• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Battery preferences

661buster1963

I usually am tight with the buck and want something that is cost effective in the end. it it costs twice as much as regular but last three times as long that is a good option in my head.

I am in the market for a new battery, only plan to run one. I have talked to my local A1 battery guy, the Optima battery guy, and Interstate reps. I see prices all over the place; 65$ to 300$. Is there a consensus battery make and model that people have had good luck with in early broncos? I have a winch, dont plant to use it much as I play it rather safe and boring off road. I plan to run the radio on isolated circuit with ignition off, no AC, no EFI, probably going with a 3G alternator.

If there is a no clear best at least a brand make and model to stay away from would help me.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Use the search button, advanced search, search titles and type in Battery. There are about a million threads on battery opinions. I'm not sure you'll get a definitive answer, but there's a ton of opinions and experiences with batteries on here.

Good luck!

Jim

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
I looked at the $ for an Optma red top around the well know parts stores. I got my last one on Amazon. Good luck

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can't speak for brands yet because I haven't used my recent batteries for any extended period of time yet.
But without a doubt go with a fully sealed AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery or it's equivalent. They're the ones that cost the most (or nearest the most to be pretty consistent) in standard automotive sizes, but have several benefits that you'll read about.

No more spilled acid or overcharging accidents if all works according to their specification. And plenty of power can be had. I just put a monster one in my pickup from Batteries + (Batteries and More I think they're now called?) and it's a beast.
All of my Optimas have been older and have never let me down and have NEVER failed to fail long after the warranty was up. Like 8, 9, 10 and even 13 years old. Never had another battery do that.

Good luck.

Paul

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I guess I'll get knocked around for this but......I use Wal Mart brand and have always had great luck. All of them have lasted 5-6 years with no issues (some longer). Even those that sit around and are used only a few times a year. ATV and even lawn mower batteries. My ATV battery is dead but it's been 5 plus years since I put it in and it's dead due to lack of maintenance on my part. Damn thing was dry when I checked it last week. Guess an AGM would still be going? LOL So maybe I just debunked my own thought.

I've looked at AGM's (might put one on the ATV see above) and don't want to buy a new charger to deal with them. A deeply discharged AGM can be a real pain to get charged back up. Some have a threshold of 12.2 volts where the Optima is like 10.5 but you still have to have a special charger or another charged battery to "trick" the AGM into taking a charge. Leave the lights on or radio or key on the ATV over night and dead as a hammer and it's not going to charge without the right charger.

If it was below the threshold and you jumped the rig and got it running, I don't think the battery would charge as it's below the threshold and the Alt is pounding it with 14.5 volts. Rule of thumb on AGM's is slow and low......????

If I did more than a muddy road here and there I would go with AGM just for the abuse factor but for the street I just can't do it.

Tim

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
Needing a special charger for an agm battery is a bit of a myth. What you can't do is get the battery hot or leave a charger on it over night unattended as

Typically I leave mine on 2 amp setting and watch the readout on the charger. AGM batteries recover faster so typically long recharge times aren't needed.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I'm referring to a deeply discharged AGM. You have to charge them in parallel i.e. trick them if they get below a level and each manufacture has a different level. I've seen this with my own two eyes. My neighbor left the lights on for a week. Optima red top dead as a hammer. It would not charge till we tricked it and charged it in parallel with another battery. I know it's a rear situation but when it happens it can be a pain.

From the Optima page
Most high-quality, modern battery chargers now have built-in features to charge AGM batteries like OPTIMA batteries. Some have specific AGM settings, which should be used to charge an OPTIMA battery. Do not use gel or gel/AGM settings, as they will not fully charge an OPTIMA battery and could damage it over time. However, even some AGM-compatible chargers will not recharge deeply discharged (less than 10.5 volts) OPTIMA batteries. In those instances, it may be necessary to follow the parallel charging instructions.

Tim

cs_88

Bronco Guru
Interstate batteries at Costco. Hard to beat the cost and quality.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
My walmart battery is 5 1/2 years old, sat for 3 years without being used, but still connected, starts like a champ and never seems weak.

I'm not promoting them. I've just never spent a ton on high end batteries, and have always gotten long life out of the "average" ones.

Attachments

• battery.jpg
    battery.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 30

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ford tough max batteries, google and find a discount coupon, $129 guarantee 8 years. 1st 3yrs free replacement no questions asked, Beat that. Bought one for son wish I saw this before I bought AGMs for two other cars.

The top of that walmart battery looks just like the ford tough max batt.

OP
OP
661buster1963

661buster1963

Thanks all, Currently living in Bakersfield Ca where by all rights we will break a record set in 1913 for more more that 75 days of the year with temps exceeding 100F the weather seems to chew up and spit out batteries. My 2013 F150 daily ride is on battery #3. Thanks for the input(s).

I had checked the search feature and saw lots of schematics for running dual battery systems with isolators, cool stuff too.

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
I'm referring to a deeply discharged AGM. You have to charge them in parallel i.e. trick them if they get below a level and each manufacture has a different level. I've seen this with my own two eyes. My neighbor left the lights on for a week. Optima red top dead as a hammer. It would not charge till we tricked it and charged it in parallel with another battery. I know it's a rear situation but when it happens it can be a pain.

From the Optima page
Most high-quality, modern battery chargers now have built-in features to charge AGM batteries like OPTIMA batteries. Some have specific AGM settings, which should be used to charge an OPTIMA battery. Do not use gel or gel/AGM settings, as they will not fully charge an OPTIMA battery and could damage it over time. However, even some AGM-compatible chargers will not recharge deeply discharged (less than 10.5 volts) OPTIMA batteries. In those instances, it may be necessary to follow the parallel charging instructions.

Tim

I've run into that once before and as you stated they need to be fooled. No big deal IMO. Just remember to turn off drain sources and it never becomes an issue.

The flip side is agm batteries recover faster(winch use for instance) don't corrode cables, posts, underside of the hood along with other sheet metal and you don't have to worry about battery acid getting every where especially in a roll over.

I rolled my 77 back in July. Front clip took some damage from the wreck but no battery acid all over the place.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Well the ATV is getting an AGM. Just bought it. Everlast made by Johnson Controls

Acid battery was $78 AGM was $94. They didn't have any acid in the size I needed all sold out so I bought the last AGM they had in my size,

Time will tell......

Tim

pbwcr

With all this talk about Batteries. Has anyone converted to the iron/lithium. Lots of choices out there and the batteries have much more amp hours per size than lead acid. No, I have not done any research. I bet the cost will be a drawback?
PaulW

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Still having great luck with Optimas....tough too...no leaks...no corrosion...super quick re-charge...
Me likey

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thanks all, Currently living in Bakersfield Ca where by all rights we will break a record set in 1913 for more more that 75 days of the year with temps exceeding 100F the weather seems to chew up and spit out batteries. My 2013 F150 daily ride is on battery #3. Thanks for the input(s).

I had checked the search feature and saw lots of schematics for running dual battery systems with isolators, cool stuff too.

Lots of options out there to choose from Just check out the main ones and get what you need

Good luck