• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My DonNell build thread

OP
OP
P

price209

Loc.
Folsom
I had heard that too, but I figured with all the guys doing it, there are probably a few tricks, maybe the type of media used can keep temps down.

Bdhand

Contributor
I'm like you I am trying to do as much to the Bronco as I can. I just don't want to screw it up LOL!!! I may look at getting some of those disc's

OP
OP
P

price209

Loc.
Folsom
Well, I finally got some work done on the rig. I changed up gears and decided I want to get it up and running before I do paint and body. So I pickrd out my paint cleaned up the core support and engine bay and went to town. Now it's time to put drivetrain back in and get it driving.

Attachments

• 20171009_135745.jpg
    20171009_135745.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 20171009_135753.jpg
    20171009_135753.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 20171008_160919.jpg
    20171008_160919.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 138
OP
OP
P

price209

Loc.
Folsom
Back at it a little this weekend. Bought all new brake line, hoses, master cylinder, and proportioning valve. Bent and flared all the hard lines myself, which was a new thing for me. I got a pressure canister brake bleeder from a friend and wow it makes bleeding the brakes easy. Got it all wrapped up and have good pedal feel and no signs of leaks anywhere in the brake system.

Also went to a local Napa parts store that builds hydraulic lines and they were able to cut and splice my factory bronco steering box high pressure hose with the explorer power steering pump high pressure line to complete my explorer front dress parts. Engine transmission and transfer case should be going back in the truck next weekend if all goes well.

Rocko1012

looking GOOD, Where did you purchase brake line from and is it cost effective to buy and build on lines? What tools are needed?

OP
OP
P

price209

Loc.
Folsom
I bought a 25' roll of line from Amazon and it came with all the fittings I needed. I think it was only $25 for the roll. Only tools I used were a double flaring tool, a tube cutter, and a tube bender all of which can be borrowed from a local autoparts store like ORielly's or Autozone. Took me about 3 hrs start to finish to install everything. Part of why I did it myself was because nothing on my rig is stock anymore, I have full width Dana 44 from a 1977 f150 and a full width 9" rear end from a 81 bronco. I did buy the center hoses for the front and rear and I bought premade Dana 44 lines that were made for my full width axle which had the caliper hoses built in to them. All new lines and hoses from master cylinder to wheels cost me about $120 where as the kits from the vendors are close to $300 and I wouldn't have been able to use a kit since I don't have stock axles. Here is a break down of my costs.

Roll of brake line with fittings $25 (Amazon)
Dana 44 Lines $45 (ORiellys)
Front extended brake hose $37 (Tom's)
Rear extended brake hose $14 (ORiellys)**

I used a 77 F150 rear hose which is 5 inches longer than a stock 73 bronco hose but with the same connectors on both ends so I didn't have to buy the expensive extended hose from one of the vendors.

OP
OP
P

price209

Loc.
Folsom
Got some work in this weekend. Was able to get the motor back in the truck (not running yet). Took a lot of time, even taking the wheels off and lowering it to the ground, i had to pull my oil pan ( luckily it was still empty) to get to motor up and in, after that it fit like butter.

Next came my first attempt at custom fabrication. Forgive the welds because I am not a welder and only have access to my grandpa's old stick welder. I have only welded a couple small things so still trying to figure it out. Used some angle iron and some dom to make the 4r70w crossmember. It fits great and tucks in right behind the np205 front yoke so the front driveline won't be an issue. Still need to bolt up a support for the np205.

Attachments

• 20180122_210307.jpg
    20180122_210307.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 20180122_202708.jpg
    20180122_202708.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 20180122_210113.jpg
    20180122_210113.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 54

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
The welds will get better w/more and more practice...

OP
OP
P

price209

Loc.
Folsom
Got some more work in today. Radiator and cooling system are in minus a fan shroud, and the heater core has been bypassed for now. I put the oil pan back on because it was pulled the yesterday to get the mootor in the truck and i needed a new gasket set to put it on. I hate having to pull off parts to put parts back on, but I couldn't get the oil pan in without dropping the track bar.

The power steering system is in and all lines connected. The carb got put in and the linkage is connected. Put on the Bronco Hut shorty headers and they fit perfect. No interference with the transmission at all, they are a really nice piece.

Getting really close to being able to fire it up. Just need fuel lines, transmission cooler lines, the coil needs to be mounted, and the battery wiring connected.

Attachments

• 20180123_192820.jpg
    20180123_192820.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Put on the BC Broncos shorty headers and they fit perfect. No interference with the transmission at all, they are a really nice piece.

Sometimes it works with no complications right.. Keep up the good work

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Awesome build! So cool that it was your Grandpa's and he is getting to help! :cool:

I love that color, engine bay is beautiful!

OP
OP
P

price209

Loc.
Folsom
She's Alive.

So after a little wiring to connect my starter, coil, and new 4g alternator I was ready to fire up the motor my grandpa and I rebuilt almost 2 years ago. Got all excited turned the key annnnd, click.

Fast forward after checking battery, wiring, grounds, etc., it turned out to be corrosion on the jump wire from the starter mounted coil to the starter itself. Cleaned that up turned the key annnnnd, well she turned over but wouldn't fire.

Fast forward again now checking all my wiring finding nothing wrong. Then going to borrow a voltmeter from my father-in-law checking all my wiring again finding nothing wrong. Thought i wasn't getting spark but actually I was so now what. So I forgot to cap off the vacuum lines on the carb. Plugged those up, turned key again, cranked for about 10 seconds then...

[youtube]ZbFbpTQSJlg[/youtube]

Last edited: