• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering Wheels

redfishtony

Loc.
Thomasville GA
Can anyone tell me if there are any other steering wheels out there that will fit my 69. I know the size helps without power steering but I would like to change it out to a smaller unit. Would maybe an older ford truck wheel fit? Also, why are the dang horn buttons so expense? (I'm cheap) Thanks for any advice.

slim811

Contributor
I'll be following your thread Tony. I am wondering if the 71-77 F150/250 or even the 74-77 Bronco wheels will work on the earlier 66-73 columns? Seems like later models a little smaller diameter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The Ford trucks from the early Bronco days also were mostly built without power steering and their steering wheels were as big or bigger.

The later Ford truck steering wheels will not match the early Bronco steering column as more and more was added to the column so they became fatter and the wheels were made to match.

Swapping in a later model year column or going to an aftermarket wheel are what you're looking at to get a smaller wheel.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I don't think there was a change to the splines where the wheel attaches to the shaft. But there were several variations of horn button slip rings which were part of the turn signal switch.

Aftermarket wheels generally use an application specific adaptor but the steering wheels typically use the same 3-bolt pattern.

slim811

Contributor
I don't think there was a change to the splines where the wheel attaches to the shaft. But there were several variations of horn button slip rings which were part of the turn signal switch.

Aftermarket wheels generally use an application specific adaptor but the steering wheels typically use the same 3-bolt pattern.

Thank you, I figured the horn wiring would be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gray gables

would love to get an all wood wheel for my 67. But it has an automatic column, wondering how I would go about doing this?

golfobx

Loc.
Suffolk, Va
i ran a forever sharp wheel...its wood...and it looks glorious, and fits well too!...specifically the mahogany muscle wheel

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Do you want a wheel that resembles the stock Ford part? If truck wheels that were all the large diameter hard plastic types through '77 won't work for you, maybe a 15" Mustang type will. Grant makes 3 spoke Mustang style wheels with stainless spokes and wood or rubber rims. The adapter kits are model and year specific. I went with a stock '78 Bronco column and wheel. These are 15" and some have thick rubber rims. At least it's 100 percent Ford Bronco, just a year newer than my '77. The horn and turn signal switches were fixed with the '78 model.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Now I'm wondering if any of the steering wheels from Ford cars made in the 1960's might be smaller, since cars were first to get power steering, but would they fit a Bronco?
Probably hard to find any Mustang originals, but what about from a Comet or Fairlane?

72Sport

Bronco Guru
I sold a couple of steering wheels off both early sixties Ford trucks and the 60-63 Falcon Rancheros. The bezel in the center of the horn ring were different but the wheels were the same. The horn contacts etc were different than the later stuff but the wheels were interchangeable. I have one horn ring and all the contacts around here somewhere. It has been about 10 years since I sold them on ebay. The wheels looked reasonably new with just a few scratches and no cracks.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Various Ford vehicles used horn relays, while others did not. Even during the same model years. Even some Ford trucks of the same year and model got relays, while others did not.
With Broncos at least, those without relays had two copper contact traces on the back of the wheel for the horn power to pass through. Those with relays ('74 and later) had a single trace. So they're incompatible with one another for that reason at least.

Same might apply to swapping from another model vehicle.

Paul