• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Snow + 10° = BTH (Being Towed Home)

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Finally had some snow in KY today. Took the Bronco out for a drive this AM. Had a great time and then the engined died. Couldn't get it going with Starter fluid. Luckily, someone stopped to help and dragged me home. Not a proud moment.

No experience with carbureted engines and cold weather but I'm assuming I should have known this would happen.

IMG_8338.jpg

IMG_8326.jpg

IMG_8335.jpg

Digger556

Finally had some snow in KY today. Took the Bronco out for a drive this AM. Had a great time and then the engined died. Couldn't get it going with Starter fluid. Luckily, someone stopped to help and dragged me home. Not a proud moment.

No experience with carbureted engines and cold weather but I'm assuming I should have known this would happen.

View attachment 439833

View attachment 439829

View attachment 439830

Hmmm, carb should be okay in cold weather, especially if it was already running and warmed up.

Check your ignition wiring. If it didn't pop off with ether, then I would suspect lack of ignition. Perhaps the cold and vibration broke an old, brittle wire OR snow packed in somewhere and put extra strain on a wire.

A more far-fetched possibility is that something old and brittle came loose in the carb and allow excess gasoline into the engine, flooding it out. But I suspect you would have smelled gas if that were the case.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Sorry to hear. Never had issues with cold weather with my two. Just really hard to get it fired up when everything is cold. After they warm up, no issues.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Check for moisture in the distributor cap or moisture on a dirty coil top. If found then spray liberally with WD_40 and wipe out the excess. Spray the ignition system before the rainy season to avoid moisture intrusion. In these old trucks keep a can around their not as water proof like the newer cars.

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If it didn't even hit with starting fluid, it's not the carb. Probably no spark like others are saying, or a broken/stretched timing chain.

Good luck!

OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
If I spray starter fluid, it will 'try' to start but won't stay running. I'll check those areas. Thank you.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
well that sux. Sounds like something that would happen to me

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
Takes air,fuel and spark to run
One of them is missing

Last edited:

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Nothing like a Bronco to ruin a good time. Mine's been towed home 3 times, but each time was a learning experience and an opportunity to address an issue such that the same failure won't result in me being stranded again. Fool me once...

Your description of the engine starting briefly with starter fluid but dying screams of a fuel delivery issue. Check your fuel lines, filter, pump, etc.

Once fuel has been ruled out, spark would be the prime suspect.

American180

Loc.
Mount Washington, Ky

I really wish mine was ready to drive. I would love to be out playing in this stuff. Having a carburetor doesn't matter, I made a lot of money plowing snow with my first 74. I agree with it being a fuel problem. Probably fuel line freeze up. If you can, put it in a heated garage over night and thaw it out. If it fires up, I'd add some fuel additive to the gas.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I’m going with ice in the fuel. All it takes is a very small amount of water to create a dam. Low spot in fuel line even in the tank around the pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
I say throw the starter fluid away. It’s hard on any type of engine, use your can of WD40 to spray instead. It will and can run with it and lubricates at the same time, doesn’t wash the oil off the cylinder walls like ether.

OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Not that I needed another reason to call myself a dumbass but I was out of gas. And it took me all day to figure that out.

Digger556

Not that I needed another reason to call myself a dumbass but I was out of gas. And it took me all day to figure that out.

That sucks, but we've all had similar moments.

I just did the same things while tuning a chainsaw that sat for 20 years. Ran when I put it away, won't start a week later. Pulled for 15+ minutes before checking the gas tank.%)