• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

A young man and his Bronco. An adventure hosted by James Duff

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
How many of you Know Steven Schack? Id venture to say not many. A young man who Lives In Nebraska, His Passion for classic broncos was passed down from his father and now he is studying to become a welder and aspires to be an off road fabricator.

Here is a story I'd like to share with everyone that is about to unfold. A couple months ago i didn't know Steven other than we were facebook friends. Sure i saw a few post of his and made a few comments here and there. I even helped him sort out some issues with his brothers Early bronco, which to be honest i had to be reminded he was the same guy. I knew nothing about him until he bought one of our biggest suspension systems. He contacted me and we started a rapport through facebook messaging. He bought our parts during the Black Friday deal so i was pulling his order and helping Suzy ship it. I found out he was 22 and was studying to become a welder and was very passionate about off road fabrication. I told him this will be a great first leap for him into his career and he reluctantly told me he couldn't install the lift at this time. He didn't have a place to do it nor all the right tools. He was also concerned about installing it properly since this would be his first time Tackling not only a 3.5" Monster Lift Kit but also Our 4 link system. I asked him what was the plan and he said he's taking it to an off road shop. I cringed at the thought, Our beloved early broncos are often misunderstood by shops who aren't familiar with them and I was sure he was going to fight an uphill battle with them the whole way. Turns out he ordered wheels and tires from the same shop and they messed up and ordered wheels with the wrong backspacing. A bronco specific shop would not likely have done that. He knew he should be the one to be doing the install and to add insult to injury the shop was going to charge more than the cost of the whole kit! IMO No fault of the shop, but I just couldn't stand on the sidelines while this kid had an opportunity to kick start his career as a welder. Plus learn the finer points of fabrication while installing the ultimate off road suspension on his Bronco. I asked him where he lived, Omaha, Nebraska he said. I said how about I fly up and you and I install it? I don't think he slept that night and at first we were both pretty excited but he still could not find a good place with a good welder and other tools. Momma Duff piped up and said how about he trailers his bronco here? GREAT IDEA MOM!! a couple days later Steven and his Dad were on the road heading to James Duff. Now keep in mind this is really a Christmas story. The Duffs don't do customer installs. The stars just aligned perfectly for this young man and all of us involved are happy to help. I personally believe that each and every one of us can make a difference in this world and in this case I thought maybe Steven will now have a great experience under his belt and use it to kick start his career as a welder/fabricator in the off road industry. He will charge forth with confidence and also make a difference to all the people he helps.

Tomorrow Steven and his dad will arrive at James Duff with his camo themed bronco. It has all stock suspension sitting on 31'' tires. when we are done his Bronco will have transformed into a four wheeling machine! Follow Steven on his Journey as we update this thread through the weekend.

Michael Duff

Last edited:

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
I seen this on facebook. Good job Mr. Monster! Always nice to see another young person w/ a passion for classic Bronco's.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Truly a classy thing to do, you guys have been great and make the Bronco passion even better.

From my wife and daughter's riding with Suzy when we were total strangers to the nights talking with the Duffs at the pavilion at an MEB event, or hearing about the special project, we have many fond memories.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Cool story. Hell of a Christmas present for the kid. I see him being hired as a fabricator by Duff in the future :cool:

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Great story for sure! This kid and his Dad will remember this trip forever!

Nice thing to do for him... crap, now I'll take back half the things I normally say about ya! lol

golfobx

Loc.
Suffolk, Va
Class act. Actions speak to the true character of a person and through getting to know Mike, he is top notch. Thanks for all that you do for us.

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
Thanks for sharing Mike, just an example of the kind of company yall are . I remember the first EB I noticed. My big brother brought home one back in the early 80s . It was lifted and sitting on a set of 36in. Ground Hogs. I still remember the Old School James Duff sticker on the vent window. That was the moment I know I wanted one. That was 30 + years ago. Thanks again for providing great products and support. Have a safe trip Steve Bring on them Pics!

Last edited:

JdoubleC

WOW, talk about a classy thing to do...2 thumbs up to the Duff family!

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
How many of you Know Steven Schack? Id venture to say not many. A young man who Lives In Omaha, NE His Passion for classic broncos was passed down from his father and now he is studying to become a welder and aspires to be an off road fabricator.

here is a story I'd like to share with everyone that is about to unfold. A couple months ago i didn't know Steve other than we were facebook friends. Sure i saw a few post of his and made a few comments here and there I even helped him sort out some issues with his brothers Early bronco which to be honest i had to be reminded he was the same guy but I knew nothing about him until he bought one of our biggest suspension systems. He contacted me and we started a rapport through facebook messaging. He bought our parts during the Black Friday deal so i was pulling his order and helping Suzy ship it. I found out he was a young man at the age of 22 and he was studying to become a welder and was very passionate about off road fabrication. I told him this will be a great first leap for him into his passion and he reluctantly told me he couldn't install the lift at this time because he didn't have a place to do it nor all the right tools. He was also concerned about installing it properly since this would be his first time Tackling not only a 3.5" Monster Lift Kit but also Our 4 link system. I asked him what was the plan and he said he's taking it to an off road shop. I cringed at the thought, Our beloved early broncos are often misunderstood by shops who aren't familiar with them and I was sure he was going to fight an uphill battle with them the whole way. Turns out he ordered wheels and tires from the same shop and they messed up and ordered wheels with the wrong backspacing. A bronco specific shop would not likely have done that. He knew he should be the one to be doing the install and to add insult to injury the shop was going to charge more than the cost of the whole kit! IMO No fault of the shop, but I just couldn't stand on the sidelines while this kid had an opportunity to kick start his career as a welder and learn the finer points of fabrication while installing the ultimate off road suspension on his Bronco. I asked him where he lived, Omaha, Nebraska he said. I said how about I fly up and you and I do it? I don't think he slept that night and at first we were both pretty excited but he still could not find a good place with a good welder and other tools. Mom piped up and said how about he trailers his bronco here? GREAT IDEA MOM!! a couple days later Steve and his Dad were on the road heading to James Duff. Now keep in mind this is really a Christmas story. The Duffs don't do customer installs. The stars just aligned perfectly for this young man and all of us involved are happy to help. I personally believe that each and every one of us can make a difference in this world and in this case I thought maybe Steve will now have a great experience under his belt and use it to kick start his career as a welder/fabricator in the off road industry. He will charge forth with confidence and also make a difference to all the people he helps.

Tomorrow Steven and his dad will arrive at James Duff with his camo themed bronco. It has all stock suspension sitting on 31'' tires. when we are done his Bronco will have transformed into a four wheeling machine! Follow Steven on his Journey as we update this thread through the weekend.

Michael Duff

Mike, Mike, Mike......

You are damn near making me tear up.....
I was that kid once. When I think about how different my life may have turned out if I had ran into you....
Without a doubt.....this adventure will change his life.....

Steve in Orlando

Last edited:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Classy, Classy. Look forward to the progress. Thanks for all that you guys do.

Enjoy your Long weekend. Great Cause

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Way to go Duff's:D

I've done similar things, for similar reasons, it comes with a priceless reward, and has always paid me back 10 fold and in ways I never could imagine. Very COOL

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Great story, Mike! Looking forward to things unfolding.

Todd Z.

P.S. Keep those wheels that are on it in the pictures - forged Ford Alcoas - one of the classics! :)

bbow

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ozark, Alabama
Awesome story. I'll be following this. Maybe you guys can feed that kid while he's there. A strong wind might carry him away.

Sniper

Contributor
Loc.
Omaha Nebraska
I am Steven Schack, and guys I honestly cannot say thank you enough to Michael and the entire duff family and crew for this opportunity and privilege to do this, and I know I'll probably say thank you more than anything else this whole trip but I mean it, I understand the magnitude of a chance like this and I won't let it go unappreciated.

Currently we are exiting Nashville and should arrive at James duff in approx 2 hours. We had a rough start with possible tow vehicle issues hearing some noises but after checking it out I couldn't find the source and pushed on, so far we are doing good, I drove for 9 and a half hours and just got done with a 3 hour nap, so I feel great!

The alcoas will not be going back on the truck sadly, but I'm not sure what I will do with them yet.

if you are following the thread on Facebook I'll be posting pictures up there slot faster because I can do it from my phone but I will update on here as I can get to my laptop

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I am Steven Schack
Currently we are exiting Nashville and should arrive at James duff in approx 2 hours. We had a rough start with possible tow vehicle issues hearing some noises but after checking it out I couldn't find the source and pushed on, so far we are doing good, I drove for 9 and a half hours and just got done with a 3 hour nap, so I feel great!

Almost there bud. Have a great time. We look forward to it.

Congrats

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
What a great story, kind of reminds me of when John Dixon helped my son and I years ago.

Enjoy every moment of this incredible adventure with your dad and the fine people at Duff's.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
I'm not a Facebook guy but I will be following the build on here.
I also made a good living burning wire myself, good luck with the Bronco and career choice!