• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dakota Digital HDX Install

willtel

Over the past two days I installed a Dakota Digital HDX instrument cluster into my 1977 Bronco. It wasn't too difficult but it did take some time and wasn't without some frustration. I also installed the optional GSS-2000 gear position sensor so the display will show what gear is selected on the column shifter and a DIM-1 Light Dimming Knob so I can dim the display at night without pecking through the menus.

The HDX system includes new sensors for oil pressure, coolant temp, and sender to convert the factory gear driven speedometer to a digital type.

ed_nt_251.jpg

This is the gear position sensor being installed. To get to this area I had to unbolt the front driveshaft from the transfer case and tie it out of the way.
No Fun by willtel, on Flickr

The kit includes a bracket and linkage rods for a C4 and other popular transmissions. The hardest part about the whole install was drilling a 1/8" hole in the shift bracket to put the linkage rod in. Since I didn't have a ton of clearance I couldn't get the drill bit straight and it wouldn't start cutting. After two broken drill bits I made a little divot with a tiny carbide burr for a Dremel tool and finally got the drill bit started.

With the rod installed in the hell hole.
Shift Sensor by willtel, on Flickr
I dented each end of the rod with a pair of dykes so the rod can't work loose and bolted the driveshaft back in.

Here is the speedometer sensor installed with the included cable. You can also use a GPS speedometer with another module if you want to go that route.
Speedometer Sensor by willtel, on Flickr

I tied the wires for both sensors to some other harnesses and ran them up the inner fender and under the dash. I will need to plug the hole in the firewall from the old speedometer cable.

Wires by willtel, on Flickr

This is the new oil pressure sender. It screws right into the spot where the old one went.

Oil pressure sensor by willtel, on Flickr

This is the coolant temp sensor. I used to have a mechanical coolant temp gauge and removed it to install this one using the supplied adapters.

Coolant temperature sensor by willtel, on Flickr

Once all the sensors were installed I got onto the wiring. All the indicator lights from the factory cluster get wired into the Dakota Digital control box along with the wiring from the new sensors. There are lots of connections to be made along with power and ground wires for the main control box and a separate box that runs the shift position sensor.

r4Uhily.png

If you look close at this pic you can see the dimmer knob mounted underneath the steering column. It came with an aluminum knob and bezel that matches the dash well.
A few wires by willtel, on Flickr

Once all the connections were made I turned it all on and did some testing. The control box has bluetooth and Dakota Digital has a phone app you can use change all the settings without using the two button menu on the display. You calibrate the speedometer using the GPS on your phone and tell it what type of fuel senders you have and that is it.

Testing by willtel, on Flickr

Overall this thing is very cool. It has a little pezio speaker and you can set up alarms to trigger for nearly any setting it can read like low oil pressure or low fuel. Once I tell it how big my fuel tanks are it will calculate range to empty and I now have a low fuel light and an accurate speedometer. You can change every color of the display on the fly too. If you want white gauges and red needles during the day and pink gauges and turquoise needles with purple text at night it can be configured. It is very bright and easy to read and it is nice to have a digital readout of oil pressure and water temp along with analog gauges. It also has service mileage reminders and loads of other stuff that can be added to it like a tire pressure monitoring system.

p0mETxz.png

Attac

Contributor
That little gear shifter arm is made of diamond dust or something. I had to do the same thing with a carbide burr and I have a terry drill with really good bits that wouldn't even scratch it when I was installing mine. Crazy.
As a side note:
Talked to Dakota last week. they have a version of the HDX coming out in October-nov that is gonna look just like the layout of the bronco origional speedo. I don't know how they are integrating the tach and info center but the guy said it would look like the factory speedo cluster.
Chuck

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
I can't wait for my HDX to arrive (hopefully this Thursday). I ordered it a LONG time ago but it's a custom setup so it took a while. 4k tachometer and 100mph speedo with add on's for Boost, fuel pressure, pyrometer, wideband, gps, and dual water temps. Now I just have to figure out where everything will fit!

OP
OP
W

willtel

That little gear shifter arm is made of diamond dust or something. I had to do the same thing with a carbide burr and I have a terry drill with really good bits that wouldn't even scratch it when I was installing mine. Crazy.
As a side note:
Talked to Dakota last week. they have a version of the HDX coming out in October-nov that is gonna look just like the layout of the bronco origional speedo. I don't know how they are integrating the tach and info center but the guy said it would look like the factory speedo cluster.
Chuck

I couldn't believe how hard that arm was to drill.

I do wish the speedometer was a little more realistic. I can't see ever having the need for 160mph speedometer in a Bronco, at least not with me in it.

I can't wait for my HDX to arrive (hopefully this Thursday). I ordered it a LONG time ago but it's a custom setup so it took a while. 4k tachometer and 100mph speedo with add on's for Boost, fuel pressure, pyrometer, wideband, gps, and dual water temps. Now I just have to figure out where everything will fit!

I had no idea they did custom ones but I did see this one Velocity had made after I ordered mine.

36729297_493109867808362_1855049052916285440_n.jpg

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
I do wish the speedometer was a little more realistic. I can't see ever having the need for 160mph speedometer in a Bronco, at least not with me in it.

I had no idea they did custom ones but I did see this one Velocity had made after I ordered mine.

That's why I wanted 100. They were pushing for 120 due to some way the needle will read something or other logarithmic....blah blah. My $$$$ it's 100!

And since I'm going 4BT i don't think I'd use more then 3/8's of that 8k tach so it's going to be 4k! Should put both my peaks right about 75% of the sweep.

Sporto

Thanks for the write up. I have the older series Dakota gauges (VHX) that I just installed. I am concerned about the way the speedometer sensor harness butts up against the 3spd shifter mount. I have the three speed Hurst floor shifter on mine, and there is a mounting bar that drops behind the TC and bolts to one of the bolts in the back. This basically creates a wall that really binds the Speedo setup. I think it will work, but it really pinches the cable connection. I may try something else.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/willtel/43080544095/

Your picture shows exactly what mine looks like, except I have the bracket that I mentioned.

Anyone run into this with their installation?

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
That's pretty normal. My old setup and now the HDX look the same. It's not a "cable" drive just electrical and nothing there really moves.

Michael Wells

Looks amazing. So I ordered one, but now have realized I missed the fine print that says the housing (Bezel) not included. The black one in your pics looks new...I can't find one anywhere aftermarket......was that the original?

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Would not want to be in the bronco when the hdx hits 100 lol

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Of course they have HDX,still waiting to get my VHX up and running.

jsfrv6

Dakota Digital stuff is top notch. There cooling fan controller is second to none.

Vincen

I have a VHX gauge with an AAW harness. Dakota recommends tying into the taillight circuit for tge DIM connection. Can I use one of the dash light connections instead?

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
For you guys that installed a Dakota Digital cluster, where and how did you choose to mount the control box? I'm installing mine this week and need some ideas.

Thanks!

SDBMtber

You can actually bolt it to the back of the gauge cluster. I tried that when I was building up my dash on the dining room table. Once I bolted it in, it was too close to the cowl on top and looked like it would bump. Also, would make it impossible to remove and install/remove any of the wires.

Ended up just doing some adhesive velcro to the back of the cluster and control box. Plenty of strength to hold it in place, but then can easily pull down a few inches if I need to access for some reason. Seems to work ok so far!

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Velcro for the win!! Thanks, I will try that.

Another related question. DD claims that you need to use their senors, I get it for the oil pressure and water temp, but if you have EFI, especially Explorer OBDII EFI, if you install the DD VSS for the speedo function, where does the ECM get its VSS signal? I was going to call DD to ask, but I'm guessing that some of you guys already Have figured this part out.

Anyone route the DD sensor wires into the cab via the old speedo hole? Or did you use the temp and pressure wiring from the ECM harness?

SDBMtber

Can't help on the VSS. I used the DD VSS signal because I'm running a pro flo 4 EFI.

I didn't really read them, but I thought that DD had some information about using other speed sensors? There's a calibration procedure, so as long as you have a sensor that provides a number of pulses per mile (ppm) within the allowable range, I would think you could use whatever?

I routed my VSS wire from the transfer case over to the driver frame rail. Then up the frame rail with the rest of the aft end wires and in through the fire wall. I just ran the oil and temp along the top of the engine and popped in a hole in the firewall near the throttle.

Good luck with it!