• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thickness of steel backing plates for roll cage??

vtboy51

Gonna have some pieces cut for the underside of the body, what’s the recommended thickness?

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D;D;D Should 3/16" to 1/4" plate steel good luck. :D:D:D Bill %):cool:;D

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
X2 on those recommended amounts should be plenty, but remember that they should be bigger in diameter (size) that the top plate foot size. To help spread out any load. Top foot plate 4"x4"..bottom plate 6"x6".

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
just done this last weekend with 3/16, just watch where the holes go trough and you may have to turn the plates different directions.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
1/4 is overkill. 1/8 or 3/16 is what I would consider. For the underside, 1/8 is plenty.

My reasoning is this only really matters if the cage is trying to pull out. The thinner 1/8 can deform but still hold. 1/4 just puts stress lines where it ends, more likely to tear the sheetmetal at that point.

Depending on where the legs line up, it is often on a factory body brace to start with. That make adding plates even more complicated.