• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

U13 on Pickers right now

T-Bird

Loc.
East TN
It was filmed back in April. Roadster is an August build. Mostly original had not been driven since Dennis bought it about 12 years ago out of MO.

Scott, do you know if the "Pickers" flipped it already, or does the owner still have it?

I went to their store in Nashville, looking to find something cool. They only had a handful of old stuff they had bought on the show...and they were not for sale,
but they had plenty of new t-shirts, koozies, keychains, etc. for sale. I think the whole show is fake...Last night is the first time I've watched it, in about 3 years. I am curious if this roadster has or will pop up for sale by them.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
I think a lot of the big ticket items they already have buyers in mind. Plus they have that other location in Iowa. Shame about Nashville

gray gables

I think a lot of the big ticket items they already have buyers in mind. Plus they have that other location in Iowa. Shame about Nashville
of course they have buyers in mind, just like pawn stars. Half that stuff is sold before they buy it.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Scott, do you know if the "Pickers" flipped it already, or does the owner still have it?

I went to their store in Nashville, looking to find something cool. They only had a handful of old stuff they had bought on the show...and they were not for sale,
but they had plenty of new t-shirts, koozies, keychains, etc. for sale. I think the whole show is fake...Last night is the first time I've watched it, in about 3 years. I am curious if this roadster has or will pop up for sale by them.

I have a friend who edits a lot of footage for shows like swamp people, hard core pawn etc. He said the key to a really good reality show is convincing the viewer that it is indeed real. I do know a lot of the items brought into the show for pawn stars are "staged" as for pickers they do actually go aroud and tour peoples junk. I don't know if they actually buy anything or just pretend...however I do like the show and hope to catch it!

HB73

I work on some of these types of shows. Most stuff is real, but helped along a bit.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Lawndart

Loc.
I know of a guy that rented his sidecar bike to a studio for a month. It was a "surprise" find in one of the container shows.

Scott C.

Loc.
Waynetown IN
Yes, they bought it. I found out about it back in May. I do not know if they still have it, or not. The show only showed a value and not a sold for price. So, I assume they still have it.

k13evin

Loc.
Chattanooga
Yes. They have suckers for everything they buy. It's a reality show I would take it with a grain of salt Just how they made the sign market go crazy.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I like the guys on Pickers, I think they are genuine so I don't mind spending thirty minutes watching it on the recorder. like antique road show I sometimes learn something.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Several years ago, I worked with a guy who restores old motorcycles in NE Ohio.

He was restoring a railroad bike....2 wheels on one rail and an outrigger for the other rail....it was going to a museum (railroad, Harley, Indian??? I can't remember, but I think it was a railroad museum somewhere). He showed me his collection....HOLY CRAP!!!! In the millions in the loft of this small work shop. Has the oldest motorcycle to go cross country and a bunch of really neat old and unique bikes.

He knows Mike for sure and I think Frank, from longggggggggggggggggg before the show. Has dealt with them on cycles over the years. Said they are genuine, nice guys. Lots of stuff is staged/salted for the show.

Pops

rpmgarage22

I have met both Mike and Frank in my travels for a former employer. Spoke with Frank at great length in Kewanee, IL. I won't give away what he was trying to buy...but he has been trying to buy it for almost 20 years...without success! They are very genuine guys...but parts of the show are pre-arranged. They do have buyers for most of the items before the show airs...other wise, they wouldn't show the pricing side of things (it would obviously hurt their ability to negotiate the re-sale if you really knew their purchase price).

I actually semi-caravaned with them for 150+ miles of one of their Midwest trips. We were going the same way, so we ran together and stopped for lunch together. This was completely out of camera view, of course. They were very down-to-earth and their personalities were very close to that of their TV personas. They got a real call from Dannie-D (Oh, what a woman! But, I digress...) and I got to talk to her for about two minutes (she was gushing about my "Southern Gentleman accent"!). No one at the little diner knew who they were, so lunch was very peaceful and laid back. At that time, their Sprinter did not even have the sticker on it or the front license plate from their retail store.

As to the reply about their impact on sign costs, I mostly agree. I have been in the sign "hobby/business" for many years. Prices were really on the rise for the small signs (think no bigger than 3' x 5') before AP even came on the air. It is their impact on petroliana, as a whole, that has affected many of us. It is akin to the "Barret-Jackson Effect"...every man's piece of coal now seems to have diamond pricing...just because "did you see how much they sold it for on 'Pickers'?"

For example, I had brokered a deal for a visible gas pump, one of the last Wayne visible models, from a guy in Georgia. We made the deal on Monday of one week, let's say. But, it was going to be two weeks before I made it down to pick up the pump. By the time I was ready to leave on the following Friday, he reneged on the price...wanting to triple it! His reason? "I saw this same pump on American Pickers for $XXXX...I think you are trying to pull one over on me!" The funny part? HE is the one who set the price in the first place! I even offered an extra $50 so he would hold it the two weeks...he declined...
Anyway, just thought I'd toss in my $0.02...most people could care less about either of those stories, so it is nice to get to share it!;D

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Very cool story, and a great time I'm sure. Great memories

I have met both Mike and Frank in my travels for a former employer. Spoke with Frank at great length in Kewanee, IL. I won't give away what he was trying to buy...but he has been trying to buy it for almost 20 years...without success! They are very genuine guys...but parts of the show are pre-arranged. They do have buyers for most of the items before the show airs...other wise, they wouldn't show the pricing side of things (it would obviously hurt their ability to negotiate the re-sale if you really knew their purchase price).

I actually semi-caravaned with them for 150+ miles of one of their Midwest trips. We were going the same way, so we ran together and stopped for lunch together. This was completely out of camera view, of course. They were very down-to-earth and their personalities were very close to that of their TV personas. They got a real call from Dannie-D (Oh, what a woman! But, I digress...) and I got to talk to her for about two minutes (she was gushing about my "Southern Gentleman accent"!). No one at the little diner knew who they were, so lunch was very peaceful and laid back. At that time, their Sprinter did not even have the sticker on it or the front license plate from their retail store.

As to the reply about their impact on sign costs, I mostly agree. I have been in the sign "hobby/business" for many years. Prices were really on the rise for the small signs (think no bigger than 3' x 5') before AP even came on the air. It is their impact on petroliana, as a whole, that has affected many of us. It is akin to the "Barret-Jackson Effect"...every man's piece of coal now seems to have diamond pricing...just because "did you see how much they sold it for on 'Pickers'?"

For example, I had brokered a deal for a visible gas pump, one of the last Wayne visible models, from a guy in Georgia. We made the deal on Monday of one week, let's say. But, it was going to be two weeks before I made it down to pick up the pump. By the time I was ready to leave on the following Friday, he reneged on the price...wanting to triple it! His reason? "I saw this same pump on American Pickers for $XXXX...I think you are trying to pull one over on me!" The funny part? HE is the one who set the price in the first place! I even offered an extra $50 so he would hold it the two weeks...he declined...
Anyway, just thought I'd toss in my $0.02...most people could care less about either of those stories, so it is nice to get to share it!;D

Specracer

Did anyone ever find out where this truck wound up? Just saw the re air of the show, and was curious. Outside of the side markers, and wrong hubcaps, sure looked like a nice truck.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Did anyone ever find out where this truck wound up? Just saw the re air of the show, and was curious. Outside of the side markers, and wrong hubcaps, sure looked like a nice truck.

I bought it ....%) lol

Specracer

Was it as nice as it looked? If you did buy it, congrats. Any idea how it wound up with side markers? Any other anomalies?