• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

First 4 wheeling trip of 2018 - AZ, Four Peaks Wilderness

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
The weather here in AZ has been amazing, but with all the holiday activities I haven't had a chance to get the Bronco off road until this weekend.

The family was just looking for mild wheeling and hiking, so we headed out around the Four Peaks mountains. From a map we picked FR 43 which connects Hwy 87 with Roosevelt Lake and Hwy 188. I'd never been on this road, so didn't know exactly what to expect. Turns out it's just a dirt road with a few rocky patches. I never bothered to even lock the hubs. But the scenery was great. Some rain a few days ago greened things up a bit, although Roosevelt Lake is still really low. There was even some snow on the back side of Four Peaks!

I also got to play with a GPS app on my phone, BackCountry Navigator. Does anyone else have this? I bought it a while ago, but never really got a chance to sit down and play with it. The map below is a screen shot from the app. It's a bit cumbersome, but still a useful tool when heading out to an area I wasn't familiar with.

Anyway, not the most exciting wheeling, but it was great to get the whole family outside and away from video games and TV.

Attachments

• 2018-01-15 08.38.04.jpg
    2018-01-15 08.38.04.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 2018-01-14 14.33.38.jpg
    2018-01-14 14.33.38.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 146
  • 2018-01-14 11.59.28.jpg
    2018-01-14 11.59.28.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_4012.jpg
    IMG_4012.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 102
  • Img_4024B.jpg
    Img_4024B.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Img_4008.jpg
    Img_4008.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 102

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like a nice day to go driving through the desert! Thanks for sharing.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
That's a great drive, Jon! And you're right, the weather right now is perfect for Bronco driving. I drove mine to work today.

Todd Z.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I'll take "almost" ANY day wheeling compared to watching the tube or computer games... looks like a great day Jon!

What's the name of the lake in the background? Looks like a fun trip...

Thanks for posting up!

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
looks like great weather, a lot better than here that's for sure.
anyone else have any info on the backcountry app?

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Good stuff man, Glad y'all got out and about..

Great pics

75Bronc

I live about 20 minutes from Roosevelt on the outskirts of Globe. Cool ride! Can you still connect the 188 and 87 over 4 peaks? Or is it gated off?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I live about 20 minutes from Roosevelt on the outskirts of Globe. Cool ride! Can you still connect the 188 and 87 over 4 peaks? Or is it gated off?

Pretty sure it's still open. That's the route Jon took and it would really stink to go all the way over the mountain and then have to come back.

The route over Reno Pass, which is further north off of 87, was closed years ago. That was a fun route.

Todd Z.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Pretty sure it's still open. That's the route Jon took and it would really stink to go all the way over the mountain and then have to come back.

Wouldn't that be quite the surprise and pisser.. lol

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I think that second pic is a Calendar shot!! ;)

It's good to get out in the nice weather and exercise the ol' Bronco.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You come upon a gated crossing on a forest service road, cut the lock, but shut the gate, thats a cattleman or miner trying to keep you out, they can't do that.

Another little secret is sycamore creek a little further up 87 past ballantine trailhead, as you cross the creek take a left and follow creek down to it go west, into round valley or log corral canyon, on google it shows it as srv rd 393, but it's a forest service road by another name, can't remember which. It goes all the way to Lake Bartelt but no real way to cross verde unless summer and low flow. Great scenery, temp drops about 20 with deciduous trees and springs all over.

Took this shot backside of sugarloaf peak on sycamore creek further down:

BTW, that "rock" in the creek is about 40 feet high.

Attachments

• sycamorecreek sugarlaof.jpg
    sycamorecreek sugarlaof.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Yes, FR 143 was open all the way from Hwy 87 to Hwy 188. We didn't double back on FR 143. We took the highway (188 north to 87, then back south into town)

Very nice! How far was the drive?

One way, the trail took us about 3 hrs + highway time there and back.

What's the name of the lake in the background? Looks like a fun trip...
Todd's right that the large lake on the east of my map is Roosevelt. If you mean the smaller, thinner lake to the south, that's Apache Lake.

clarrance

Bronco Guru
It's been 25yrs ago, but I also drove the road to Roosevelt. It's an awesome drive. I also used to hang out at the Verde River near Fountain City. Is that play area still open or is it houses now?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
It's been 25yrs ago, but I also drove the road to Roosevelt. It's an awesome drive. I also used to hang out at the Verde River near Fountain City. Is that play area still open or is it houses now?

A lot of the Verde right north of Union Hills is on the reservation so I think access is limited. However, you can still access it just north of the Rio Verde development(which has a lot more houses than it did 25 years ago!).

Todd Z.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

I'd take any of that warm cruising weather right about now....

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Looks great - love that kind of country