• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Will this buff out?

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Holy crap pulled the head and found this mess, caked oil on pistons, rust on cylinder walls, what appear to be sleeved cylinders (maybe this is normal not sure) coolant pooled on top of lifters in #5 and #6...red flags everywhere.

Head gasket is intact so not sure where the coolant is coming from.

I'm starting to build a track record with these six cylinder engines.

I need to make a decision asap looking for suggestions, I have a 200 bottom end that looks like its in good shape, even better after cracking this thing open, but the 200 has a cracked head. Can I switch the oil pan and pump from the 170 to the 200 and find another head?

NOTE: engine ran like a top, didn't smoke or overheat, I don't believe it was driven for about 16 years before I bought it a year ago

Thanks

Attachments

• 170pistons.jpg
    170pistons.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 174
  • 170head.jpg
    170head.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 164
  • #6 2.jpg
    #6 2.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 184
  • #1cyl.jpg
    #1cyl.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 159
OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
disregard the coolant in the lifter valley part, it was just fresh oil that looked similar to the coolant in the water jackets...I'm extremely color blind %)

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
dang man and you were getting close. looks like it had just a few miles on it. with all that carbon build up I am surprised it ran real good

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I'm not really surprised at what you found when you popped the head. Yes all the Bronco stuff can bolt on to the 200. The 170 is not sleeved, they just look the way. What is wrong with the head? If you need head work I find a later head with hardened inserts, but then you need the bigger carb. Good luck

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Nothing wrong with the head, just cruddy like the pistons. I've cleaned the piston tops, valve faces, combustion chambers and mating surfaces of block and head and plan to reassemble tomorrow after I mount the Offy adapter...and install the 3/4 exhaust port divider. Thanks guys

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Its amazing how white the exhaust are with all that carbon inside. I guess they never got this engine up to full temperature. Ive never seen the inside of an engine that looked like that. Ive seen bad buildup on top of the heads and lifter galley but never inside the cylinders. Just think the commotion you would have caused if you sea foamed that engine and then drove it.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
With that much crud I would pull the pistons and clean the piston ring lands so you dont have problem with the rings sticking. All that crap in the cylinders must have given you 10-1 compression ratio. Thats why it ran good. Probably will get a power loss once its cleaned up.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... Sorry but I must be missing something. I thought most all look like that when you took them apart.
RUST & stuff has been on most I've pulled down if they've set a while.