• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hand Throttle for use with manual trans

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Who has pictures, parts list, etc that they can share with me for hooking up a hand throttle on a 2100 2 barrel carb to use with an NP435. Seems simple enough, but not interested in re-inventing the wheel (or having to think too much).

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bicycle brake cable and lever. It operates from middle finger. The connection on the carb side was easy..just used the same detail used to connect cruise control cable..

Attachments

• shifter.jpg
    shifter.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 252

knack

Contributor
I used a bicycle shift cable too, worked fine & EZ hookup.

Now I have an original Bronco hand throttle on the truck. About the same results, but more fun. Kind of like starter pedals on old trucks or hand operated windshield wipers.

Nothing Special

I bought a hand throttle kit from one of the more Jeep-oriented on-line retailers (I forget which one). The lever is on the shift lever with the cable running down through the shifter boot. I did have to think a little about hooking it up to the carb (I think mine is the 2100 2-barrel as well), but it wasn't all that complicated.

80-finished_shifters_9d9feacd7ef859eab6f64ef6c6c5b3708b7ee2b0.jpg

80-picture_php_pictureid_141352_72f764e1c37362e4ce07be731c7fcf6bbc7bdde9.jpg

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Im sure most of yall have an old 10 speed bike layin around that you can get either the hand brake and cable or a shifter and cable that can be robbed for this useful accessory

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Hand brake is better for a manual and the "clicker" shifter is better for an automatic. You use a hand throttle differently in an auto vs. a manual.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I too have the Hand throttle on my Bronco .. It's been on for about5 years. Mine is onmy diesel. SO HANDEL just attached to the shiftier of myNP435 .. With something like a worm gear clamp. Then cable out to the motor area ... & sINCE MINE IS ON MY DIESEL . I had to find where it needed to be. Drilled one small hole about 1/8 in dia. Put in a cable stop Brass item . Screwed it to the throttle on injection pump. Put cable through the Brass cable stop ..
My throttle lever had a twist screw on it tighten it up until it'll hold the throttle as you drive. MY WILL stay adjusted for months at a time . Som times I'll give it one new twist.
... I know your not supposed to use it as a cruise control But I've done that also driving to town . On the farm it's wonderful. I use my Bronco to pull some farm equipment from time to time . It's even better pulling say a grain drill in plowed dirt ..
Just lift up the Idle a few hundred RPMs & your fixed for a week. Kick back & cruise . BUCKET SEATS .. Power steering ... Radio tunes .. & Cold Beer in the seat beside me.
.......I ordered mine from the back of one of the 4x4 magazines that have mostly Jeep crawler stuff .. Mine cost about 25.00.
I lost that little brass item & bought another from a parts store it came out of a choke pull kit. it was $13.00.. But back when I had my parts store I had them just the bras item maybe Dorman ..or Help.. for about 35C.
... YOU'LL LOVE IT.

Tomcat2

Scoop
You brought up a good point. I'm interested in a clicker (shifter) style. I imagine it stepping up rpms (300?) with each click and holding it steady without having to hold pressure on the lever. Perfect for winching, air compressor, etc. Maybe a little more dangerous since it won't have a return spring (momentary) if you let go like a normal hand throttle.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Ford had an option for a dash-mounted throttle control - my 70 has it. It connects to a linkage on the pedal itself. I would be far more inclined to use something like that instead of running an extra cable through the firewall and connecting to the carb. I believe in simplicity and reliability when it comes to critical connections like the throttle. Would hate to end up with a stuck throttle due to conflicting linkages. Call me paranoid...
See if you can find the stock pedal linkage and then just hook up a bicycle brake lever or click shifter to it via cable. I think that's the better/safer all around solution here.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Ford had an option for a dash-mounted throttle control - my 70 has it. It connects to a linkage on the pedal itself. I would be far more inclined to use something like that instead of running an extra cable through the firewall and connecting to the carb. I believe in simplicity and reliability when it comes to critical connections like the throttle. Would hate to end up with a stuck throttle due to conflicting linkages. Call me paranoid...
See if you can find the stock pedal linkage and then just hook up a bicycle brake lever or click shifter to it via cable. I think that's the better/safer all around solution here.

I've had the stock manual throttle in my old 69. It's much more cumbersome to use in a wheeling situation than a hand throttle like everyone is talking about. I do understand your concern for a conflicting set up.

Scoop
You brought up a good point. I'm interested in a clicker (shifter) style. I imagine it stepping up rpms (300?) with each click and holding it steady without having to hold pressure on the lever. Perfect for winching, air compressor, etc. Maybe a little more dangerous since it won't have a return spring (momentary) if you let go like a normal hand throttle.

When wheeling the brake lever is better to control or blip RPM because you don't have 3 feet to operate all 3 pedals at once. (Heel and toe is difficult in a rock crawling situation when you are bouncing around!) In an auto the clicker type is useful to set a higher and steady RPM and then use the brakes to moderate speed. Works great in a rock garden. Yes, the clicker type will work well for helping in winching and with an air compressor.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
there is no need to run a cable out through the firewall. the factory hand throttle had a bracket attached to the top of the gas pedal that the hand throttle cable attached to. get one of those or replicate it or fab one up you personnally like and hook the cable to it. or just run it down with the shifter and through the floorboard and back up to the carb or fuel injection TB

Nothing Special

I have the clicker type with a manual in my Bronco. I really like that. I've never used one that would automatically return to idle, so I can't say for sure, but I really don't think I'd like that as well as the clicker. I use mine to step up the idle when the engine is cold (manual choke with no fast idle cam).

When I need a foot on the brake while letting out the clutch I set the idle higher before letting out the clutch. I can use it like a more typical hand throttle, but there's really no need to. Just setting the idle higher works well, without needing to feather the throttle. And there's really no safety issue with having it not automatically return to closed throttle. It's only idling at about 1500 rpm usually, so it's not like it's going to speed off once the clutch is engaged.

I do the same thing with rock crawling, especially when crawling up a hill, setting the idle up a click or two to keep the engine from stalling. Of course the 4.3:1 Atlas helps keep the speed low enough that I can do that without beating everything up too bad.

As far as conflicting linkages possibly binding, I don't see that being a concern. If you look at the pic of the connections to my carb (above) you can see a pretty long cable run from a bracket on the firewall to the throttle. That's the hand throttle. The foot throttle of course is the solid bar below that. When you open the throttle with the hand throttle the stock linkage pushes the gas pedal down. And when you open it with the foot feed it puts some slack in the hand throttle cable, but there's nothing for it to get hooked on, so that's no big deal.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I found the "spring return" setup that I posted pic of earlier to be perfect for extreme rock crawling with the NP-435 trans, especially since my rig didn't have enough overall gear reduction; I really needed to add and subtract throttle constantly.

My future plans for that rig definitely included an Atlas or similar...but I sold it instead.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
i use pedal bike brake lever clamped to the t-case shift handle. Chunk of rubber hose to take up the slack around the handle on the t-case shiftier. Route the cable down to a tiny bracket on the bottom lip of the dash where the cable sleeve is held to the bracket with a adjustable barrel like the bikes use all the time. The cable is longer and runs to the top of the gas pedal assembly. I hook the cable to one of them ball chains like you find on the pull string of a light (you can buy chain cable by the foot at hardware store and they should have a box af parts to connect them as well.).

This way you have nothing running to the carb and through the firewall. The ball chain allows you to move the gas pedal by foot still. The ball chain is a safe and easy way to link the bike cable to the carb via the gas pedal. nothing can really get in the way to make the throttle stick ever and you can use your foot and hand throttle smoothly at the same times.

Look through my build thread i may have pics there. the barell adjusters on the lever and at the dash attachment point allow for some fine tuning. I used to screw it out a bit to keep the idle up high but found it easyer to use a few hair ties the girls leave around the t-case shifter all the time to just pull some pressure on the brake lever.