• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Opinions and Advice on cleanup, paint and coating underneath the body.

miyagifungi

Loc.
Las Vegas, Nevada
I recently bought a bronco that is rust free and if fairly clean underneath. My first thought was to cleanup the underneath and paint or coat the front and rear end. Then maybe coat the body underneath and the paint the engine underneath the original ford blue. After a couple of conversations with friends I received different views. One point taken was if I were to ever sale this may cause concern for a potential buyer. Its not a 100% original bronco but more of a restomod. My friends and I all agree it would be a good question to ask here on the forum. All opinions and advice appreciated.

Broncos n' VWs

I'm not sure how this would be a concern for a future potential buyer. If you are thinking that you will get more $$ by not restoring / leaving original the underside, I don't think that is going to matter. If one potential buyer doesn't like it, another potential buyer might find it a good selling point. The good news with the Broncos, is that there are more and more people who are wanting one and they are willing to pay up for them. I think that either way you go, it's not going to matter in terms of resale value. These EBs are in fairly high demand, especially if it is a runner/driver and looks good. I am interested to see what opinions are in what undercoating options are recommended.

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
While I agree with parts of the post above, I know as a potential buyer I would have concern with fresh undercoating on a bronco. We all know rust is the biggest issue/concern when purchasing a new project. Personally, I would want to see a potential purchase in its most original form possible and not have to wonder what the seller is possibly hiding. That way I know exactly what I am getting into. Although rust isn't a major concern here in the Southwest, we really don't know where these vehicles have been for the last 40+ years (for the most part). If you really want to undercoat it (not just paint it), I would suggest taking pictures of the underside prior to doing it so you can document its condition. Again, as a buyer, I would appreciate this. We should have probably asked you in the beginning, what type of undercoating are we talking about? When you say "undercoating", I am thinking of the thick stuff they spray (or used to) on cars on the East coast to protect from the road salt. Is that what you are planning?

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
I just went to look at a Ford Ranger for my son last week - his current '04 has lots of rust issues underneath. It was at a small local used car dealer. First thing I looked at was underneath......FRESHLY coated!!!!! The salesman came over and I asked when it was done. "As soon as we got it in" was his reply. I told him " good job of hiding any rust issues" and drove away.

My thoughts only.

Broncos n' VWs

A picture is worth a thousand words... I guess documentation would be the easiest way to show that you did the undercoating in the name of preservation and not cover up of existing issues. My personal opinion is that I don't care for the rubberized undercoating. That stuff that comes in the aerosol can. (Transtar is what my body shop uses). It gives me that used-car lot "protection package" feel.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I agree. I think if you take good before and after pictures of the clean up and undercoating and painting process that potential buyers will be happy with what you are planning. No matter what you do you will get complaints from someone on what you have done. In the end it is yours and you should do what makes you comfortable. I would rather see one protected from the elements than not. Just my opinion. Good luck with your project!

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
I agree on the treating, but let me see it before it is treated so I know what I am buying first........not your Bronco, but any vehicle.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I like the Duplicolor spray bed liner for undersides. I mist the underside with my sand blaster, wipe everything down with brake cleaner, then a degreaser, then cover it all with the bed liner on the tub underside and spray satin black rustoleum on the frame and axles.

I don't see how spraying undercoat hides rust and would scare a buyer away. If you have eyes, you should be able to see structural rust in it natural state or with a coat of black paint on it.

Could you spray a rotted 55 gallon drum with undercoat and all the rotted section not be noticeable?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
If you are planning on flipping it leave it uncoated.

If you are planning on keeping it protect it.

BRONCITIS74

Contributor
You can brush or spray on Rust Bullet, then paint it. I did on my truck after I put in all new floors. If you look underneath, it is a beautiful satin black, but is protected by the Rust Bullet. Just my opinion.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If I was going to that much trouble for something I was keeping to drive (and I will be soon) I would spray Lizzard Skin products to get more than just some protection from the weather and rock chips.
The initial coating is a sound deadener that acts like you stuck on sheets of Dyna-Mat. The second coating is a thermal barrier coating that the undercoating and bedliner products can't match.
And both are needed for a Bronco to be at it's best on the street. If you're still young and aren't bothered by heat and noise, then no real issue. Use whatever you're comfortable using or can afford. As you get older, the heat and noise barrier considerations become way more of a thing.

Yes, carpet and Dynamat can do the job as well. But you're already talking about going to the trouble and expense of undercoating the whole rig, so you might as well spend the extra on the more expensive product and only do it once.

And no matter what you use, get those before pictures that everyone is talking about. Yes, some won't care. But others will. Especially if you opt for one of the thicker coatings. Around here, a bedliner coated body is first and foremost to be mistrusted. Might be perfectly legit, and like said you can often tell a good panel underneath from a bad one. But not always.

Even my current '68 would definitely NOT have been in my stable if I had not seen a build sequence of pics where the cowl was completely removed to fix the extensive rust underneath that nobody would have known was there under a cursory search.
Made all the difference in my confidence and comfort to buy. Even when it was from a friend!

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Although rust isn't a major concern here in the Southwest, we really don't know where these vehicles have been for the last 40+ years (for the most part).

Exactly!
Even 41 years ago when I bought my '71, none of us had ever even thought about rust as more than a surface scarring issue that could easily be taken care of or at least Band-Aided to satisfactory levels.
So it never occurred to me to question where mine was from when I picked it up in Cupertino (when Apple was just a pup!) and it turned out to be a Montana truck. With only 5 years and 60k miles on it, the floors, kick panels and engine compartment corners were already rusted through and through and had patch panels bolted on over them!
What a rude awakening that was. Welcome to the real world after all.

So I'm now a bit more suspicious of things that cover original metal.

Paul

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So, this is what I did if it makes any difference....Blasted the underside, washed and washed and washed, with pressure washer. Took pictures. Sprayed POR 15 up in the nooks and crannies then when tacky sprayed a coat of black epoxy primer on everything. Then masked the engine bay and bed and sprayed Lizard Skin thermal and sound layers. Followed with 3M undercoating. Now that's some nasty stuff. Cleans up with kerosene. Wear a bunny suit if you don't like to scrub with kerosene. Sprayed the Body Shutz in all the wheel wells and inside the front fenders as well as over the Lizard
Skin. Left the bed bare other than the epoxy primer. Tub was on a rotisserie which made it easier. But not easy. Working with all those materials on 105 day in a bunny suit wasn't much fun. But it's done. Whew!

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
I agree with most of the comments. Unless your are trying to do a period correct resto that will never see the rain I would coat it. Even on a high end build it can add some comfort to a buyer that they don't have to worry about chipping the paint, getting it wet, etc.. That being said the pictures are a must! Before cleaning, after cleaning, during application, etc...

I've installed several liners. Durabak was a nightmare, rubbery and scuffed terribly. Raptor is very tough but any spots not properly prepared may pop off and it's very brittle. I put the relatively cheap rustoleum liner in entire engine bay and aside from fading a little bit it's held up like a champ for almost 10 years with no issues, the duplicolor appears to be almost the same. I've put the Herculiner on my John Deere where you put your feet some 14 years ago and although faded it's solid. I just put Al's liner in my tub (over the horrible DuraBak) just this spring. I wanted to LineX it but couldn't get an appointment so I put Al's in. Goes on pretty thick and so far I have no complaints, I believe it's a version of Scorpion Liner and appeared to be the best received and recommended of all the self applied liners. Hope that helps.