• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carb Rebuild Shops

ryan97

Loc.
Richmond
Any recommendations on carb rebuild shops? I have seen different shops online advertising rebuild and refurbishment for anywhere from $100 - $400 (Holley) and wondering who has had good results from any of these?

67RT

Bronco Guru
I used National Carburetor just to get a rebuilt Autolite 2100 and all is good 2 years later

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Stock carbs are pretty easy to rebuild the parts kit is probably less than 30.00 bucks

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I've used two shops over the years. Gottafish up in Oregon sent me back a carb that still had grease caked on the underside. Not only was it not removed, but painted over as well. When installed, the carb didn't run correctly. I contacted them and they told me I must have done something wrong when installing it and said they rebuilt it correctly. Another carb I had here ran fine. Their carb is still sitting in a box in my garage needing to be gone through again. Complete scumbags.

The carb on my '68 was rebuilt by A&G in Chicago. Great guys to work with.

http://aandgcarb.com/

I need to have another one rebuilt for a different Bronco. I'm thinking of trying it myself as they are supposed to be pretty easy to do. Although being as busy as I am at work, sending it out and having it done would be the easiest and probably fastest route.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Another one to stay away from is KP Carbs. I had a similar experience to Justino. Guy did a poor job and went outside of the scope I gave him. Long story short, I had to go through the carb again and he f'd it up pretty good. I rebuild my own now. It really is easy. The only reason I sent that one out was to have the plating touched up. I definitely regret that decision.

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd go with National Carburetor as well. They have done 6-7 for me and come back looking brand spank new. All I've ever had to adjust was idle and turn auto choke . Great job.

Blue71

chuckyb

Contributor
I have used Pony Carburetors for both my Mustang and Bronco Autolites. Very pleased with both.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi,
Get the parts, a few basic tools, do some late night youtube research and you'll be fine! Carbs aren't hard to rebuild plus you'll be better able to work on your Bronco in the future.
Good luck!
:cool:

67RT

Bronco Guru
It is pretty easy on a 2100 but to buy all of the solvent to soak the unit overnight for something I would hopefully do only once was not worth the hassle. Just buying that much solvent is $30.
Luckily the last time mine got a clogged passage it was very clean inside and I just needed to blow everything out with carb cleaner and put back together. Bur for full rebuild I would soak overnight.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since I used to own and operate a carb rebuild shop back in the 80s, of course I still do my own. Couple of "notes" on the 2100s though

1. Excessive wear in the throttle shaft bores can be a problem. They can be bushed, but not without some skill and machine tools.

2. The two emulsion tubes on many, many 2100s are cracked longitudinally..many for their full length. An unfortunate byproduct of ethanol in fuels is brass embrittlement. You cannot, to my knowledge, buy the boost venturi assembly as a new part; I remove those from every 2100 that passes through my hands as junk just to see if I found a good one to stash away. The crack(s) can be hard to spot..so you need to know to look for them.

3. The rebuild kits usually do not come with new floats. Those are sold separately. ALWAYS replace the float too. 100% always.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I sold Tomco for several years .. Most were good. But It seemed to us that most were just as good as the core they started with.
...I felt they would have been good if Tomco had done better Quality Control .
... Champion was about the same not sure if they are still in BUSINESS.
.... If I weren't doing it myself I'd want Pony I think..

OP
OP
ryan97

ryan97

Loc.
Richmond
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have rebuilt a few 4160s and a couple of 2100s, but as mentioned in some of the threads, after $30 for the kit and $30 for the solvent and the time and effort and fumbling with little parts that always get lost on my work top and I can't see - it is easier IMO to just ship it off and get it back clean and ready to go...

RODRIG3911

Loc.
Tucson
I've used that national carburetor place as well twice in the past, and they ran great! Google "National Carburetor"..