• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Advice needed on Floor

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
Hi Guys -

Cranking on the body work now. PO welded floor patch panels over original floor. Driver side has very small, minor rust hole, passenger side is fine but they welded in a patch panel on top of it anyway. Cleaning up a messy bondo job around the patch panels.

I bought a new one piece floor panel and intended to cut everything out and weld in new but second guessing it and really not sure I need to.

What would you do? Options as I see it:

1. Leave it as is and simply linex or raptor line the underside.

2. Cut it all out and weld in new floor.

3. Weld in new floor on top of existing floor and linex or raptor line bottom. Essentially 3 layers of sheet metal. Is that bad?

I know this sounds lazy but the floor is not as bad as I thought. Is it bad to weld another floor on top? Thinking it would act as a good sound and heat shield.

Appreciate people's thoughts.

Attachments

• 20171217_113243.jpg
    20171217_113243.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 150
  • 20171217_113208.jpg
    20171217_113208.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 150
  • 20171216_161103.jpg
    20171216_161103.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 141

nickgp

Bronco Guru
#3 is out for sure, you would be creating a nice place for moisture to collect.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I would think that if the original floor isn't that bad then just replace what is rusted. Sounds like most of it is still in good shape. Ken

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
After having replaced every single floor piece in my rig front to rear I would recommend just patch the small hole and/or areas that are suspect. I don't see cutting out good metal as a good alternative unless your going for some kind of concourse restoration. Jim ;D

lgdpt

I would cut it all out... You have a new perfect one.... you put that in the right way and its like new again.... Patches are a lot harder to make look factory. I always regret it later when I do something the easy/lazy way. Maybe that's just me...

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
I would cut out the patches, and only replace the rusty floor pan. No sense in all that work for very little rust.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If you ever sell the truck the new owner will want to see new clean floor underneath not a bunch of rust holes and a bunch of suspicious excuses. Nows the time to do it proper.

OP
OP
G

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
Yep. Agree with you Rusty truck. Will cut out just the center section woth the holes and replace that but not the other sections that are in good shape.