• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Weldernator question

Nevadasmith

Loc.
Fallon, Nv
So I'm adding a weldernator to my bronco, it's mounted all that is left is the wiring. It's a separate big case Ford alternator, the stock 65a is still in place and wired to the battery and voltage regulator. The question is now that I also have a 120a alternator on the engine should I book it up to the battery/battery's? And do I use one VR or two? My original plan was never to tie in the big one but now it's tempting, especially for off-road lights and a winch, that I don't have yet but plan to get??? The advantage of leaving separate are if I fry it trail welding, oh well oops. The advantages of tying it in are numerous. I'm leaning towards doing a tri circuit, charge, off, and weld.....I can picture that circuit, but should I use 2 voltage regulators???? Or do a new harness use 1 and carry a spare ???? Thanks for your advice in advance.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good question. I have no idea, but would have said just use the single larger alternator until you mounted it up. Since you probably went to a lot of trouble to get both of them under the hood, it would be a shame to not have both avaialble.
Not sure how best to wire it though. Either still working as a standalone that you can switch out if needed, or in conjunction with the other one.

Someone will have ideas though. Most of us would kill for some extra room under the hood. You're used up some of that space already, so you might as well put it to good use!

Good luck. Very interested to hear what others say about it. I'm guessing it's feasible, just not sure how to make it that way.

Paul

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
I think you would need a left/right switch to isolate the two. I'm no electrical wizard but I believe you could do some damage trying to run both in the same circuit, not certain though.

Then you could run whichever would be adequate for the time.

metal1

Loc.
hidesert ,socal
we had a similar set up on our race trucks the main alt was a 160 amp then a small out put alt as a back up ,flip a switch to select between the two .on another note check out the trucks and cars with the big music systems, I`ve seen them set up with 4 plus huge output alts running together to keep up with there demands so it can`t be that big a deal to run multiples

edones06

we had a similar set up on our race trucks the main alt was a 160 amp then a small out put alt as a back up ,flip a switch to select between the two .on another note check out the trucks and cars with the big music systems, I`ve seen them set up with 4 plus huge output alts running together to keep up with there demands so it can`t be that big a deal to run multiples

Some powerstrokes came with dual alts from the factory. I know ambulances did

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. OK I think I ask this question ... YEARS AGO....

... Now My experiences is...
... Back when I had my Parts store. I had ''A'' customer who bought big 120amp alt. He then took them to a guy who Open them up to WIDE OPEN Voltage .10 to 160 or so . It's controlled by the RPM's ... When you take out the ... voltage regulator .. or some part .. As the RPM RAISES THE VOLTAGE RAISES .. So You need a VOLTAGE GAUGE to read what your putting out. When the ALT PUTS OUT ABOUT 120 YOUR READY TO WELD..
... NOW I REMEMBERED THIS FROM BACK WHEN I OWNED MY PARTS STORE.
The alt.s would not last long like maybe a month or 2... 6 or 10 welding . maybe 75 at the most.... & A weld.. was a 6011 rod 3/16.& about 5 minutes each.
as I recall it was a short lived ordeal. .. But the guys using them really liked being able to use them.
.... Now 30 years later I got to wanting one of these. For my 4BT FARM BRONCO.. & I had an endless supply of toasted alt ... Delco 24 SI. 120amp Alt. . From a gas field corp. .
... I never got it figured out before that corp filed bankruptcy.
... But as I read on the ... net ... the Ford alt is the best to make the weldernators but I had Delco 24 SI & That's what I sold years ago.

... So I'm going to watch this to see where this goes .. As I'd still like to have a Weldnator ..

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. if you'll Google my old post you can find this ..
.. I think I HAD ABOUT 30 Responses .
.. I guess I'll mean search.

OP
OP
N

Nevadasmith

Loc.
Fallon, Nv
So an update, I found on a snowplow site that 2 alternator's on on battery is as bad a 1 alt on 2 battery's. If you are doing 2 alternators use 2 voltage regulators, 2 battery's. They say the 2 battery's must never be connected to a common load, but for winching, jump starting or just starting the bronco I think it would be fine? Any how I did a quick sketch of the wiring schematic that was in my head.

My goal is to have the following options, but i think I need 1 more relay to make it all work,
Conditions
1 main 65a alt only, main battery only
2 start both battery's, only main alt
3 accessory, engine off, winch and lights and stereo, on aux battery only
4 welding, main battery and alt in normal mode, aux alt in welding mode, aux battery out of loop
5 winch/jump-start both battery's both alternators on.
6 limp home 65a main is dead running off 105a aux and battery.
There is a large capacitor, a DC choke to help keep the alternator alive. The rod I plan on using is an experimental "Trail Rod" 80xx 3/32 that welds 40-85 amps on AC, DC+, or DC-. Plus a guy I go wheeling with has one of those ready welders, it would be nice to use without everyone removing there battery's.

OP
OP
N

Nevadasmith

Loc.
Fallon, Nv
I haven't got any pictures since I Finnish the mounts and belt tentioner, but here is a couple of pictures will I was in the middle of making mounts and bolting everything up. On the left is the on board air compressor, on the right is the weldernator.