• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Advice on purchase / mechanic in Dallas?

banksy70

Loc.
Dallas, Texas
I'm a newbie looking to buy a bronco soon and I appreciate all advice/help.

The one I'm considering has been completely rebuilt with 3k miles on new motor but owner says it needs the 2 piece rear main seal replaced. I'm getting a good price (~35k) but should that scare me away?

Also, I want to find someone who can work on it. Anyone know of a solid mechanic in Dallas they recommend?

Thanks in advance

Millercorey

Define completely rebuilt. $35k is a bit on the upper end of the majority of what's floating around nowadays it seems, and this is coming from a guy in the Dallas area that looked for a couple years before finally buying one at the beginning of the year. There are certainly plenty of EBs out there that are well above that price point (even $100k+), but it seems like you can find a lot of clean rides in the $20k-$30k range.

Rear main is common from what I hear and a fairly simple fix, but there's a bit of work to get at it. I would expect a shop to charge you several hundred for it. The going rate around town for a rebuild is about $1k, w/ labor added on for the pull and reinstall. Don't let someone sell you on a high dollar build just by calling it a "new-ish" motor.