• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Can I learn to MIG weld on floor pans? (Sandblasted and lots of cheese) pics added

Redbark

I recently completed my passenger floor pan as my first MIG welding experience on my 68 Bronco project. I learned a lot and it turned out ok but the drivers side will be much better. My best piece of advice would be not to rely solely on filling sheet metal screw holes to weld in the floor panels. I found that technique did not work for me. I did not get enough penetration on those welds and I could easily separate the two pieces of metal. I discovered this problem by practicing on some scrap.
What I did was, after shaping the new pan because it didn't fit perfectly, I drilled holes around the perimeter of the new pan (the same spacing and diameter as the original spot welds all over the body), fixed the new pan to the floor with sheet metal screws, and then plug welded both the drilled holes and the holes from the sheet metal screws. This method may be overkill but I'm confident the larger plug welds stuck properly.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
One other thing on welding floor pans. They are galvanized metal and put off some nasty fumes, use a good exhaust fan or ventilation and don't have a fan blowing on your work as it will blow the shielding gas away from the weld and it will pit up on you. A extra word of caution is never clean parts to be welded with Brake cleaner, it will make you very ill. Ken

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
One other thing on welding floor pans. They are galvanized metal and put off some nasty fumes, use a good exhaust fan or ventilation and don't have a fan blowing on your work as it will blow the shielding gas away from the weld and it will pit up on you. A extra word of caution is never clean parts to be welded with Brake cleaner, it will make you very ̶i̶l̶l̶ dead. Ken

Fixed it for you.
It releases phosgene gas.

Welding galvanized steel will only make you absolutely miserable for a day or two.

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
I'm having it sandblasted this week, then a fabricator guy is going to do the passenger floorpans.

BUT, he's very busy, and I'm running out of time. So, in preparation for the possibility that he can't get to anything else that pops up, I'm going to buy a mig welder and start practicing. Yes, I'm going to buy an inexpensive one that isn't just flux. I have a very tight budget and until I sell my mustang, I can't dump $800 - $2000 on a good welder. Even the good brand used ones around here are going for $800.

I will probably have to replace the pieces just for and aft of the rear wheel wells. And I want to close up and flatten out the cowl, as I'm going to be adding A/C soon. I'd like to be able to do those mods myself.

Jim

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
When I took welding in highschool the progression of learning went oxy/gas welding, arc welding, mig, then tig... Most guy made it thru Arc in the 2 year period. I was fortunate enough or good enough I guess to make it to TIG which is real similar to oxy/gas except for the fact your not burning the piss out of your left hand your holding the filler rod in....you only got one pair of thick ass leather gloves and by the end of oxy/gas you couldn't fit your pinky or ring fnger in the glove because it was so heat shrunk! anyways, mig is super easy, get some 18 gauge steel, lap it and tack it on both ends and then drill as many 1/4" holes and practice doing some good plug welds. When that back plate is melted good from your welds your good to go, if you can still see the outline of the hole your not hot enough and not getting good penetration. If I can teach a 15 year old kid to do it you shouldn't have any issues! good luck

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Haven't ARC welded since 8th grade!

Point is moot now. Discovered a ton of rust all over the floor areas. Not gonna pay someone to weld all of it. So................

man o man is that a chunk of fiberglass? well, its like riding a bike...you don't forget!

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Jim are you gonna be welding on the Bronco inside or outdoors?

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Had the interior sandblasted today. It's about what I expected, but NOT what I WANTED. (Not to mention the jacked up ignition switch that the key is now stuck in.

The sandblasting guys, who I really like, referred me to the only body / welder guy the will use. His name???

"Cheeseburger"

Gonna give Cheeseburger a call.

Denno at ButtStank: "NO RUST OR ROT ANYWHERE ON THIS BRONCO!"

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg