• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"Rust Never Sleeps" World Build Thread

OP
OP
Alpacket

Alpacket

New (old) frame ...

Picked up a frame (I think a 77) for $100 and ordered a bunch of Eastwood stuff to restore it. Pictures say it all, I think. Pretty cool stuff. The green is rust converter. So is the black splotch. Also made up a bit of a paint booth with tarps and iron pipe (and shower curtain rings). I still have to spray the satin black finish, but so far so good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alpacket

Alpacket

351w

Picked up a disassembled D9 351w short block for $75 on Craigslist, and I can still see the cross hash on the cylinder walls, so I think I'm going to just re-ring the original pistons and go for it. Also got some GT40 heads off a 93 explorer for $220 that look pretty good, so the plan is to get some better springs so I can run an interesting cam, and leave everything else well enough alone. With the frame I just got for $100, I'm feeling pretty good about my CL stalking. I guess we'll see what latent defects I haven't discovered yet.

Last edited:

Nathan43

Loc.
Provencal, Louisiana
Very nice! I can't find anything on craigslist around here. Mostly Chevrolet guys, j-heeps, and buy new every couple year guys around here. The old fords were either beat to death in the mud, scrapped, or never sold in the first place and abandoned to never see the road again. :cry: Keep the pics coming, its keeps us poor (or cheap) ones motivated.

OP
OP
Alpacket

Alpacket

Very nice! I can't find anything on craigslist around here. Keep the pics coming, its keeps us poor (or cheap) ones motivated.

Thanks. Will do on the pictures. I'm right there with you on CL. Just got lucky recently. I'm taking it as a sign from God that he'd really like me to get my ass in gear on this project.

OP
OP
Alpacket

Alpacket

Been a while since I updated. Sorry, I'll post a real update soon. Just wanted to share some photos of parts blasted today. These were mud balls.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alpacket

Alpacket

Progress ...

Okay, so here's where we are. 351w is built. Comp Cams XE258 roller cam. Howards link bar hydraulic roller lifters. Comp Cams Magnum roller tip rockers. Trick Flow thick wall pushrods. Comp Cams double roller timing set. Hedman 88400 1 and 1/2 in. primary shorty headers. Should be pretty torquey. Only snag was a bent connecting rod. Got a replacement from Manny's Speed Speciality in Independence. Nice guys.

Refurbished the C4 with a Scott Drake kit, although its got a pretty good squeak now. Hope that goes away once there's some fluid in it. Also picked up on Craigslist a new Recon FM112 torque converter. Rebuilt the D20 with a WH deluxe kit and lots of reading on CB. Fuel and brake lines are partially run. Had the 9 in. rear center section rebuilt by Gears Unlimited, also in Independence. Looks like they did a nice job.

Altogether, it's kinda in your face. All that red, silver and blue makes me want to salute. By the way, if you see two very different shades of Ford Blue on the motor, your wrong and your eyes are stupid.

THE SUMMIT RACING ROTISSERIE COMES TOMORROW!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alpacket

Alpacket

Roller

Rolling chassis! Rebuilt the D44 myself from the inner axle seals out. Left the center section alone except for the pinion seal, since it all seemed tight. Got all my bearings and seals from WH. They put together just what I needed. New steering linkage kit from Ruffstuff. Pretty cool set up IMHO. Welded up easy and was a bunch of fun to put together. And the guys from Ruffstuff were great. Adjustable trac bar from WH is top quality. Really nice and easy to install. Some interesting shots below. And for those following, thanks for hanging in there with me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alpacket

Alpacket

Wheels

Just got the wheels back from Dad (after a couple of years) and they look great to me. Off White powder coat with a clear coat over that. So I'll be getting tires soon. Here's my question: BFG All Terrain KO2's 31 x 10.5 or 30 x 9.5? Reminder: Lift is a 2.5 in suspension with a 1 in body and uncut. Also, if you vote 31's, any suggestions on what tire shop around KC might fit tires on skinny stock wheels against the manufacturer's recommendations?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alpacket

Alpacket

Rotisserie

Just keep welding, just keep welding, just keep welding, welding, welding ...

For those of you wanting to remind me that I promised to do this in one bay of a garage, I am consistently inconsistent.

Last edited:

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
I like 31's with that lift combo. I got the same setup just with the km2s and the discount over in belton, mo did it but warned me 3 times about it.

OP
OP
Alpacket

Alpacket

I like 31's with that lift combo. I got the same setup just with the km2s and the discount over in belton, mo did it but warned me 3 times about it.

Thanks, broncobsession. I've got a Discount in town (Liberty). I'll try them.

OP
OP
Alpacket

Alpacket

Big smile. I think we've reached a turning point guys (and girls).
9be7ef3f08a33df4c41ec7e75b7d03df.jpg
80ec83255f179075f7b7f044ca06a84b.jpg
bb176e7b8076dd19a8a8468406085dab.jpg

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
nice work ... so you going a frame swap ??
just asking bc. the no matching vins could be a problem !

OP
OP
Alpacket

Alpacket

nice work ... so you going a frame swap ??

just asking bc. the no matching vins could be a problem !

Yep, my frame was trashed. And yes, it could be a problem. Haven't quite figured that one out yet, entirely. But I'm very optimistic!

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Rolling chassis! Rebuilt the D44 myself from the inner axle seals out. Left the center section alone except for the pinion seal, since it all seemed tight. Got all my bearings and seals from WH. They put together just what I needed. New steering linkage kit from Ruffstuff. Pretty cool set up IMHO. Welded up easy and was a bunch of fun to put together. And the guys from Ruffstuff were great. Adjustable trac bar from WH is top quality. Really nice and easy to install. Some interesting shots below. And for those following, thanks for hanging in there with me.

Hey Alpacket,
What pitman arm did you use with your 1-ton steering? Yours looks like about a 2" drop which is just what I'm looking for with my 2.5" lift and a similar 1-ton steering.

ss95003

Yep, my frame was trashed. And yes, it could be a problem. Haven't quite figured that one out yet, entirely. But I'm very optimistic!

Why would it be an issue? if the vin on the title matches the vin on the body arn't you good? vin should follow body not frame.
Also just read through your 4 pages, of updates. very nice work. reading though the thread at once makes you lose track of how long this really took you. Not a knock warning to myself.