• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

As close to "Barn Find" I've come...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For a quick fix at least, I would, as suggested, scrape and wire brush a bit, then coat first with one of the "rust converting" primers either from Rustoleum (my current fave) or Dupli-Color. Not the type that turns from clear to black, but the type that goes on already black and has good easy spray coverage.
Even as a primer it has very good life expectancy even without a top coat. But as a primer it's also very good.
So a quick shot of some of that stuff and then a color-matched spray can of your color and you're good for awhile until you can (if you even decide to after that) cut-n-patch anything that's bad.

If you have some spots that are to your mind farther along than just simple surface rust, and it looks like you do, I would soak them in Evap-O-Rust liquid overnight.
After that the rust is gonzo. To the point that in bad spots you will now have holes. But at least it's stopped in it's tracks for the most part. Then a coating will help keep it that way, but patching is the only true answer at that level.

I think POR-15 is great stuff. But as a quick covering I don't like it. It goes on too thick and frankly looks like you might be hiding something (which you are in fact) if you don't do any de-rusting and patching first.

And even if this is a forever-Bronco for your family (you never know) I would make sure to take pics just like you did here, throughout the coating process. That way you can show any future shops you have doing work, or any potential buyers just what's under there.

Paul

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Dang Brody, that thing is just too sweet! Keep at it when you can and keep us posted.

OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

Thanks guys! I'll see what the paint shop can do in order to match the paint and sample shoot a couple pieces.

Todays work entailed a lot of 3M adhesive cleaning and installing new weatherstripping. I thought what I bought was a higher caliber product but it left me disheartened...amongst other things. I'm regretting having even touched the rubber since before I could barely swing the door and the latch clicked rattle free and secure. Now I have to slammed the door so hard, my mirror falls out of place. Is there any fix to this? Time and use? Or is my next step a fast pitch to the dumpster??

Anyway, I have a video but doubt I can load it. This is the brand and if anyone has had issues with them, please let me know. After the installation, I saw they were made in Thailand. Is anyone making any here? Are Dennis Carpenter's using OE tooling?

Attachments

• IMG_2443.jpg
    IMG_2443.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2442.jpg
    IMG_2442.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 46

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Yeah, what Paul said! Sounds like you are in 4wd! Awesome looking Bronco though! ;D

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Brody, give me shout when convenient and I'll walk you thru some problems you may be having with the weatherstripping. I will text you some pics in the meantime.
Tyler

OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

Weekly update...though it's been longer than a week since my last post. I've been working as many late night shifts in the garage as possible in order to get this thing back on the road. Here's some of the latest things.

I've been back and forth with various vendors (a lot of snail mail) trying to source proper door weatherstripping...so far, a new batch of Dennis Carpenters arrived from delconick and they've been the best. I've tried Precision, WH, Jeffs, and a new one on the market (can't say who makes it yet) and they all have their plus/minuses. Finding the right one without messing with my door gaps has been the challenge.

I was able to get all three gas tanks dropped, hot tanked, fresh plumbing and 4-way selector valve, along with new sending units. A fresh tune and carb dial (though I'm going to pull that and rebuild it) FINALLY got the ol' gal back on the road!! I've been able to run it around the block several times and get a feel for what's next. The weekend involved a lot of hog rings, heat and stretching of the new upholstery. I have to say, the set of Bronco Hut sport interior is amazing! Shout out to Melissa! I'm very happy with the outcome seeing as my last completed upholstery job was over 5yrs ago;D. Anyway, I should be on schedule to have it roadworthy by Oct. 1st. Next up is the suspension, brakes, and PS.

Looking back, I REALLY wish I had taken more before photos of the interior. But you get the idea. I'll be cleaning the underside surface and using Gorilla tape to avoid more tears. Does anyone have any better tips or secrets to repairing the vinyl floor cracks??

Attachments

• IMG_2624.jpg
    IMG_2624.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2656.jpg
    IMG_2656.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2655.jpg
    IMG_2655.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2654.jpg
    IMG_2654.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2462.jpg
    IMG_2462.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2464.jpg
    IMG_2464.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 89
OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

I don’t have much more progress to report other than having it on the road for the past month. Original Ford PS and PDB parts have nearly all be sourced and waiting for installation along with the suspension. I had a couple issues uncovered with a lift I bought (turned out to be 3.5” not stock height) but got a fill system from WH along with a set of Bilstein 5100s. Excited to see how those ride! Anything’s better than the current ride that feels like a choppy sea. I’ve been hunting for a ‘76/77 pitman arm or full ‘76/77 PS box/pitman combo since the linkage I needed to go from ‘77 knuckles to ‘73 PS box is on back order until Jan. I might just stick with the 6-turn box and move on. Besides that, just a TON of thumbs up, roadside chats, and honks every time I take it out. The wife is starting to get annoyed with how long it takes to run a simple errand;).

Attachments

• 492BD066-DE7D-44C4-A0E7-1FB0271B7753.jpg
    492BD066-DE7D-44C4-A0E7-1FB0271B7753.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 91

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
lookin good, keep us posted on the door weather stripping

OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

Sweet score!! Enjoy!

Thanks! You too!!

lookin good, keep us posted on the door weather stripping

I ended up getting a set from DelcoNick (Dennis Carpenter) and they've been the best thus far. Still have to slam the door way too hard. I'm shocked that even with OE tooling and all the new technology and rubber materials available, that this is still an issue. Maybe with the gaining popularity of these rigs, we'll all have higher quality products coming. Let's hope;)

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I have to tell you I envy you with this truck! I dream of finding a mostly stock truck that is not a basket case or rust bucket. I love the color and the fact you are trying to keep it original. My 67 is nice and I would never sell it but having a truck like this with the cool history and amazing original condition, that some thing special. Best of luck with it!

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks! You too!!

I ended up getting a set from DelcoNick (Dennis Carpenter) and they've been the best thus far. Still have to slam the door way too hard. I'm shocked that even with OE tooling and all the new technology and rubber materials available, that this is still an issue. Maybe with the gaining popularity of these rigs, we'll all have higher quality products coming. Let's hope;)

no matter what the brand of door weather stripping I have had to custom fit it, but some are softer than others

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Nothing better than having it on the road right...? :)

OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

I have to tell you I envy you with this truck! I dream of finding a mostly stock truck that is not a basket case or rust bucket. I love the color and the fact you are trying to keep it original. My 67 is nice and I would never sell it but having a truck like this with the cool history and amazing original condition, that some thing special. Best of luck with it!

Thanks man! It's a special one. I really wish I had taken a picture with the original owner just to have a complete circle of history and new ownership. Oh well, I'll honor his request and "never bring it back here."

Nothing better than having it on the road right...? :)

It's awesome!! So fun to finally be back in the seat of a vintage steel rig. I love my heated leather seats and comfort of my Land Cruiser, but there's something truly nostalgic about driving a 46yr old truck.

OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

After what seemed to be the worst flu season in family history, the time finally came to tackle the long-needed job of all new suspension, disc brakes, and steering components. Amidst the project, I discovered that my quality of workmanship suffers greatly around the 3-4am marker. Nearly all that work resulted in re-doing mistakes. Everything came together (and apart) rather smoothly since rust wasn't an issue. I SO badly wanted to tackle cleaning/coating the frame but was met head on by the factory undercoating. I tried several techniques to rid the stuff but in the end, felt time was more important. I still need to go back and degrease the entire underside and make the decision from there.

Now, for the part the bugs the piss out of me. Bronco Lean. I had it before all the new stuff went on thinking it was 46yrs of drivers weight, off-road beatings, and the added aux/main gas weight, but that wasn't it. I made sure the c-bushings were spot on and THOUGHT the radius arms were level on the concrete but in the end, I still ended up being 11/16" lower on the drivers side. I went back and tried to massage the bumpers since both front and rear have some damage...that helped. I loosened and re-torqued all the rear suspension, jumped around on all four corners, with very little result. My eye still sees the lean and it bugs the s**t out of me! I guess I'll be tearing it apart once more.

In the entire process, I had the rear axle rebuilt, all new inner/outer seals, bearings, wheel studs, fresh rebuild on drums, '77 Factory disc brakes up front, new master cylinder and lines, WH stock suspension lift (does anyone see the stink bug lean?), poly bushings/rubber radius arm bushings, WH adjustable T-style steering, balljoints, hubs, and hoses. I can attest that all those upgrades makes for a much more confidence inspiring drive...especially at higher speeds!! Next up will be 6-turn PS, rebuild the column, drive line refresh, and pull the trans/t-case for a rebuild. Oh, and that 3rd tank that's been sitting on my garage floor for the past 6mo.

Attachments

• IMG_4667.jpg
    IMG_4667.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_4666.jpg
    IMG_4666.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_4661.jpg
    IMG_4661.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_4662.jpg
    IMG_4662.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_4665.jpg
    IMG_4665.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4663.jpg
    IMG_4663.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4664.jpg
    IMG_4664.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 83

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Man, that's some clean undercarriage stuff!

And speaking of 3-am stuff...
Not sure if that's when you did it or if it was just a normal mistake, but the tie-rod needs to be rotated 180° from where you have it.
The angle is looking correct-ish, but the nut should be on the backside and the draglink should enter the tie-rod from the frontside.

You probably would not feel it in poor steering, but you do run the risk sometime I think, of having one bit jam up on another. Perhaps the lower draglink end could lock up on the lower trackbar bolt, or something like that.
I'm not sure that would happen, but you really do need to reverse it out of an abundance of caution.

And while you're at it, you should spray paint the tie-rod end threads too. You definitely did not want to powder coat or POR-15 them, as that's too thick for threads. But regular old paint will not mess up your adjustability and will make it look better longer by keeping the rust at bay.

So just a little more dialing-in in that area, and things should be good to go for the long haul.

Paul