• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Spawn build (72 Bronco rebuild) (On the road finally!)

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thanks guys! I am way past ready to drive this thing. The ladder is funny, I told my wife I would build her a step to get in. She didn't even blink when I said it!
It has no drive train in it right now. I have a heavy cage as well. It has a WH 3.5 suspension lift and the 1 inch body mounts in it. I am hoping it drops a couple inches or more. I am planning on heavy bumpers and a tire carrier mounted to the rear so I am sure that will help.
It is a lot taller than I expected it to be, it makes the 33's look small. My last Bronco had basically the same set up and was not nearly as tall. Thats been a while though. I bet it works out in the end.
Thanks for the replies, Always Appreciate it!

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
On a side note: When you are so excited to get the panels on and see what it looks like DON'T FORGET TO PUT THE FRESH AIR INTAKE ON BEFORE YOU INSTALL THE PASSENGER SIDE FENDER!
I guess I will fix that mistake this weekend! HA!

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That looks awesome Steve! Great job on the paint.

Hank

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thanks Hank! It looks good from that far away for sure. Mine is going to be driven pretty hard so I still have a few flaws in the finish. I am more than happy with the way things are turning out! Can't wait to see yours finished as well!

Have a good one Sir!

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Oh and I have to give props to my Buddy Kris. He shot all of the paint products and did the body work where it needed it. I replaced all the metal but if its not in a spray can I don't know how to get there from here!

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
So I got the transmission and transfer case installed the other day. Today I was going to install the engine . I got my flywheel resurfaced and picked up a Luk clutch pack. I went to get the bell housing and could not find it for the life of me. I searched everywhere and no luck, I have no idea what I did with it. I called a few of my Friends hoping they would have one but no luck. Last resort I went to the local scrap yard, after about an hour I was about to give up when I found an older 302 (70's model) laying in the back of an old Jeep (not sure why), it had the bell housing attached. So 20 minutes later I was on my way with a new to me bell housing and a huge smile on my face.
Got it all cleaned up and painted so tomorrow I can stab that engine. I will post up some pics tomorrow when I get done. The day started out pretty crappy but ended up pretty sweet in the end!

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So I got the transmission and transfer case installed the other day. Today I was going to install the engine . I got my flywheel resurfaced and picked up a Luk clutch pack. I went to get the bell housing and could not find it for the life of me. I searched everywhere and no luck, I have no idea what I did with it. I called a few of my Friends hoping they would have one but no luck. Last resort I went to the local scrap yard, after about an hour I was about to give up when I found an older 302 (70's model) laying in the back of an old Jeep (not sure why), it had the bell housing attached. So 20 minutes later I was on my way with a new to me bell housing and a huge smile on my face.
Got it all cleaned up and painted so tomorrow I can stab that engine. I will post up some pics tomorrow when I get done. The day started out pretty crappy but ended up pretty sweet in the end!

I suddenly don't feel so bad for rebuying the clutch and brake lever bushings I lost....

Hank

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
That's pretty minor in comparison for sure! I wasn't going to say anything but I thought someone would feel better about themselves after reading it. I still haven't found the other one, no idea what I did with it. Oh well!

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
On a better note, I did get the engine in today. A total fight all the way, just the way I like it! I thought I had a big enough hole cut in the trans hump for the np435 to fit, I was wrong again. The drivers side of the top of the transmission was hitting the floor. I couldn't jack it up high enough to stab the motor. Long story short, I won, finally! Tomorrow I am taking a saw to it, that will fix that little problem. All that B.S. sure made my drink taste that much better when I finally got home!
Here is a pic just to show that I actually got it done!

Attachments

• IMG_1496.jpg
    IMG_1496.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Today I worked on finishing up my cage. I need to install it before I start wiring since my cage goes through the dash.
I needed to install my seat belt mounts and finish up some welds I couldn't get to when it was built in place.
My rear seat has belts built into the seat so all I had to do was weld on some outside tabs to hold the latches. I am installing 3 point belts in the front and sometime down the road I will install them in the rear as well. I made some weld in bungs with 7/16-20 threads for the bottom to hold the mechanisms. I made a jig to make it easier to drill them straight. I used a 2" thread protector off of some pipe we had at the shop. I cut it in half and welded a guide to the outside at 90 degrees for a 5/16 bit to go through. I used a hose clamp to secure it to the cage in the spot I wanted and drilled away. I removed the jig and stepped up drills until I got to 3/4" which was the O.D. of the bungs I made. Worked pretty slick! Here are some pics in case it helps anyone out.

Attachments

• IMG_1506.jpg
    IMG_1506.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1503.jpg
    IMG_1503.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1501.jpg
    IMG_1501.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1499.jpg
    IMG_1499.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1497.jpg
    IMG_1497.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I headed down to the shop after work and finished up painting the cage tonight. Hopefully I can get it put in Friday or Saturday. I can't wait to see it back in there, been way too long on this project!

Attachments

• IMG_1508.jpg
    IMG_1508.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1509.jpg
    IMG_1509.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 73
OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I got the cage installed today, no body around to help but I gotter done! I was able to get the firewall insulation as well. I used the rubber one and like how it looks, it was easy to install too, thats always a plus.
I started installing my urethane hood pin kit and discovered the bolts are too short, no one in town stocks the right kind so I guess I am going to order some up tonight. Oh well, made some progress anyways. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1523.jpg
    IMG_1523.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1522.jpg
    IMG_1522.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1521.jpg
    IMG_1521.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1520.jpg
    IMG_1520.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 91

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Rock on Brother. Can’t wait to see it in person.

Hank

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I got my windshield frame from the glass shop the other day. Work detained me until today. I got the hinge sealed up, bolted on and installed, I still need to do the rubber gasket in the middle. Here are a couple pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1537.jpg
    IMG_1537.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1538.jpg
    IMG_1538.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 106
OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I did some small stuff today, all my bigger projects are waiting on parts. I fixed my passenger air inlet box. The plate on the bottom was rusty so I cut out a stainless one to replace it and riveted it in place.
I bought a used console from a member on here, I had to modify it to fit inside my cage bars on the floor. Gotta have them cup holders!

Heres a couple before and IMG_1527.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1542.jpg after pics.