gasket worked perfectly. That was a great tip. My dana 20 didn't want to come apart, but eventually it all came apart. Both snap rings were also a pain to install.

I still had to use a rubber mallet to get the new spud to seat far enough onto the bearing, you will know you haven't gone far enough because the small snap ring won't go on. Hope this helps. I used the wild horses kit 50-2704A. Everything needed a little love to go together.

The AA kit came with the O-ring and the seal. So I bought those and I wont' need them. Good to know though.

I also used this thread. It was a huge help!

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255139

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (4).jpg
    FullSizeRender (4).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_4069.jpg
    IMG_4069.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_4065.jpg
    IMG_4065.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_4064.jpg
    IMG_4064.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_4061.jpg
    IMG_4061.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_4060.jpg
    IMG_4060.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 323
OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok, I had to cut off a little more then 3/4" from my awd 4r70w shaft. I used a cut off wheel, and spun the tranny as I went, I took my time and the cut was almost perfect. The amount I picked to cut was .8", I wanted a little bit of play to not put strain on anything. Then I installed the new JB Custom "J" type stainless twin stick. Model PN- EB20JT4. Which bolted right on. I'm pretty happy, now I need to do the shift kit on it.

I changed a bunch of the bolts out to stainless, I just like the way it looks.

Attachments

• IMG_4082.jpg
    IMG_4082.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_4080.jpg
    IMG_4080.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_4074.jpg
    IMG_4074.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_4078.jpg
    IMG_4078.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_4070.jpg
    IMG_4070.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 415
OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cutting the crossmember wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I will get it welded up today and then off to powder coat tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_4075.jpg
    IMG_4075.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_4083.jpg
    IMG_4083.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_4084.jpg
    IMG_4084.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 443
OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We are test fitting some body panels to the new inner core structure and put the body back on the frame. It's nice to see the stance a little and the progress seems to be moving along. The tires are 31x10.5. I am still planning on clearing 285 or 275/70-17

Attachments

• IMG_4096.jpg
    IMG_4096.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_4092.jpg
    IMG_4092.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_4094.jpg
    IMG_4094.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 386
OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So, my grill middle is pretty beat up. I was going to replace it but we are going a different route. Here is my grill I am working on. My friend owes me a water jet favor, so I am going for it. It's obviously a clone of the Icon grill, but with some changes. It will have tabs to bolt it on and will be made out of brushed 14 gauge stainless steel. The plan is to cut the middle of the grill out and use the stock headlight buckets.

I hope Icon doesn't get mad at me for this. I wish I could afford one of their amazing rigs, and they helped re-spur my bronco love.

Attachments

• IMG_4090.jpg
    IMG_4090.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_4091.jpg
    IMG_4091.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 447

asappin

I would be in if you ever decide to sell these. That's my favorite part of the icon bronco

OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Finished the welding on the crossmember. I don't have the bushings, so lets hope I cut enough out! Turned out pretty darn clean

Attachments

• IMG_4099.jpg
    IMG_4099.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_4100.jpg
    IMG_4100.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_4101.jpg
    IMG_4101.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 452