• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dealer option bumpers??

Mtymse63

Working on my barnfind '74 Sport and hoping to keep as much of the Bronco in "original" condition as possible. I've researched and found a few posts and old advertisements showing the bumper/winch setup on my Bronco as I believe a dealer option. Mine are painted and not chrome as I've seen on a few posts. My Bronco also has the driver side internal control panel for the winch.

Does anyone have the ability or information to confirm or deny whether these might have been a dealer option?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0385.jpg
    IMG_0385.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0386.jpg
    IMG_0386.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 188

Broncitis

MEB Founder
It's possible they were locally fabricated (or mail order aftermarket) and dealer installed. But they do not look like any factory authorized accessory offering I've seen.

The only way to confirm these would be with original paperwork from the dealer or having 1 or preferably more that can from the same dealership with the same bumpers.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
It's possible they were locally fabricated (or mail order aftermarket) and dealer installed. But they do not look like any factory authorized accessory offering I've seen.

The only way to confirm these would be with original paperwork from the dealer or having 1 or preferably more that can from the same dealership with the same bumpers.

Totally agree. These don't look like any dealer added bumpers I've seen, but I won't rule it out completely.

OP
OP
Mtymse63

Mtymse63

Here are a few pics of the one Bronco with nice bumper and winch & controls similar to mine (this one is a nice chrome though). The advertisement is one of a few I've seen. Kinda with you guys thinking this may be an aftermarket maybe installed by dealer.

Attachments

• IMG_0387.JPG
    IMG_0387.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0388.JPG
    IMG_0388.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0390.JPG
    IMG_0390.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 125

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Those are the Factory authorized Warn bumpers. I have one on a customer's rig here now and another I'm picking up in a few weeks.

That and the Koenig PTO winch bumper are the only two factory option bumpers I know of.

Runk was a company out of Ohio that made heavy duty bumpers which I've seen a few that people claimed were dealer installed.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If it was the same company spelled Runck, they made a lot of center consoles and middle seats too.

The bumpers in the later pics look more like the standard bumpers I've seen a lot of. The ones on yours Mtymse are taller in section and I've seen those too. Just never seen their like in factory literature. Nor were they very common around here.
Seen 'em, but not very often.

Just one of many companies out there back in the day making accessories for Broncos. And the individual dealers could install anything they wanted in most cases. Just depended on who wanted what and when.

Mine had what I used to call Barden bumpers. Not because I saw any labels or part numbers, just that they looked most like the Barden offerings from back then. Saw others that way too.
Mine were likely installed in or around Billings, MT and could have been from a dealer or local "Jeep shop" or local metal fab place that liked to use lots of diamond plate!

Paul

OP
OP
Mtymse63

Mtymse63

Thanks for info gents. I believe this vehicle was originally from a dealership in Sequim, WA so it may make sense that the dealership could have worked with someone in MT. Very solid and well built bumpers and thinking of cleaning up and repainting just to keep "working man's" look of the Bronco.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thanks for info gents. I believe this vehicle was originally from a dealership in Sequim, WA so it may make sense that the dealership could have worked with someone in MT. Very solid and well built bumpers and thinking of cleaning up and repainting just to keep "working man's" look of the Bronco.

Gonna buy it..? :)

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
This is supposed to be a dealer installed PTO winch and bumper, forget the name.

Attachments

• Listed.jpg
    Listed.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 68

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How many of them got holes cut through the grille for the driveshafts?
I thought I remembered them coming up under the front of the grille, but the last one I saw was on a '67 I think, and it had one of the bars in the grille removed to clear the shaft.

Pretty sure it was a Koenig as well, but I don't know if it was a dealer installed one at the time of the purchase, or a shop installed one later down the road. But it's been on the vehicle a long time.

Paul

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
How many of them got holes cut through the grille for the driveshafts?
I thought I remembered them coming up under the front of the grille, but the last one I saw was on a '67 I think, and it had one of the bars in the grille removed to clear the shaft.

Pretty sure it was a Koenig as well, but I don't know if it was a dealer installed one at the time of the purchase, or a shop installed one later down the road. But it's been on the vehicle a long time.

Paul

I think the Koenigs for the 6cyl went thru the grill, and the v8 underneath. Nothing like seeing an eyebrow grill with a ragged hole poked in it lol.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
This one clears the grill, I think, has a few u-joints in the shaft. I have another '66 the PO put a Ramsey 12k PTO winch on with 300' of 3/8" cable and a bumper made of 4" channel, 2x2x1/4 tube and 3/16" floor plate. I estimate it all weighed 450-500#. The real kicker was the 1 piece shaft to drive it, they notched out the track bar to clear it.

OP
OP
Mtymse63

Mtymse63

Cleaned up the bumper and found a coup of stamps on back and bottom. Not sure they really correlate to anything. The metal in back has "Kaiser Steel" and on bottom is stamped "924". Although the bumpers are very well constructed and extremely straight, some of the weld jobs don't appear to be top notch.

RODRIG3911

Loc.
Tucson
Supposedly mine was a dealer installed bumper with a warn 5687 winch. I bought it a few months ago, cleaned it up, rebuilt the winch and installed it. Here's some pictures.. Looks the same as other pictures a couple others posted.. The old winch is super strong and looks cool I think. Has cable controls inside 😊

Attachments

• 20170420_121745.jpg
    20170420_121745.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 20170420_121750.jpg
    20170420_121750.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 20170529_132645.jpg
    20170529_132645.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
Mtymse63

Mtymse63

Looks very similar to the bumper on my Bronco which also has the Warn 5687 mounted. Leaning towards thinking this was on of the dealer installed options that cam with this Bronco. The rear bumper is also heavy duty and appears to have similar worksmanship.

RODRIG3911

Loc.
Tucson
I think they're cool. You can buy really fancy bumpers and winches these days, but these old ones with the Warn 5687s just look right at home on our old Broncos :)... 1973 was the end of the Warn 5687 so Broncos after that wouldn't have had that winch on the front from the factory